[Archive] Need advice from Canadians

Ellimist:

Well, I’m currently applying to go on exchange overseas, while in my 3rd year of university, from New Zealand. I’ve always wanted to visit Canada, and am currently looking at Victoria University as a possible place to do this.

As this is a Canadian based website, I was hoping to get some information from any Canadians on here about the area. Whether you think the university would be a good place to study, and a base from where to see some of the country (In particular for winter sports).

So, any advice would be appreciated.:hat off

metro_gnome:

McGill… Montreal rocks…

but bring a little more than a parka…

Ellimist:

Heh, yes I figured I’d need some good cold-weather gear. Luckily I have plenty of that.

I should have mentioned, the universities I can consider are:

Victoria

Dalhousie

Calgary

Not really liking the sound of Dalhousie so much though.

metro_gnome:

oh… then halifax surely…

shame that you dont like the school…

but the city is the thing…

Khan!:

the universities I can consider are:
Victoria
Dalhousie
Calgary

Not really liking the sound of Dalhousie so much though.

Ellimist
I attend the University of Calgary, the experience of which tends to vary on which faculty you plan to study in. Medicine, business and engineering schools here are very good, and get lots of money poured into them all the time. The liberal arts programs (ie social sciences, arts, humanities, languages) don't get as much attention - which is not to say that they're bad, I'm in the Religious Studies program and enjoying it - but the facilities aren't as fancy.

The campus is nice in summer, kinda ugly in winter, but that's Calgary for you, really. One thing I notice about the university in general is that it does not have a very strong sense of community, altho again I think that depends on the faculty. The city itself is largely pleasant. It is very vast however, so having a vehicle helps because altho the light rail system is good the bus system is terrible.

Re: sports! The UofC athletics facilities are excellent, really top-notch. We built all kinds of good stuff for the Olympics in the 80s and that has all been maintained and kept up to date very well. Calgary is also very close to the Rockies and a number of good skiing/snowboarding locations. There's lots of opportunities for skating-related sports too.

I've never lived in Victoria, but from what I understand it has a very mild climate and is a beautiful city. One nice thing about Calgary is that we get lots (lots!!) of sunshine, but Victoria tends to be more cloudy. I don't know too many specifics but everything I hear about Victoria and UVic is really positive - maybe not the best place for winter sports tho.

Canada's nice! Lots of good things about us! Cheers and good luck in your studies regardless! :hat off

cornixt:

What subject are you planning to study? My brother did a year exchange at Victoria in biochemistry so I could ask him if the uni is good for your subject, although I can’t promise that he will know.

LLV:

Firstly - Khan!, where in Calgary are you? I am also Calgary based, so if you ever fancy a game let me know!

Secondly - Yay, come to calgary. Im here from Britain and the city is growing so lots of opportunity here!

EE

Khan!:

@ Exquisite Evil: Horray for Calgary! Yeah man, keep that idea in mind - I’m writing like crazy right now so perhaps later in the spring. I’m never opposed too getting my dice on!

The Flying Beaver:

I’m going to say Dalhousie, mainly because I will be attending the University of Kings college next year, which is a part of Dalhousie. Maybe we can met up or something. :hat

Halifax is a really nice city, I recommend it.

oboudd:

its not that cold here in Canada.

The Flying Beaver:

Not that cold where Oboudd? You’ve gotta put a bit more into your posts, otherwise we don’t know what you’re talking about.