[Archive] Modular movement trays

AGPO:

Has anyone bought one of these? How many decent sized trays can you make out of one pack? Are they worth looking at? Can you change the size of them or are you stuck with them once they’re assembled?

cornixt:

Not bought one, but the picture looks like you can make 4 trays for 5x5 20mm infantry.

I’ll stick with my thick cardboard - completely free, any size I want, very light, very easy to make, much more hard wearing than you’d think. Plus if GW decides to make units need 6 models per rank you can just chuck them out and make some new ones.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I bought a set today for no apparent reason really. yet to actually open it, but I’ll let ya know what ya can get out of it. P.S. I don’t think �6 will be worth it though, really.

Willmark:

I always make my own, very simple and very cheap to make.

Xander:

I should hit a GW shop to take a look at some close up…

Khaosbeardling:

Ok, so maybe I missing something, but maybe I just suck at it.��What’s the secret to making movement trays out of cardboard because all of mine look like complete cr*p.

BLOOD AXE:

You can make a bunch easily out of some plastic card. Its cheap & available at most hobby shops.

Ellimist:

KhaosBeardling:

There’re plentyof guides if you google them, here is one ofmy favourites that can be easily adapted for different situations.

Kera foehunter:

Im like blood axe i use plastic card

OFF TOPIC

Have anyone here made a custom base that look like terrain and has a metal in it. Then they put small magnet in the feet of there guys . Them rank them up on there movment trays and the magnets hold there guys to the tray .it looks cool.

torn:

you could use sheet metal as a base. we use a lot of magnetable sheet metal at work so if i needed any i could just take some of the scrap. its something thats worth trying, although i havent yet found a magnet that will fit under a base!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Many people have put links before showing penny magnets (I think that’s what they’re called), but they’re small enough to fit under bases. I still haven’t checked the modular movement tray as I’m busy trying to get some painting done whilst I’m in the infrequent mood to do some painting. I think it’s probably going to be better/as good as (and definitely cheaper. �6 is a rip off. More so than usual!) to just make some yourselves.

Willmark:

Check out my army blog. I make mine out of crescent board (a type of heavier, thicker poster board- used for matte frames). My next ones will be from chip board, sturdier again, the sides and front will still be from cardboard and masking tape. Once done I gluule the sand, paint, dry brush it abd then add static grass.

Malificant:

i make mine out of balsa wood, sheet metal from heating/cooling ducts, and cork. i use the balse as the base, throw the cork around the unit to match my bases, then put a peice of sheet metal where the unit stands. i then attach rare earth magnets from K&J magnets to the bases. they are very strong, and look great.

AGPO:

Mine never seem to work when I make them - the card I use seems to be too flimsy

Im like blood axe i use plastic card

OFF TOPIC

Have anyone here made a custom base that look like terrain and has a metal in it. Then they put small magnet in the feet of there guys . Them rank them up on there movment trays and the magnets hold there guys to the tray .it looks cool.

Kera foehunter
I know a guy who’s done magnetic bases for his daemons so he can use them in WFB and 40K.

Malificant:

i did that for a word bearers/daemonic legion once. just had magnets on the round bases bottoms and the square bases tops and they ranked up fine.

Kera foehunter:

well here is a sample of what im talking a bout if you look you can see a magnet on the guy to the right

cornixt:

I know a guy who's done magnetic bases for his daemons so he can use them in WFB and 40K.

AGPO
Seems like a waste of effort, why not just make a movement tray with round holes for the 40K bases? Hell, you don't even have to do that, you could just place them on a normal movement tray.

wallacer:

What's the secret to making movement trays out of cardboard

Khaosbeardling
The secret is not to use cardboard. Get some 2 or 3 mm plasticard, cut it to the size you want then put some bits of balsa around the edge as a rim to stop the figures sliding off.

Khaosbeardling:

Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I understand my main error now. Using cardboard. Can’t wait to make some new trays now. Cheers all! :cheers

Willmark:

Don’t be hasty (so says Treebeard) cardboard actually had uses as the front and sides the bottom base however should not be cardboard as noted.