[Archive] MLPs Legion of Azgorh [2500/4000]

MLP:

Legion of Azgorh

I’m starting up a 4000pt army and will be posting my developments in this blog. I’ll be using mostly forgeworld models with anything not available to be converted.

Colour Code

Not owned | Owned | Painted | Painted but to be replaced

Army List

Lords and Heroes

1 Sorcerer-Prophet, Level 4 Lore of Hashut, Mask of the Furnace, Enchanted Shield, Dispel Scroll, Luckstone Blood of Hashut

1 Daemonsmith Sorcerer, Level 2 Lore of Fire, Naptha Bombs, Chalice of Blood and Darkness

1 Infernal Castellan, Battle Standard Bearer, Black Hammer of Hashut, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Shield

1 Infernal Castellan, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation

1 Bull Centaur Taur’ruk, Blackshard armour, Great Weapon, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Cown of Command

1 Hobgoblin Khan, Giant Wolf, Light Armour, Tormentor sword

1 Hobgoblin Khan, Additional Hand Weapon, Terrifying Mask of Eeee!

Core

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard

29 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Blunderbuss, Full Command

39 Hobgoblin Cutthroats, Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command

Special

3 Bull Centaur Renders, Great Weapons, Full Command, Gleaming Pennant

6 K’daai Fireborn, Manburner

1 Magma Cannon, Hellbound

1 Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher, Hellbound

Rare

5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders, Spears, Standard & Musician

5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders, Bows, Musician

1 Hellcannon

1 K’daai Destroyer

Current total 2500/3999.5

Images

Sorcerer-Prophet Sculpt/Conversion based on artwork from Tamurkhan

For comparison here’s the inspiration

Infernal Ironsworn with Castellans and Sorcerer-Prophet

Infernal Ironsworn Champion conversion

Infernal Guard with Fireglaives

Infernal Castellan with Fireglaive

Demonsmith Sorcerer

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker

Hobgoblin Cuthroats using standard goblins

Bull Centaur Renders

Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders conversion using chaos hounds and goblins

The Legion so far

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

theforgefather:

I like your work a lot. Your first green stuffed CD is much better than my first attempt. loving the arrows through the sheild! the only thing that I would change is the the fire looks too yellow, but that could be the flash from the camera. try mixing more reds and oranges into it. (it looks just like the guy otherwise!).

Keep up the good work

Edit: You’ve changed the layout now so this sounds irrelevant.

Murdock129:

The Castellan looks like Freddy Krueger, good job ;D

vulcanologist:

I agree the flames could be more reds (and black!) but otherwise an excellent start!

theforgefather:

I agree the flames could be more reds (and black!) but otherwise an excellent start!

vulcanologist
but it might be a WIP pic.

cornixt:

Looks good. I like seeing conversions done from artworks, this one works pretty well.

BeeZharr:

Really nice conversion, I like it.

Xander:

Very cool! Nicely done. :slight_smile:

MLP:

Thanks for all the feedback it’s much apprecited!

@Murdock129 Just what I was aiming for!

A few revisions on the sorcerer, just a few washes and a bit more detail to make it stand out a little more and a look a bit more like the original. I don’t want the fire any darker than this though or the whole model will look too drab I think.

Abecedar:

Hey There, great stuff and I like the sorcerer. The skull face, is stark and I like it but it is too stark once you look at it a second time.   The flames  I really like but as a neophyte painting them I checked out this site  http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_prac.htm .   In comparison your darker areas are inwards and the hotter areas are out as compared to his (and admittedly anal) logical approach.   If you like your effect (and YOU are the final judge) … then keep doing it.   Conforming to others expectations can mess with your head.  “Standing on Giants Shoulders” previous efforts helps marvelously and they are great for inspiration, but maybe you can inspire them.

MLP:

Just finished off the iron sworn command group a Khan and the front rank of my hobgoblins.

For the ironsworn I’ve painted their ensorceled weapons purple to single them out from normal infernal guard. The paint scheme’s fairly simple I may try for some fire effects on the red parts of the armour when I feel brave!

I’ve just used normal goblins for the Hobgoblin Cutthroats as I reckon with the fluffy hats and some extra weapons stuck on they look pretty good! Also they’re bigger than Gnoblars and night gobbos so sort of work! Not decided on a banner yet though so will ad that at a later date.

Again I’ve just used a standard goblin chief for the Khan as they do have some similarities with hobgoblins!

Castellan:

That Castellan conversion sure is nice! GReat work on the battered skin too. :slight_smile:

-Castellan

MLP:

Here’s a slightly better shot of my WiP Ironsworn. I’ve added some fire effects to the armour as it was looking a bit too plain for the Legion’s elite unit.

Here’s a shot of my growing army as it stands today. I’ll be taking a little trip to Warhammer world tomorrow to bolster the ranks some more :wink:

brother_cov:

I love the look of your army so far.

The converted sorceror / prophet with the flames is well cool (may have to borrow that idea, thanks) and your Ironsworn look awesome.

My only slight criticism would be, and this is obviously my own preference, is the lack of synergy bewteen the “old” big hat centaurs and the “new look” ironsworn and prophet.

Im not a fan of the big hat look and would feel that BCs which more closely resemble the IG or Ironsworn would work better for me.

other than that, awesome work and keep up with the blog :slight_smile:

MLP:

Finally got some photos of what I’ve been working on. Only problem is the light in the room I have is making the quality a bit poor. I’ve updated the first post with the photos as I find it more squared away. I’ve changed the weapons on the Ironsworn as I didn’t think the purple suited them, magma weapons much more fitting!

Cheers for your previous comments, praise and critisism is always welcome.

Next on my table is 30 Hobgoblins(They are however just standard goblins using the Wolf rider style heads.) and 3 old style Bull centaurs. I like the Big hat ones and i’m not too bothered about them not matching the Infernals as fluff wise they’re from completely different castes.

MLP:

I’ve updated the first post with better photos as the last ones were pretty crap.

Also finished off 30 Hobgoblin Cuthroats and a champion for the Ironsworn. The command pack from forgeworld doesn’t have a champion so I just used a spare musician, sculpted some more beard and added a couple of weapons. I think he turned out alright!

vulcanologist:

The new photos look really good! What are your next plans for expansion?

theforgefather:

wow! good work!

i like your command conversions very much.

all of my original posts dont make very much sense now

that you have put up the updated pics…

MLP:

The new photos look really good! What are your next plans for expansion?

vulcanologist
Thanks! Figured out I occasionally get some natural light between 1pm - 3pm. I currently have a deathshrieker and 21 Infernals with Fireglaives but I have no undercoat spray until I get back to the UK next week where I can stock up. I've decided I'll wait for the new Bull Centaurs and sell my old metals ones so I won't be painting them now.
wow! good work!
i like your command conversions very much.
all of my original posts dont make very much sense now
that you have put up the updated pics...

theforgefather
Cheers! I didn't think the command pack suited the units so I had to do something. The Give you a Castellan with weapon options he can't take and no champion model! Very annoying! So I bought two packs (not cheap :sick ) and mixed them together to get what I wanted.

Dervish Helldance:

Before I say anything else: Brohoof!

Apart from that, I think most of this looks good - I can’t exactly say though I like the hobgoblins, but that is more because of the models and that’s not exactly your fault. The CD:s looks very nice.