[Archive] My first CD (RH) list, and then some more

Bassman:

You never have enough of bolt throwers. I found the optimal number (without being cheese) is 4. Perfect IMO. You’ll be furious during 3-4 turns when they do not hit anything but one turn of the game they hit dragons/treemen/lonely characters/uber units of dooms all togheter (yes four!) bringing havoc among enemy lines.

It’s well worth the 120 points you pay for them.

Bolg:

Thats what I noticed, they only have to hit once to get their points back, anything else is a bonus. I’ll stick with 3 for now, but if I’ll ever drop the Earthshaker for a second unit of centaurs i’ll take 4+

KramDratta:

Hi,

How do you deploy them? Against armies with flyers (small ex harpies) I try to deploy them away from each other but if there are any large targets I try to go for the nearest hill, etc.

As mentioned I find 4 is the magic number. Anything more will be taking up slots from the Black Orcs/Death Rocket.

Bassman:

It’s not only to take their points back (and they always do…) but for the intimidating effect on monsters and big daemons.

It’s not nice for a large target to hang around when there are 4 bts on the field. Even if they are crewed by hobgoblins they grant the +1 for large target.

Every experienced Chaos Dwarf player knows they never hit when they could have +1 to hit, but they always hit targets with -1 to hit :slight_smile: but you enemy does not know :wink:

This means tactical advantage you can exploit with your troop forcing the dragon/monster/large target to hide or to rush into combat even if he does not want to.

During a recent battle with lumberjack elves :slight_smile: my opponent feared my two bolt throwers so much that his treeman was always under cover. During the last 3 turns he decided to rush him toward my lines and my bolt throwers failed for three turns to hit!!! Even when he was at short range! Last turn, when I realized I’d never get points from the treeman, I decided to shoot one unit of archers, long range and that damned hobgoblins managed to hit making 5 wounds getting half points!

Bolg:

@ KramDratta

depends, I dont like putting them together. but I will put 2 BT’s together if its the only way, never but my Death Rocket near my earthsaker.

if there is a large target I happily put them behind my units, you only need half an inc clearance to shoot through and large targets are “large” so they can shoot over the units.

@ Bassman

I used to play dwarfs, and I used to field a S7 BS5 BT costs about 100 points and it always missed. I love the hobgoblin BT’s people are just as scared and the are cheap, cheap cheap!

KramDratta:

@ Bolg

I will try splitting them up across my deployment. I like the idea of shooting from behind the units. I am currently having a problem facing a Dark Elf/black dragon & 2 hyrdas and this way I can protect the bolt throwers with my blocks.

Tnx 4 the tip

Bolg:

Good luck KramDratta, agains DE putting them behind the units is great, 2 large targets, so always something to shoot at (:

and remember flank shots on cafelery units are devastating (:

Bolg:

How happy are you with you Black orc's ?  - you could change them to normal orc's with a strong hero.

qwe50
Ha I followed you advise, just played this list:

Characters:
Tainted Dwarf Rune Sorcerer (190) 2 dispel scrolls (50) Black Gem of Gnar(35)
Level 3 sorcerer.
(275)
General: Tanithed Dwarf Thane (60) Armour of Furnace(45) great weapon (4)
4+ save/5+ ward save.
(109)
Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) BSB (25) Armour of Gazrakh (30)
(155) (in unit Biguns)
Hobgoblin hero (40), handweapon, wolf(12), heavy armour (4) enchanted shield(10) sword of might (20)
(86) -625-

Core:
15 Tainted Dwarf Bulnderbusses, heavy Armour, Blunderbuss (15x12)
(180)

19 Tainted Dwarfs(9), heavy armour, shield, handweapon, full command (30) WarBanner (25)
(226)

19 Tainted Dwarfs, heavy armour, shield, handweapon, full command (30)
(201)

10 Hobgoblin archers(2) handweapon, Bow(3)
Animosity.
(50)

10 Hobgoblin(2) wolfboys(9) handweapon, musician (10)
Animosity.
(120) -777-

Special:

