[Archive] Mixing GW, FW and Mantic?

Cronos:

I’ve recently come into possession of a few old GW chaos dwarves (9 plastic halberd guys, 10 metal blunderbuss guys, a metal character with mechanic legs and a single metal bull centaur (possibly a character?), and I bought the Tamurkhan book right as it was going out of stock at the FW site. This, and the fact that I already have a Hellcannon (though no handlers) has me thinking of starting a Chaos Dwarf army :idea

I’ve looked at the alternatives available - finding more GW models at a reasonable price seems unlikely at best, while Forge World are expensive but oh so pretty so I may certainly end up getting some of those (the Iron Daemon and the Fireglaives speak to me particularly). To fill out some gaps I’ve thought of mixing in some Mantic Abyssal Dwarfs, particularly since I can get a good deal on those because I backed their recent Kings of War 2nd edition Kickstarter. I’ve also looked at the Mantic Goblins, the Spitters look like they’d make excellent Hobgoblins with bows.

However my question to the esteemed members of this forum is what your experience/opinion is of mixing these models. Obviously the GW and FW models are already very dissimilar in appearance (age will do that), and the Mantic ones are certainly not very close in design to either (closer to the old GW sculpts if anything) from what I can see. But given a unified paint job, do you think it could work? Have any of you mixed in this way (I find it hard to believe nobody has, but maybe you’re all purists and I will be tarred and feathered for even suggesting this :o)?

Keep in mind that while I am certainly no stranger to converting, green stuff and I don’t really get along at this point in time as far as creating new detail on a model goes. Maybe some day, but for now I am content with buying actual models where applicable and using green stuff to fill gaps :wink:

I tried searching but did not find any topics on the subject (at least not referring to Mantic), which I found odd - so unless my search fu is just weak today, mixing CD from different sources may be a relevant subject to discuss :slight_smile: To be clear, I’m absolutely certain I’m not the first to think of this - I’m just curious what input this community has on the subject. What say you?

Bloodbeard:

Sure they can be mixed - all your want. My army is build of all kinds of bits and bobs, always looks weird and messy before I get the stuff painted.

Besides using the same colour scheme, I find that the trick to making an army of different models look good is - bases. Making some nice looking, coherent basing, putting extra detail on the bigger ones (I base warmachines) will tie all kinds of miniatures together.

Herby had some different model types in his old army and it looked awesome Herby’s old blog

I love mantic, they make good stuff. And besides their dwarves and evil dwarves I think the stuff they have made is rather good - especially considering the price. The worst (like really bad) models made by Mantic however is their goblins. really bad sculpts, casting, mould lines, hard to see details when painting. Cheap as dirt - I would go for GW night goblins from battle for skull pass instead.

The Abyssal Dwarfs is not that bad, so I go for it. Get a cheap start to bolster your forces. With some very simple conversions you can GW them up a bit: give them some marauder shields, do some weapon swaps. It’ll make a huge difference and takes no skill.

Also be adviced about the existence of Russian Alternative, Titan Wargames and Titan-Forge. Making good evil dwarf miniatures. Check the [[Alternate Chaos Dwarf Models]] wiki page - a lot of the companies there are still in existence.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Cronos:

Sure they can be mixed - all your want. My army is build of all kinds of bits and bobs, always looks weird and messy before I get the stuff painted.

Besides using the same colour scheme, I find that the trick to making an army of different models look good is - bases. Making some nice looking, coherent basing, putting extra detail on the bigger ones (I base warmachines) will tie all kinds of miniatures together.

Herby had some different model types in his old army and it looked awesome Herby's old blog

I love mantic, they make good stuff. And besides their dwarves and evil dwarves I think the stuff they have made is rather good - especially considering the price. The worst (like really bad) models made by Mantic however is their goblins. really bad sculpts, casting, mould lines, hard to see details when painting. Cheap as dirt - I would go for GW night goblins from battle for skull pass instead.

The Abyssal Dwarfs is not that bad, so I go for it. Get a cheap start to bolster your forces. With some very simple conversions you can GW them up a bit: give them some marauder shields, do some weapon swaps. It'll make a huge difference and takes no skill.

Also be adviced about the existence of Russian Alternative, Titan Wargames and Titan-Forge. Making good evil dwarf miniatures. Check the [[Alternate Chaos Dwarf Models]] wiki page - a lot of the companies there are still in existence.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Bloodbeard
Thanks for your input, have a couple of slaves! I have had a look at that page yeah, there seems to be no shortage of options for models out there :)

I have the Battle for Skull Pass box already, so yeah, I suppose I could use them - but I'd prefer something a little different since I can't look at them and not think "Night Goblins" :) Thank you for the warning on the sculpts for the Mantic goblins though, I may try a smaller set of them and see how I like them. I also have a Warriors of Chaos army so I do have some Marauder shields and such lying around - good suggestion.

I do have the luxury of starting from scratch so I can absolutely make sure that my paint scheme and basing will be a unifying factor. I like the idea of a train of war machines, that makes for a striking visual that I can definitely enjoy modeling up - even though in game terms it wouldn't necessarily be great.

Mrowa:

Hey. Recently I get my solution for hobgobins. Try to “hunt” out old goblins from 4-5 ed (clone wars). They are little bit higher and their heads are little bit better IMO :wink:

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

I’m a total cheapo. If i had the cash i would have gone for all FW models and old school big hats as the leaders but unfortunately my budget didn’t allow this so i started with a Mantic Dwarf army boxed set (The Abyssal Dwarfs look much better but you get half the models for the same price). I had an existing WoC army and a huge bits box so i built over 10k of LoA with around $300 outlay… I’m more of a player than an artisan and sure my forces look crappy compared to the glorious armies found within this forum but hey i’m more of a quantity over quality kind of guy :wink:

nitroglysarine:

I’m a fan of the Mantic range. But I am a tightwad that likes converting :slight_smile: