[Archive] MY GH XI Sorceress

Tarrakk Blackhand:

This is my Chaos Dwarf Sorceress for the Lore of Death.

I hand built the 40mm x 40 mm base from 2 sheets of Evergreen Sheet Styrene and 1 thin sheet of Plastruct Riverbed Rocks.

The model started out as a Queen Helga figure. I sawed off her viking helmet and used an inverted Ogre Kingdoms club for her new hat. Her wand came from a Chaos Space Marine part which someone traded me for at a Games Workshop. I also filed down the metal ped that was for her shield and sat right infront of her arm.

Her Throne of Bones was constructed entirely from Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms parts and two pieces of Evergreen Sheet Styrene.

The book stand was a Tomb King Banner and two arms crossed at the base to hold it in place. The books are metal GW pieces. I hand painted the text on. The Spell is The Burning Hand and has a picture of a hand on the page.

On her base, Chaos Helga has a pet plague rat sitting between her and the book that’s on the ground. Behind this is a skull, a sack and under the chair is a bloody dagger.

She has a small Goblin in the little cage to her right. This entire section came from the Dwarf Miner’s set. I removed some of the Good Dwarf Iconology, but kept that spirit of torture about it. I also made the stand more “rusty” in apperance to show the difference between the Good Dwarfs and the Chaos Dwarfs. I believe that the Chaos Dwarfs wouldn’t be so “Tidy” with their equipment like the Good Dwarfs would be.

The “Illuminated” flames and lantern effect were achieved using a base coat of Testor’s Chrome Paint and then various Tamyia Clear colour paints applied on top. (Transperant Red, Orange and Yellow)

This model was entered in Golden Hat IX on Feb 28th, 2010.

Thorne:

Wow I didnt have that one down as being yours tarack blackhand, Nice work what did you use as the hat ?

Loki:

Cool a female dwarf Sorceress :slight_smile: like the use of the ogre club as a big hat, gives a great look :slight_smile:

Pyro Stick:

Never would have guessed that this was your entry. The only thing that put me of was that it looks like there is way too much going on. I couldnt really make out the sorceror at all because the base was so packed with stuff. Now that i can see it better (bigger pics than were used for the GH i think) it looks really good. The throne is probably my favourite bit.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

ThanX guys! I think the de-compression of the pics, plus the slight loss of Depth of Field on my camera made me loose votes.

I’m not sure what a “Happy Medium” for building vs pictures would be. I really killed myself making this model. I used the Max size 40mmx40mm base, tried to put in as much “interest” as I could, and even constructed something totally unique, being the throne of Bones.  I even painted the skulls with their correct “Crack lines” that run across the tops and sides as well as stipple painted the dirt filled calcium pock holes. Even the book has writing on it. Yet, there was no real good way for me to photograph all that detail.

My inspiration for this kit was the pictures of Aurora’s “the witch” kit from 1968 that had a cauldron, bats, table and cleaver for cutting the bats, and so on.

Borador:

Hehe upon 'til now I seem to be the only one thinking this was yours? (well for as far as I know ;D)

nice work mate ^^ keep it up!

snowblizz:

Never would have guessed that this was your entry. The only thing that put me of was that it looks like there is way too much going on. I couldnt really make out the sorceror at all because the base was so packed with stuff. Now that i can see it better (bigger pics than were used for the GH i think) it looks really good. The throne is probably my favourite bit.

Pyro Stick
Ditto. I was kinda digging this but then I was so overwhelmed by details that it all flew together and the parts that "block" view doesn't help.
I would say that pics cost some votes probably. I would suggest less is more though sometimes.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well, I’m glad you guys did like it.

Like I said before though, it’s hard to know what the right answer is.

Mario:

You can easily adjust the pics a bit with levels, contrast and hue balance, saturation, giving them more definition and a bit more punch.
I took the liberty to edit 2 of your pics to show you what i mean:

I really like the whole idea of the details and things you added. Maybe showing them of in one big shot and then the details you are most proud of would be nice :slight_smile: Sort of, look this is the whole thing, then look here and here and even HERE! :smiley:

And out of focus can also add a nice touch, if you keep the thing you want to show in focus and get the fore or background blurred it adds even more focus to the part you try to “sell”

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Looks good! just wish I could go back in time and re-do it.

Maybe showing them of in one big shot and then the details you are most proud of would be nice Sort of, look this is the whole thing, then look here and here and even HERE!
Even with my super-dooper $450 camera, I couldn’t get close enough in on things. I should have photographed everything seporatly before glueing it all together.