18 Orc big uns(9), light armour, aditional choppa (18x2), full command (30)
(228)

2 Hobgoblin Boltthrowers (30) 2x 2 crew, handweapons.
(60) -332-

Bolttrower/Earthshaker/Deathrocket
Rare:
8 Tainted Dwarf Centaurs(8x20), heavy armour, handweapon, shield(8x1), great weapon, champion, Musician (30)
(198)

EarthShaker
Warmachine, 3 crew �?" Heavy armour.
(110) -266-

Not a perfect list, should have brought more Boltthrowers and less centaurs (6) But battle wise this played so much better than all the previous list. thanx to the BSB I passed a lot of breaktests and kept my lines in check.
Boltthrower+ general in unit ate his lord on dragon. 2 BT shots ate the dragon mage, dragon became hatred + frenzy I lured the dragon to my sorcerer + back gem, moved the wolfboys behind and killed it. If his dragon princes hadn't freed themselves of my BSB and hadn't charged my general in the rear in the last turn I would have won, now it was a draw. very fun battle, will tweak this list but it played a lot better.

Sorcerer + warriors are also great for keeping the flank (I used to put them in the center) really getting to know the list and its potencial now.

Tomorrow I have to play one last tournament with the previous list (without the BSB) as I had already send it in, I hope I wont miss m BSB to much.

qwe50:

GL I hope u won’t miss u BSB to much :slight_smile:

Bolg:

GL I hope u won't miss u BSB to much :-)

qwe50
Oh I most defiantly did (:

First game was against a Lizzy army 2 stegadons with magic skink ontop. one skink/krox unit (and his lord an BSB on coldone in it).

I hit his stegadons 6 times and I only managed to kill one skink. (hit his shaman on top also but failed to wound it!!!) It was a special senario, you had to contol areas on the table, I used my hobgoblins for that and the all fled the table making this the worsdt posible lose I ever played (I gave away 3125 VP's)

2nd game was against a friendly Darkelf guy. the game consisted of a sort of challenge of us both for who had the worst kind of luck. (his hydra failed a panic test and couldnt stop until it left the table my eartshaker scattered way of for two turns until it blew up.) in the end it was a draw.

So By the 3dr game I met an opponent who or has as much bad luck as i did or was just a lousy player. It was a warriors of chaos army, 2 units of chaos knight mark of nurgle 5 units of 10 marauders 2x 5 horseman 2x 5 hounds 4 Spawns and to top everything of 4 sorcerers of Theench who all had +1/+2 on their casting rolls all riding discs. thats 12 power and 7 dispel dice and he even brought a scroll (not the most fun army to face). He had 5 years of warhammer experience and never heard of the concept of a themed army. (and he told me he never got past turn 3! during the tournament)

Luckily both deployment zones had a hill, so after I feinted my deployment to the left side with the wolfboys and centaurs I did something Ive never done in all my yerars of warhammer, I played the castle defense. all but one warmachines on one hill and all the fighty units in front and just stay back and let him come over. My wolfboys excelled in keeping the left flank at bay (one unit of nights, horsemen and hounds) and the earthshaker and hobhero kept the other fast units at bay, the earthshaker and deathroket killed all the nights in 4 shots and the hob hero finished of the hounds and horsemen. he was so afraid of my battle line so he kept his 4 sorcerers behind a hill for 2 turns making them not so usefull at all, when the finally showed up I sniped 2 of them, my centaurs and black orcs ate almost all the spawn and marauders. my sorcerer only tried to cast 2 spells, for the rest I thought it better to just skip the magic face so at least I wouldnt miscast.

In the end he only got VP's for half my blunderbusses. it almost was a massacre. I really enjoyed kicking hiss but big time (that'll teach him to field a stupid list like that)

Overall I ended 60th of 112 players (almost perfect painting score helped a bit). not a bad result as it was my first tournament with CD's looking forward to tweak the list for the next tournament.

qwe50:

hmm looks like you need a bsb with banner of slavery LOL

I think you need 2 bolts more if that is the kind of lists you are up against - 2 x steg with engine of the gods is mean and that chaos army is just stupid.

