[Archive] my scratchbuilt cd juggernaut

Poison:

since the cd juggernauts sell for crazy amounts of money and therefore I can not afford one, I decided to make my own. using the catalogue images as guidelines, I have combined plasticard with sprue pieces and items from my bitzbox to create the juggernaut. still missing a boar centaur to push it and the dwarves to man it. would love to hear your comments and suggestions.[attachment=5156]

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Skink:

What is there to say? It’s awesome!!! If I were you I would try to create a wooden texture by covering the plasticard with liquid green stuff and engraving it with a toothpick. Also, that Tomb King ornament??? It’s too recognizeable as a Tomb King bit, maybe you could swap it with any Chaos Warriors/Marines bit? Finally, you need to bulk those wheels up mate! Just glue something behind them, or consider the Chaos Chariot’s wheels… Oh, and you could glue Chaos Marauder or Marauder Horsemen shields to the tower’s walls :). Looking forward to see this beast complete :hat off

AtomTaylor:

Excellent work, can’t wait to see it painted up.

Poison:

What is there to say? It's awesome!!! If I were you I would try to create a wooden texture by covering the plasticard with liquid green stuff and engraving it with a toothpick. Also, that Tomb King ornament??? It's too recognizeable as a Tomb King bit, maybe you could swap it with any Chaos Warriors/Marines bit? Finally, you need to bulk those wheels up a bit mate! Just glue something behind them, or consider the Chaos Chariot's wheels... Oh, and you could glue Chaos Marauder or Marauder Horsemen shields to the tower's walls :). Looking forward to see this beast complete :hat off

Skink
the wooden texture is already on the plasticard (used a hobby knife to scratch the surface in a wood-like appearence) but is not visible in the pictures. Agree for the TK ornament. consider it gone. For wheels i do not have any alternatives available, will work onto it though. For shields on the walls, still looking into it.

thank you

Abecedar:

Very nice and great initiative, I still shudder at the thought of how much mine cost me.

Some suggestions. I think you should have something in the very lower level to add some weight to its body. Doesn’t have to be visible.

It will give you a solider foundation to anchor it to a base and if you do not put it on a base it will help it from not being so top heavy.

The real one is quite top heavy if un-anchored to a base and if you add levels you could have the same problem with it toppling over

Will Liam:

Ive used Balsa wood to make stuff in the past - if you use the back of the hobby knife to run lines down the balsa wood it gives a good easy wood plank affect and easy to glue the large rigid sections together with super glue - you’ve done the same thing using plasticard - it looks cool

BABIS:

great work for sure!

Poison:

Very nice and great initiative, I still shudder at the thought of how much mine cost me.
Some suggestions.  I think you should have something in the very lower level to add some weight to its body.  Doesn't have to be visible.\
It will give you a solider foundation to anchor it to a base and if you do not put it on a base it will help it from not being so top heavy.
The real one is quite top heavy if un-anchored to a base and if you add levels you could have the same problem with it toppling over

Abecedar
at the moment the whole construction is light in weight and does not tip over. but if you add metal miniatures on the levels this will change the balance for sure. I will add a weight to the underneath of the lowest platform (not the levels) as you suggest

Poison:

Ive used Balsa wood to make stuff in the past - if you use the back of the hobby knife to run lines down the balsa wood it gives a good easy wood plank affect and  easy to glue the large rigid sections together with super glue -  you've done the same thing using plasticard - it looks cool

Will Liam
great work for sure!

BABIS
thank you guys for the feedback!

as for the wheels i will cast copies of the chaos dwarf whirlwind wheels that I have and use those

Bloodbeard:

Very nice build! Good work!

Tertius:

Building ^ this ^ or something close to it, is the goal?

What WFB edition does it date from? It looks like siege equipment.

Sjoerdo:

There never were any rules for it, but it was released at the end of the second edition/start of the third edition of WFB, I believe (1985).

Together with the tenderizer, whirlwind and the Perry chaos dwarfs.

Fuggit Khan:

as for the wheels i will cast copies of the chaos dwarf whirlwind wheels that I have and use those

Poison
Good idea to make new wheels, it's a lovely scratch build that you have made, but is in need of some better wheels. You may want to build some axles for the wheels too, it'll will look better and give undercarriage strength to the model as well.
Have fun with it, I'm looking forward to seeing more :hat off

Zanko:

Pyro made 2009 rules for the old 3rd edition stuff.

I really like the rules, maybe you can convert them to the newer ones … :wink:

:hashut

cornixt:

Remember that the original was designed for casting, so it isn’t an optimal construction the way they have done it, so don’t be afraid to add bits to make it stronger.

You’ve done a great job, kinda inspires me to go back to work on some of my designs (although mine is a little bigger because the original seems oddly small)

Enjoysrandom:

Looks good poison but I would thicken up the walls a bit to match it closer to the original.

And a bull miniature at the right size can be hard to find so use a boar body maybe, the original were boar centaurs anyway. (they are just hairier)

Poison:

Looks good poison but I would thicken up the walls a bit to match it closer to the original.
And a bull miniature at the right size can be hard to find so use a boar body maybe, the original were boar centaurs anyway. (they are just hairier)

Enjoysrandom
I was thinking that the walls are too thin, too. But scalewise, the thickness of the plasticard is more correct than the thickness of the actual model. Imagine having plancks of wood thick as half a head (original model). That would make the whole construction impossible to move.

For the centaur, I will make a copy of the boar body (whirlwind pusher) and make a top from my torso collection.

Poison:

OK now some more images to see how things are going.

I have replaced the wheels and added a few more details. Also I have blu-tacked the whole thing so you can see how it looks like. Only thing I forgot is to add a cd into it… next time.

comments? any room for improvement?

[attachment=5161]

Abecedar:

Aye the walls are visibly too thin but I’m confident you can fix it if you wish to.

It is coming along handsomely

Willmark:

Looks good but you need to do a lot of sanding so everything looks smoother. Otherwise a good effort, keep it up!