[Archive] Mini Series/History Channel

Malificant:

so i have found that i enjoy a good mini-series much more so than normal shows. that is with exeption to the History Channel, as their series are great. ones i am a fan of are:

Firefly (mini series serenity is based on)

Band of Brothers

Rome

Deadwood

Tales of the Gun

also, a while back i remember hearing something about a channel making “A Song of Fire and Ice” miniseries, based off george rr martin’s book series. anyone know if this ever happened?

cornixt:

What is the difference between a mini-series and a normal show? The number of episodes? Or the way it ends?

Firefly was meant to be a full season, but was cancelled half-way through and is still longer than a full season of shows in the UK!

Malificant:

well, a miniseries as i define it is usually a shorter number of episodes, like 6-15. the series also usually ends after one season, or an intended short run of just a couple seasons, intentionally so. firefly is different as sci-fi pulled it after some dispute. for example, band of brothers is i beleive 6 or 8 one hour episodes. idk, i guess im really just interested in finding out about song of fire and ice.

Khan!:

Actually iirc Firefly was cancelled by Fox, to make way for some new crappy reality show and/or offensive sit-com. Man I hate Fox. I haven’t heard anything about a George RR Martin mini series, that could be interesting but I fear that it could be a really ham-fisted Sci-Fi channel-type affair. If HBO did it, and it turned out like Rome, it could be awesome - but I’m concerned about having my enjoyment of the books tarnished by bad writing/acting/casting/cgi. Also, so much happens in those books that I dunno how a tv adaptation would be feasible.

Malificant:

if anyone can scratch the surface and do a near decent job, it’s HBO.

WarplockMonkey:

If anybody heres from britain, anybody watch torchwood when it was on?

Kera foehunter:

dead wood like what was on hbo??

Malificant:

that’s the one.

cornixt:

I’ve been through the actual town of Deadwood. Not much to do there beyond gambling.

Kera foehunter:

Sweet me too .Then we went to the devil tower.Deadwood was to much hollywood for me.