Bolg:

Ok, next weekend there is a tournament, has some restrictions and is intended as a ‘friendly’ tournament (so I wont be facing 4 chaos sorcerers)

the only rule that effects me is “max 4 warmachines” Oh and there is a general rule that all BSB’s get access to all weapon options just like the newer lists (jay!)

here it is (its a upgrades version of the previous list)

Characters:

Tainted Dwarf Rune Sorcerer (190) 2 dispel scrolls (50) Black Gem of Gnar(35)

Level 3 sorcerer.

(275)

General: Tainted Dwarf Thane (60) Armour of Furnace(45) great weapon (4) shield (2)

4+ save/5+ ward save.

(111)

Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) BSB (25) Armour of Gazrakh (30) Greatweapon (4)

(159)

Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) Greatweapon (4) heavy armour (4) Enhanted shield (10)

(118) -663-

Core:

17 Tainted Dwarf Blunderbusses, heavy Armour, Blunderbuss (17x12)

(204)

19 Tainted Dwarfs(9), heavy armour, shield, handweapon, full command (30) WarBanner (25)

(226)

19 Tainted Dwarfs, heavy armour, shield, handweapon, full command (30)

(201)

10 Hobgoblin(2) wolfboys(9) handweapon, shield(1) light armour(1) champion+ musician (20)

Animosity.

(150)

Animosity.

(50)   -831-

Special:

18 Black Orc�?Ts (13) heavy armour, additional handweapon/greatweapon full command (38)

Atmed to da teath, quell animosety.

(272)

(60)

Death Rocket, 2 crew heavy armour.

(80) -412-

Rare:

9 Tainted Dwarf Centaurs(9x20), heavy armour(9x1), handweapon, shield great weapon full command(45).

(234)

EarthShaker

(110) -344-

Total: 2250

The BSB goes in the unit Black orcs, the sorcerer + unit warriors will take the flank.

Bolg:

Just did a trial run with this list, I think the army works well. will post the outcome of the tournament next week (:

qwe50:

Best of luck m8

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Bolg:

I just realized my opponent posted a battle report of our battle (WoC Nurgle).

link:

http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68771

Bolg:

So I played a small friendly tournament with the above list last weekend. there were some restrictions (max 4 warmachines, max 9 power dice/ 8 DD, If you used a dragon you couldnt take magic items). So of the 20-22 players there were actually 3 Orc players and the one Chaos Dwarf player (me).

first game was against a Orc and Gobbo Player 2 black orc characters in chariots, gobbo shaman in chariot orc and a Orc lord along 6! trolls. 6 Big un savage orc boar boys 2 blocks of night gobbos whit fanatics, squig hoppers and a herd 2 bolttrowers and a Giant.

in the first turn he failed a lot of animosity test and his bad luck continued with all the inpackt hist that came up 3 at best (even his giant rolled a one for Swing with club. My centaurs died trying to do some damage on the troll unit, the sorcerer + unit finished of the boarboys and gobbo chariot and the giant was shot to bits by the BT’s in turn 4 we were both looking to see what were his best options. it ended as a solid victory, I could have won more VP’s but that would have made the battle less fun.

2nd game was against a Dark elf player.

my earth shaker kept hist death star unit unit of combat for most of the battle. my centaurs got slaughtered again. he put his hydra right in front of my Back gen carrying sorcerer but he also charged his assassin in the same unit so the trick only worked half, ten my black orcs with BSB charged his flank and still finished off his hydra both units over ran his assassin. my generals unit got wiped so min the end it was a draw.

3rd and final game was against a 13 year old dark elf player, he diddnt get the memo of this being a friendly tournament. he had 3 cold one chariots a hydra and the biggest and meanest Deathstar unit, stubborn, always strike first with general and BSB wielding some scary ass weapons. I charged him with both my black orcs with BSB and dwarfs with general, he then killed both my bsb and general before I could do a thing, some black orcs got to fight back and reduced the unit to only 2 balck guards, just enough to keep the stubborness. my centaurs killed his coldone nights, got shot at by the crew of a chariot, he killed 3 and the fled away so the couldnt help my center, so I ost the warriors an Black orcs. I killed 2 of his chariots with my death rocket (playing loads of games makes you good at guessing range) I then tried to kill his last chariot with my earth shaker, this was a bit of a gamble as he was getting close, it scattered right in my blunderbusses (rolling the max 10) killing 5 and then the couldnt shoot the warriors in front of them.

