A first look
1. Three ‘straight out of the box’ Chaos Dwarfs
2. Let do something about the heads, shall we?
3. So, Mantic�?Ts can�?Tt be turned into Big Hats?
4. Beasts of Dwarfs
In July 2010 Mantic Games started releasing their first plastic fantasy dwarfs in their Kings at War range. First release was their core dwarf unit called Ironclads, but in their plastic range, you will also find dwarf sharpshooters �?" called Ironwatch (can be armed with either rifles or crossbows) and a plastic Ironbelcher Cannon. Mantic will also add metal miniatures to their range as well.
Some of you might have seen me posting in various Mantic threads about their potential being converted into Chaos Dwarfs. Till day, our greatest resource for converting cheap Chaos Dwarf �?" has been the GW BfSP-starter set - that gave you both a whole bunch of dwarfs but also horde of greenskins to play with. With 8th edition Warhammer out �?" and a new starter set in the horizon �?" it�?Ts time to start looking into alternatives.
So I set out to find out what Mantic had to offer �?" so I�?Tve picked up some Ironclads.
I�?Tll be focusing on their plastics (for a start), because they are cheap and much more �?~conversion friendly�?T.
The regular plastic warrior dwarfs comes I various sizes of boxes �?" all at different prices. Most expensive are the small troop packs with 10 models at £8. Cheapest offer is the big Regiment deal with a 60/100 models, at £30/£50. So you can�?Tt complain about price - £0.50 - £0.80 each (RRP). Pretty fair, looking at the alternatives.
I�?Tve picked up a regular regiment box set �?" that comes with both trooper and command alternatives. This box comes at £12.50.
And before anyone gets to excited about this - a few disclaimers:
1. No, I�?Tm not giving up my old school citadel stuff over this.So, what is this �?~Going Mantic�?T then? It�?Ts just an appetizer �?" merely to give you an idea what might be possible �?" and maybe inspire those of you - thinking about starting a (new) evil dwarf army. And do remember that this �?~blog�?T will be so limited by my inhibit imagination. There will be 100s of ideas and alternatives that will never see daylight here �?" so use your imagination and feel free to post any comments and/or ideas.
2. Nope, I�?Tm not turning into a plastic fanatic �?" miniatures should still be made in metal (IMO) �?" but I have to admit, that being forced into converting you own miniatures �?" plastics are more friendly.
3. If you are looking for big ranked units and a hole army of evil Mantic dwarfs �?" please leave �?" cause this isn�?Tt the place to look.
4. Paints, did I hear anyone says �?opaints�?�? Don�?Tt expect to see them all painted. Will probably try painting a few of them, to give you a review about how they take paints - but as said I�?Tm not here to do an Mantic army