[Archive] Minotaurs in CD society

Skitter-Smash:

So after some thought about CD’s the main creature they associate with there god is the bull. Unless im missing something huge. So why is it that Minotaurs are not a part of the CD society? They embody the rage and strength that Hasut would of wanted. Is it just that Minotaurs are located mainly in the lands of the empire and thus CD’s havent had much contact with them? Or is it that they know about them but just ignore them? I would find this explanation to be unusual. I would think that they would almost revear them…

Any thoughts on this?

Thommy H:

This has come up a few times before. I think the thing to remember is that Minotaurs are really just big, savage Beastmen. The bull aspect is just narrative convention - it’s not really a big part of their identity, either in rules or background. I guess, if you want a rationalisation, Minotaurs are just mutants. Just because they’re born of bovine stock doesn’t mean they’re sacred. In fact, both Great Tauruses and Bull Centaurs derive their bovine traits from Hashut himself but started as Dwarfs. Minotaurs are sort of the opposite. If anything, they might actually be considered abominations!

zhatan87:

One interesting thing to notice is that minotaurs are allowed in CD Blood Bowl teams… But as said by Thommy, I found nothing else to link minotaurs and CD…:expressionless:

Skitter-Smash:

Ok that makes sense. Although even if they were considered abominations would they be considered something akin to a favored sacrifice to Hasut becuase of there size, bull like traits, and other features… or do the CD just kind of ignore them unless they can find some application that they could use them for…like most other races (slaves, ogres like tasks, etc…)

Besides that then in a game sense how could i fit them into a CD army? Would they be better as a unit filler in a slave unit, CD warrior unit, or could they be sutablie repalcements for ogres? (From Tommy H. list)

Just some more thoughts…

Nicodemus:

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that there could be superstitious individuals in CD society who would steer clear of enslaving minotaurs in the off-chance that their mutation was a gift from Hashut. I’m not saying that’s what happens with minotaurs, but if you need some fluff narrative to explain away why you have some Minotaurs around that could be a way to do it. Hobgoblins for sure might be extra cautious around minotaurs :wink:

Hashut’s Blessing:

My reasoning is that they are creatures purely of Chaos. They are drawn to Chaos shrines (often in the form of herdstones) and protect them in the name of the Dark Gods. They’re not native in CD lands and, to my knowledge, none are ever created within a CD society. In a land where the Great Taurus rules supreme, the Lammasu (a combination of Chaos Dwarf sorcerer and Great Taurus) roams free and Bull Centaurs are rampant, you’d expect Minotaurs to appear if they were anything to do with Hashut.

I happen to have used an old minotaur model to make a statue on a warshrine, but it’s a statue of Hashut, not a minotaur.

Simplest thing: Chaos-made, Chaos-worshipping, ex-bulls are a perversion of foodstock, not the sacred/rewarded followers of Hashut (that’d be BCs, maybe GTs and possibly Lammies).

richard barby:

its just waiting on a rewrite by gw

but how i see it there are a chaos monster/ mutation and i guess there are plenty of bull type troops in the army already mentioned

Ancient History:

Minotaurs are a little different from regular Beastmen troops in that they have a special purpose to defend Chaos shrines and monoliths, but aside from that they don’t have anything in common with Chaos Dwarfs except the bull theme - it would be like trying to create a relationship between Rat Ogres and Dragon Ogres.

Not that you couldn’t work minotaurs into the Chaos Dwarf backstory pretty easily. Some versions of the minotaur in real-world literature has it as a man-headed bull rather than a bull-headed man, something closer to a lamassu. The minotaur and the lamassu could be seen by some as opposite ends of the spectrum of ultimate Chaos Dwarf mutations, with the Red Bull of Hashut somewhere in the middle.

And it would not be impossible for some fringe beliefs in Chaos Dwarf religion related to minotaurs. Slavers who are out in the wastes for months, away from the Sorcerer-Priests of Hashut, may be aware of Chaos Monoliths (some of which may guard the bones and weapons of old Chaos Dwarf heroes, some of which may be twisted parodies of Dwarf waystones, raised by Chaos Dwarfs masons, smiths, and engineers) guarded by minotaurs that they consider sacred, and leave offerings or try to bribe them into helping in their battles. Alone in the Dark Lands, such sacrifices may be all that sustain a lone Bloodbull or Tzanbull.