I had some luck as I shot my last boltthrower at his unit of 2 balckguards + lord + bsb, and less than 5 models meant I randomized and hit and killed his BSB.

I lost with a Solid.

In the final ranking I got 7th place, not a bad place in all. But I only got 16 out of 20 possible painting points so it could have been better.

bas_2312:

Sounds like a fun tournament, wish I didn’t have to work… :frowning:

Why did you get only 16 painting points?

Bolg:

@Bas I spoke to the organisation, I only got 15 points for painting (max 20) we had a long talk about that and I told them I never had that few points in my warhammer carreer. I actually came 6th (not 7th) so I stick with this list for now.

Resonantly I played another game with this list (and these tournament rules) against a High Elf player.

Lord on Dragon, Mage on Dragon 10 Dragon princes, 5 dragon princes, 10 silverhelms 2x 10 archers 6 horse archers, 10 swordmasters and a great eagle.

He deployed all his dragons on the flank and got first turn, his entire army moved forward and he then killed my earthshaker crew with his 10 archers! and forced a panic test on my wolfboys who almost ran of the table. I my first turn I adjusted for inpackt, luckily my wolfboys rallied (love those musicians). I moved the sorcerer+ unit to face the dragon lord in the front.I tried casting a spell to tak out his dispel dice and then rolled a double one losin a wound and a level, then did 2 wounds on his eagle He made a mistake in his movement witch gave me a flank shot at his silverhelms with one of my bolttrowers,I hit and killed 4. the hobgoblin archers and remaining BT shot at the mage on dragon taking one wound of each.

In the second turn his lord on dragon charged my sorcerer (with the black gem) and unit his dragonmage charged the Boltthrower and his 10 strong dragon princes charged my general + unit. I then failed the first terror test with LD 10 and my sorcerer + unit ran of the table. his dragon princes didnt do to much and my general killed the champion in a challenge along with the battle banner I won the combat and he ran way to far away right behind his silver helms, his horse archers had shot at my hobgoblins but only killed 2, not enough for a panic test. I then tried to charge his eagle with my black orcs but it fled way to far away, my wolfboys had to take a terror test and easily passed it on a 6 and then decided to charge the 5x dragon princes in the flank. and my centaur charged the silverhelms he had to hold or they would be able to redirect on his fleeing dragon princes. The hobgoblins shot at the horse archers but only killed one and my death rocket once again bounced of its target. my Centaurs the killed all but 3 of the silverhelms, the broke and out ran the centaurs who pucued, the dragon princes behind then weren’t so lucky and got slaughtered.

In the 3dr turn he moved his 2 dragons behind my black orcs and moved his swordmasters in the front preparing to crush it from both sides. his horce archers charged the hobgoblins 2 fell from the stand and shoot and the fled the opposite direction. my wolfboys and his dragonprinces were still locked in combat, I kept winning by 1 (flank + outnumber against his banner) but he held his ground. his remaining 3 silverhelms rallied. in an attept to avoid being sandwiched I moved my general out of his unit and turned the black orcs to face the 2 dragons the general tried to protect their rear if he only could survive the first round of greatswords. and my centaur hero charged out of his unit to engage the silverhelms and his unit turned around to get back to the fighting i the middle of the table.

In turn 4 he declared a charge on my black orcs with both his dragons and his greatswords charged my general, I then failed my second ld 10 terror test and my black orcs fled right true the greatswords and got minced. so now my general was in combat with 2 dragons and a unit of greatswords, he challenged and got to wound the elven lord before he got cursed to death by terror and outnumber. the dragon princes with the wolfboys kept failing to kill even one and the wolf boys hit back hard, he then failed one of his 2+ armour saves but still didnt break from combat.

