[Archive] 'Naked' Hobgobbo conversion (now with painted pics)

Grimstonefire:

After many years I have finally decided exactly how I will make my hobgoblins.  For those who don’t know I’ve never been a big fan of hobgoblins in any shape or form, hence why I’ve never been tempted to make a full unit of them… until now.

I think it would be fair to say that those who model hobgoblins specifically as tortured slaves would be in the extreme minority of CD players.  I want to make them multi functional, so I will be making mine not as ‘hobgoblin warriors’, but as part of a generic chaingang unit of slaves (which I can also use as goblins)

My ones will be made by:

Converting or sculpting some torsos to fit the plastic Crypt Ghoul legs.  Attach arms pretty much unconverted (except the occasional hand swap for a weapon) and finally attach the original ghoul heads (converted)!

I never really considered it before, but if you look at the ghoul heads close up they are remarkably similar to a sneaky hobgoblin expression.  All it would take is a pointy nose, a slighly bigger chin and brow and some goblin/ orc type ears.  Well, I’ll be happy with that.

GW pics:

What do you think of these as heads?  Potential?

I’m guessing the reason nobody makes hobgoblins with the new ghouls is the stooped bodies, but a simple torso swap with a goblin/ skaven/ ungor (chopping off the legs, what I will be doing) and the body is instantly upright! The arms and legs are really thin, exactly what prevented me from going for any other alternative.  I couldn’t even cast my own sculpt that thin.

So this will be a very easy way for me to make a whole unit of depraved tortured creatures.

I’ve ordered some from ebay and will have a go later this week.  I will post here again with the WIP pics.

Depending on how well these go I may even try and do some mounted ones on chaos warhounds.  Just need to figure out if the scale will work…  A guy over on warseer has done something similar, so I can judge whether the scale will work

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/warriors%20of%20chaos/hounds4.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/warriors%20of%20chaos/hounds3.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/warriors%20of%20chaos/hounds2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/Corai/warriors%20of%20chaos/hounds1.jpg

I think with the bodies actually sitting properly the scale will be very tight.  Possibly a little too big, but considering there is no alternative unless I sculpt and cast my own (not something I want to do), I might have to just go with it.

So what do you think?  Will the ghouls idea work?  Would they look stupid mounted on chaos hounds(properly)?

Khan!:

I’m not convinced by the idea of mounting the ghouls on chaos hounds, but I definitely like the idea of using them as a basis for hobgoblin conversion.

Kera foehunter:

i like the ghouls on the war hounds!! i might steal that one!!

those sound like a cool idea grims

tjub:

Hmm, sounds interesting… Give us a concept model! :slight_smile:

so.sad:

mh, I don’t like the ghoul legs very much, due to their beast like feet. The indeed do look more like animals then human.

But still I guess this could work, if you switch the torso as you said.

have you considered using the grave guard legs instead of the ghoul ones?

CheTralfara:

I think it could work, tho they will be very tiny and skinny. One thing with ghouls is they are extremely small and emaciated. They are NOT the size of a fully fleshed human, as hobbos are supposed to be.

I was once going to make my Plaguebearers out of Ghoul bodies, until I saw how unbeleivably tiny their bodies were… now I use the heads for PBs and the bodies for “blue” (the tinnier) horrors.

The heads might work for hobbos I suppose, but I really think they need pointed goblin-esque ears to really work. The nose will have to be changed to definitely, like you said.

.nick

Grimstonefire:

As long as they’re taller than a goblin and smaller than an orc I’ll be happy. I haven’t been able to compare them physically standing the minis next to each other, and as my idea means the models will be at least 5mm taller than they currently are (to the top of their back), I might just be ok.

@so.sad.

I haven’t actually no.  I did consider the regular skeleton sprue, but it’s a bit too thin and would require a lot of work to bulk out.  Probably why it’s taken me all these years to find something I felt was close to perfect.

If I do plan on making more I will sculpt a torso and cast it to save me running out of ungor bodies.  I may need to do this anyway at the moment as I’ve only been able to find 5.  I will hopefully be able to cast some chains I’m sculpting to make them look more like slaves.

Hazkar:

im not sure about the legs…they look to long for hobbos

but might work,do you have a concept mini?

Grimstonefire:

I hopefully will by this time next week. :wink:

Swissdictator:

Grim: I honestly think these could look great.

Though part of my gut says the pose of the legs seem to fit sneak gits to me. However they are still Hobbos if I remember correctly so that is still a good thing. I think it will matter how you make the Torso look for those… though if you’re aiming for multifunctional this might help sell that even more.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I wonder if you couldn’t just use the feet.

Kera foehunter:

grim aether way i can’t wait to see them

clam:

I think the idea sounds so cool - and the will really give you a tormented looking creature. I do think that heads could be a challange - but with your skills- I’ll say go for it.

And for wolfs - you could mix the chaos hounds with regular wolfs bodies. Think ‘Hammerhand’ did that (with a metal Chaos Hound) with his Hobbo Big Boss.

mh, I don’t like the ghoul legs very much, due to their beast like feet. The indeed do look more like animals then human.

so.sad

Don’t quite get it! A Hobgoblin should look like … human?

so.sad:

mh, I don't like the ghoul legs very much, due to their beast like feet. They indeed do look more like animals then human.

so.sad

Don't quite get it! A Hobgoblin should look like ... human?

clam
nah, that wasn't what I meant to say. Those ghuls are walking on their toes, like many animals do.
From what I believe this is not a suitable way to move if you are carrying havy weights through a compact mine.

Aren't Greenskins having a physique similar to humans. Beside being green and more muscular?

clam:

nah, that wasn't what I meant to say. Those ghuls are walking on their toes, like many animals do.
From what I believe this is not a suitable way to move if you are carrying havy weights through a compact mine.

Aren't Greenskins having a physique similar to humans. Beside being green and more muscular?

so.sad
Oh! I get it now :cheers

And yes, GWs versions of the various greenskins offen tends to look a bit human,  I guess ;)

two_heads_talking:

I think it could work, tho they will be very tiny and skinny. One thing with ghouls is they are extremely small and emaciated. They are NOT the size of a fully fleshed human, as hobbos are supposed to be.

.nick

CheTralfara
Hobbos can be anysize the modeler likes, as long as the base size is consistany, someone could use snotlings stacked on each others shoulders to represent hobbos. In fact gnoblars are much smaller than humans and work perfectly for hobbos..

Grimstonefire:

They’re also smaller than gobbos though, which might make some sense as half goblins.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Half-Goblins? Oh NO! ANOTHER thing to sculpt! LOL!

theblackmage:

the main reason that ghouls are smaller though, is that thier hunched over. The legs on an empire staetrooper stand just as tall as those of a ghoul.

and as he said he was using them as slaves, dosen’t it stand to reason anyway that they’d be shrivveled and stunted:)

Kera foehunter:

so grims you have your idea yet ??