[Archive] My only gripe with the legion of azgorh list

Willmark:

So far I’ve really been looking it over more then anything else and the only real gripe I have? No Black Orcs! Booo!

Now I can understand the reasons for separating them out, doesn’t mean I like.

I look at the Chaos Dwarfs using the Black Orcs as mercs, kinda like “keep your friends close, your enemies closer”.

khedyarl:

I actually really miss the dogs of war Ogre rule. I had plans for a converted Ogre “Blunderbus” unit with big hats, but those were dashed when they FAQ’d the Ogres for 8th ed.

Having Black Orcs would certainly be nice - relatively cheap, crazy-good infantry is hard to pass up.

Veshnakar:

I agree. I really do miss all of our green skins. I think that mostly has to do with this being the legion of azgorh from the black fortress and they don’t utilize slaves perhaps as much as the Dwarfs from Zharr Naggrund.

Barukh:

The fluff even says that it is just a military outpost composed of exiled dwarfs and hobgoblin slave fighters who fend off constant Orc raids. I think because they are running on just elitists and cannon fodder, every casualty counts and they don’t get much in terms of slaves other than what they already have.

Ender SpiteSworn:

I’m thinking of using Unit fillers consisting of a black orc standing on something with a whip. My hobgobs are all the 4th ed ones, and more are hard to track down. I know its not a realy BO unit. But it does add visual appeal.

Animatone:

Me and my friends still play with Black Orc’s allowed just as they were in the old rules.

It’s just a cool addition to the army!

After all the CD’s did create them…

beefcake:

It would be nice to have them in the list. They’re more mobile than CD’s with that 1 extra movement point and harder hitting than Hobgobs. The only additions I would like to see in the LoA are Black orcs and the slaves, perhaps even a slave cart like the unofficial mordheim CD list.

Time of Madness:

I don’t mind the loss of the greenskins.

Black orcs are so close to chaos dwarf warriors in profile. Same WS4 S4 T4 I2 A1 they don’t add much other then aesthetics/history.

Time of Madness

Lava Lord:

This is a good discusstion and I enjoyed the ideas. I go with the idea that all greenskins are an intracal part of the Chaos Dwarf fluff.

And the main point is, the LOA is only one legion of many as Veshnaker mentioned. So, let the other legions march…!! :cheers

Animatone:

Bring back the Black Orcs!

Say they’re slaves, but other then that keep them the same as in the O&G book, but -1 or 2pts… special rule Shackled: Can re-roll failed LD regarding break tests, but if they fail, they halve the distance rolled when determining how far they run due to their chains.

Bam! Black Orcs are back, make them a special choice and call it a day.

That would be sweet… IMO…

Any other thoughts?

flashgordon:

you dont need black orcs, just take a unit of great weapon ig and give them the +1 movement banner :stuck_out_tongue:

Animatone:

Black Orc’s although not entirely needed in the LoA list are just a cool aesthetic break in the army, something unique about the force as a whole that you don’t find anywhere else (Orc’s in a dwarf army). They’re not dwarfs, but they’re cool, tough, combat troops, obstanent slaves made from greenskins and dark magic by the CD’s. It’s just too interesting of a origin story in regards to the Black Orcs not the be in the LoA list I think.

They also could prove for a unique variant troop choice… with the whole Chopa rule. A foot troop that hits at S7 with great weapons or has 2 S5 attacks with additional hand weapons is just what the chaos dwarfs could use since K’Daai and BC only hit with 2 attacks. A unit of Black Orcs would certainly help in the hand to hand offensive department when you could effectively field 4 of them for the cost of 1 BC/KD.

All and all I like them a lot and it’s a shame that they’re not in the LoA list.

But I always field a unit of them in big games when I play with my friends… It’s just too cool to pass up.

CopperPot:

I’ve switched to using Tommys list at my gaming group so much better having everything available like slaves and greenskins.

Bitterman:

Black Orcs were indeed created by Chaos Dwarfs… then they rebelled and nearly brought down the entire CD empire, I doubt the CDs would have anything to do with them ever again.

I don’t miss having them in the list, at all. I don’t see them as a particularly strongly-linked part of the fluff, except as an historical curiosity.

rpitts2004:

Black Orcs were indeed created by Chaos Dwarfs... then they rebelled and nearly brought down the entire CD empire, I doubt the CDs would have anything to do with them ever again.

I don't miss having them in the list, at all. I don't see them as a particularly strongly-linked part of the fluff, except as an historical curiosity.

Bitterman
+1

Discoking:

Black Orcs were indeed created by Chaos Dwarfs... then they rebelled and nearly brought down the entire CD empire, I doubt the CDs would have anything to do with them ever again.

I don't miss having them in the list, at all. I don't see them as a particularly strongly-linked part of the fluff, except as an historical curiosity.

Bitterman
I kind of agree with this statement.
However. That shouldn't stop Normal orcs & goblins being available.

But also, it'd be like "an army within an army".
Which I guess FW were not trying to sell?

Willmark:

Black orcs please! Purely for fluff reasons in my eyes.

Perhaps the CD sorcerers have an “Order 66” but in reverse programmed into them. Some high priest discovers it and bam! Instant obedience to the Dawi cause.

Thommy H:

It’s always been part of the background that Chaos Dwarfs have continued to use Black Orcs in their armies, even after the rebellion. They just tend to recruit them as mercenaries instead of capturing them - they even actually left some roaming free in the Dark Lands after driving them from Zharr-Naggrund for exactly this purpose.

Orcs don’t tend to hold grudges; they’ll fight for anyone who’ll give them the opportunity to bash heads.

theforgefather:

There’s always a 2nd CD book from FW, like the renegades and heretics list, there are 3!

Animatone:

Regardless of how damaging the Black Orc revolt was, that only furthers the point of the sheer power of their creation. The CD’s know they unleashed something of true ferocity and strength when they made Black Orcs, so all the more reason for them to dominate them, subjugate them, and put them to their will. Or like Thommy said, use them as mercenaries to further their empire and conquest. I still think the CD’s wouldn’t give up their ace in the hole just because they got burned on the flop once… Albeit a big burn.

The Black Orcs are just too potent of a creation to be given up on!

And like Thommy said again, Orcs don’t hold grudges, but Dwarfs do… So all the more reason for the CD to really tighten the leash or “shackles” on the Black Orcs and put the screws to them, to make them suffer in languish for their insulence and upheaval untill the end of time.

It’s the CD way IMO.