I then charged the centaurs in his dragon lord (luckily I passed that terror) they took the dragon down to only one wound and won the combat, the lord broke and fled into my unit of warriors (thus got destroyed) my centaurs slammed in the dragonmage but he fled from a failed panic test as the lord on dragon got destroyed and also ran into the warriors. the 3 remaining silverhelms then killed my centaur hero with their puny S3 attacks and the wolfboys/dragon princes stayed locked in combat.

In turn 5 he charged his silverhelms in the flank of my centaurs, I decided the best thing to do was flee so the only combat was between the wolfboys and the dragon princes, he managed to do one wound but the save of 4+ was good enough, many attacks back from the wolfboys, and many saves were made, and he passed them all. but he then rolled a 9 for his breaktest and finally fled away, my wolfboys overran. His eagle killed the last bboltthrower.

my turn 5, first thing I had to do was rally my centaurs with a roll of 10 or less, but they failed and ran of the table… I moved my last remaining warriors to face his sword masters and moved the wolfboys so that they could flank charge if the warriors held. In turn 6 he did charge my warriors, the held and the wolfboys flanked them, I won the combat and re ran away.

in the end I had a minor victory, but damn what a great game was that!

Bolg:

A new updated list:

Characters:

General: Tanithed Dwarf Thane (60) Armour of Furnace(45) great weapon (4) shield (2)

4+ save/5+ ward save.

(111)

Tainted Rune Sorcerer (65) level 2 (35) 2 Dispel Scrolls (50)

(150)

Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) BSB (25) Armour of Gazrakh (30) Greatweapon (4)

(159)

Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) Greatweapon (4) heavy armour (4) Enchanted shield

(118) -538-

Core:

10 Tainted Dwarfs(9), heavy armour, shield, handweapon great weapon.

(110)

(180)

18 Tainted Dwarfs(9), heavy armour, shield, handweapon, full command (30) WarBanner (25)

(217)

10 Hobgoblin(2) wolfboys(9) handweapon, shield(1) light armour(1) champion+ musician (20)

Animosity.

(150)

Animosity.

(50) -707-

Special:

20 Orc big uns(9), light armour, aditional choppa (18x2), full command (30)

(250)

18 Black Orc�?Ts (13) heavy armour, additional handweapon/greatweapon shield(18) full command (38)

(290)

(60)

(60) -660-

Rare:

9 Tainted Dwarf Centaurs(9x20), heavy armour(9x1), handweapon, shield great weapon full command(45).

(234)

EarthShaker

(110) -344-

Total: -2249-

I think i’l try shadow magic for this sorcerer. wonder how the biguns will do (:

Bolg:

New list I’ve been using for a few battles now:

Characters:

General: Tainted Dwarf Thane (60) Armour of Furnace(45) great weapon (4) shield (2)
4+ save/5+ ward save. (111)

Tainted Dwarf Rune Sorcerer (190)1 dispel scrolls (25) Black Gem of Gnar(35)
Level 3 sorcerer.
(250)

Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) BSB (25) Armour of Gazrakh (30) Sword of might (20)
(175)

Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) Greatweapon (4) heavy armour (4) Enchanted shield
(118)

Core:
19 Tainted Dwarfs(9), heavy armour, shield, handweapon, full command (30)
(201)

(180)

(226)

10 Hobgoblin(2) wolfboys(9) handweapon, shield(1) light armour(1)  musician (10)
Animosity.
(140)

Animosity.
(50)  

-788-

Special:

18 Orc big uns(9), light armour, aditional choppa (18x2), full command (30)
(228)

16 Black Orc�?Ts (13) heavy armour, additional handweapon/greatweapon shield(16) full command (38)
(262)

(60)

-556-

Rare:
6 Tainted Dwarf Centaurs(6x20), heavy armour(6x1), handweapon, shield great weapon, musician+ champion(30)
(141)

EarthShaker
(110)

-266-

I love the 2 units orcs, the BSB goes in the Blackorc and the other centaur goes in the biguns. and those units really can do some damage. I would like a death rocket whit this but I ran out of points.

This army is quite big and the LD10 + BSB combi makes it good to hold the line (and then flank charge).