Abecedar:

Nice idea there, sounds emminently plausible. Wasn’t there some fluff somewhere that said Lammasus were re-incarnated sorcerers. CD Minotaurs could be a whole different breed as opposed to beastmen ones and be the re-incarnations of warriors.

Thommy H:

I’m pretty sure Lammasus are just what happens when a Great Taurus - which is (probably) mutated from Chaos Dwarf ancestors - is born with the same mutation that produces Sorcerers. This is even more explicit now they can cast spells.

Sanguinarian:

Minotaurs are one of those races that have so far been down to the chaos dwarf player to decide on fluff for. I could easily see minotaurs finding their way into a chaos dwarf army as both well armed shock troops and downtrodden beasts of burden depending on the inclination of the sorcerer in question.

As has already been mentioned it’s a great tool for fluff. Perhaps some minotaurs do indeed to the worship of Hashut? There’s plenty of room for bull-headed K’dai in a chaos dwarf army methinks :wink:

Alric:

So after some thought about CD's the main creature they associate with there god is the bull.  Unless im missing something huge.  So why is it that Minotaurs are not a part of the CD society?  They embody the rage and strength that Hasut would of wanted.  Is it just that Minotaurs are located mainly in the lands of the empire and thus CD's havent had much contact with them?  Or is it that they know about them but just ignore them? I would find this explanation to be unusual.  I would think that they would almost revear them...

Any thoughts on this?

Skitter-Smash
Theres plenty of support for minotaurs in the blood bowl about chaos dwarfs, as well as in the chaos dwarf wiki blood bowl team.

"Chaos Dwarfs worship the great bull god - Hashut.".....

"The greatest blessing Hashut can bestow on his followers is the form of the bull as Dwarven bodies are twisted and ripped open to form the fearsome Bull Centaurs or to become a terrifying Minotaur, both of which are frequently seen on the Chaos Dwarf teams."

Also remember traditional mythology that the minotaur is part man and part bull.
"In Greek mythology, the Minotaur (Greek: �o�'ν�Z�"α�.ρο�,, Mīn�"tauros) was a creature that was part man and part bull."

Minotaurs in Hashuts service wouldnt be just mutations but more of a gift from the god Hashut to his loyal followers.

I was thinking of how minotaurs would work really well with the RH army list and their appearence with a chaos dwarf army on the table would be cool... bull centaurs on he left , minotaurs on the right , bull taurus in the center.
:hashut

Xander:

I’ve always considered having a unit of Minotaurs for my CD army using Ogre rules. Additionally, you could do what EE did with Ogres and feature them as unit fillers in your units.

1 Like

ryanamandaanna:

Might be a cheap alternative for K’daai Fireborn to add flames to them and go with that…

Xander:

Might be a cheap alternative for K'daai Fireborn to add flames to them and go with that...

ryanamandaanna
True enough! Is there any artwork for the K'daai that we have seen? What are they supposed to look like?

ryanamandaanna:

Just what I’ve heard from others on here-- I haven’t seen anything myself yet, but apparently the destroyer is supposed to look like a large mechanical bull filled with a fire daemon; I can’t remember who said that, but I’ve read it a few times… anyone?

lostmember:

"The greatest blessing Hashut can bestow on his followers is the form of the bull as Dwarven bodies are twisted and ripped open to form the fearsome Bull Centaurs or to become a terrifying Minotaur, both of which are frequently seen on the Chaos Dwarf teams."

Alric
If that's 'canonical' then I'm a bit gutted. I use them in my slave horde as "Pit Beasts" - who are kept to fight in arenas to entertain the Dawi Zharr, and are sometimes taken into battle.

JMR:

Might be a cheap alternative for K'daai Fireborn to add flames to them and go with that...

ryanamandaanna
This is pretty much what I am doing for my K'daai / Obsidian Golems / whathaveyou.

Thommy H:

If that's 'canonical' then I'm a bit gutted.  I use them in my slave horde as "Pit Beasts" - who are kept to fight in arenas to entertain the Dawi Zharr, and are sometimes taken into battle.

lostmember
It's not - Bloodbowl is set in a slightly sillier version of the Warhammer universe.

lostmember:

It's not - Bloodbowl is set in a slightly sillier version of the Warhammer universe.

Thommy H
Cheers, Thommy.....glad to know I can keep them around :cheers