[Archive] miniature sizing difference

Taurian:

I got my first FW chaos dwarves in the mail yesterday. I opened the package and it hit me like a brick that I had forgotten how much bigger the miniatures had gotten in scale. My chaos dwarves are 3rd ed, and these dwarves dwarf my dwarves! Does anyone else have a problem with the size difference between the older and newer minis?

Why is it that these manufacturers decide to keep making minis bigger? When I first started collecting, 25mm was the norm. Then there were 28mm scale minis, then 30mm, and now I see some 32mm being introduced. I know you guys tend to stay exclusive to GW, where things are fairly constant, but the GW chaos dwarf minis are just one of my armies, and I like to collect dwarf minis from many manufacturers, so this is a bigger problem for me and my hordes.

aka_mythos:

The scale creep has everything to do with detail. Regardless of scale, the average professional sculptor can only fit so much detail per millimeter so the easiest way to make more detailed miniatures is to simply make them a little bigger.

As long as miniatures aren’t suppose to be in the same unit, immediately side-by-side it doesn’t bother me.

dncswlf:

I also have an issue - sort of- as I use various manufacturers… confrontation minis… ghost minis… but the way I look at it is that humans are all different sized… some bigger some smaller… as long as you don’t bunch them together in your units it looks ok… and if you have them in separate units then just say your captains group all the big burly guys together and allow the puny rabble to stay together… or something…

on that note… does anyone have any of the chronopia chaos dwarfs… especially the tusk helmet guy… I have been eyeing him for a while and was wondering how he looks with other manufacturers…

I know Zanko posted a good side by side scale shot a while back… but I don’t think he had any of those…

dncswlf:

I found Zanko’s great shot:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5174

aka_mythos:

Mixing miniatures of different manufacturers with slightly different sizes or scales are alright as long some degree of consistency of detail is maintained. Its more an issue with 40k, than fantasy, but its mostly an issue when dealing with where there are more details that should be rigidly uniform… like say a grenade. Under close scrutiny most units can only have so much discontinuity, before it just looks too mixed and matched. Some units are characterized by that mixed and matched aesthetic but usually have some strong detail acting as an anchor point to unify the unit.

Taurian:

I do agree largely that some leeway should be made for diversity–and with these being chaos dwarves, I can see it even more so. But my problem is when it goes outside of a certain range. When one dwarf looks twice the size and bulk of another dwarf, I can’t rationalize it that easily. I got this great steal on eBay involving Reaper minis, but when I got the dwarf minis, I looked at him wryly and noted that he fit more closely with a human mini than my dwarf minis due to his size. At least with the IGs, I guess I can say that they’re separate from the bulk of the rest of my guys based on their background, but that would also make these war engines out of my range for my main army unless I replace the crew. IDK at this point, I need to mull it over.

Taurian:

I found Zanko's great shot:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5174

dncswlf
Thanks a lot for posting this. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I was looking for to help my purchasing decisions.

Thommy H:

I use miniatures from dozens of different manufacturers, from many different time periods. It has never once negatively affected the aesthetic of my armies. Everyone should relax about scale!

Taurian:

I use miniatures from dozens of different manufacturers, from many different time periods. It has never once negatively affected the aesthetic of my armies. Everyone should relax about scale!

Thommy H
Some things are hard to ignore. I'm going to have to put them all in a lineup and see how it takes.

I do find it interesting how you say this, when as your avatar you have one of the biggest minis there is in my pile of chaos dwarves. If I'd known he was as huge as he is, I probably never would have bought him. I still haven't even taken him out of his blister.

Thommy H:

Yeah, he’s pretty tall - but he’s also clearly intended to be your general. I use him as Zhatan the Black: the most savage and powerful fighter in modern Chaos Dwarf society. I think he probably should be quite tall…

Like I say, I use quite a few miniatures by other manufacturers who work in very slightly different scales sometimes. Check my showcases in my sig and you’ll see what I mean, how I’ve justified any obvious differences, and how they look just fine next to their larger or smaller friends.

Taurian:

Yeah, he's pretty tall - but he's also clearly intended to be your general.

Thommy H
I was considering doing just that--making him my own 'Azog'. I just haven't had the initiative to go through with it. That is just too kickass of a design to just ignore him, though.

Kera foehunter:

I no longer care to much of the diffrent  sizes in the figures
If you look around  people are not the same size
I look more for  How to make my army diffrent from everyone else
Size don’t matter !!! *Sexy wink wink *

Zonk:

I no longer care to much of the diffrent  sizes in the figures
If you look around  people are not the same size

Kera foehunter
Chaos dwarfs dominated over the big territories, and if miniatures of the different sizes it is possible to make different clans chaos of dwarfs, of different areas of the world. ))

Pyro Stick:

In my opinion the size difference doesnt really matter as long as you use a paint scheme that unifies them all so that its obvious they are the same army. You can see the various different makes of chaos dwarf models ive used in my army here and i think they work pretty well, using the much bigger models like the avatars of war cd as a unit champion or something:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=825&pid=161779#pid161779

ChungEssence:

Thankfully the 4th edition big hats have such big hats that they can stand up to just about any scale!!. Even if they are dwarfed… their hat makes up the height!