[Archive] Need help about Iron daemon width

Kamphre:

Hi,

I plan to do my own Iron Daemon and I found that it’s based on a 60*100 mm base.

I thought it was a really big miniature and I end up disappointed when I measure it’s base, smaller than expected.

Furthermore, on most pictures I found, it seems to fit easily on it’s base so it is even smaller!

So I was wondering if someone could take a picture of his Iron Daemon with something known like warriors or a rule, so that I could have a better idea of it’s real size?

I know that I could find group shot where it appears, but I would like a “real” comparison shot (even a bad phone photo is fine, I don’t want to judge the painting).

Thanks very much if you can do this, it will be very helpful.

Thommy H:

I’m not sure on it’s exact width but, for the record, it isn’t actually mounted on a base.

Kamphre:

yes, I saw the “base size” topic.

But the Iron daemon is not a war machine and need a base, for example to know how many enemies can attack it, no?

Thommy H:

It’s Unique, so can follow any rules it likes. The model doesn’t come with a base.

cornixt:

yes, I saw the "base size" topic.

Kamphre
Good, because that explains why your next statement is wrong.
But the Iron daemon is not a war machine and need a base, for example to know how many enemies can attack it, no?
People put them on bases because it is convenient (for storage and gaming purposes) and looks nice, there is no actual game requirement for it.

If a tournament requires it then they need to tell you what size to use.

Gnoblar_Herder:

Um…at the risk of starting a fight (which i dont want), there does seem to be a bit of a contradiction in the war machines base size thing. Not strictly, but generally.

I am a new CD player. I want to add in war machines into my army. I want to put them on bases because a) they look better b) they are easier to magnetize/ store that way and c) it allowes the oppertunity to “theme” the army better because what is put on the base helps to tie-in with the armies theme.

So, understanding that allot of the war machines dont have bases or they are not needed, what bases are the most “acceptable” for each of the available war machines that can be used in a CD army?

There must be a point when a base is just too big, and equally too small. Surely there must be a “guide” to what base something “could” be put on, if someone chose to do so?

G_H

Glimpse the Void:

As I read the entry, it says it is unique but counts as a chariot with the exceptions noted. Most chariots come on a pretty standard base, so thats what I’ve gone with for now as it makes it easier for folks.

RiTides:

War machines have specific game rules not requiring a base… but surely any tourney will want an iron daemon to be based.

Kamphre:

I didn’t want to start again the debate about the basing (see specific topic for it). I re-read the rules this morning, for unique units, for chariots, for miniatures sold without base and for the iron daemon.

I still can’t understand how do you know how many dwarf’s enemies can hit the Iron Daemon if there’s no base.

For war machines, it’s written in the rules, this problem doesn’t exist. But here?

RiTides:

Exactly… which is why tournies will want a base.

The hellcannon had the same issue- when it was metal (and I had 2), it didn’t come with a base, but needs one for game mechanics in 8th edition.

Interestingly enough, I chose 60x100mm for mine ;). But then GW puts it out with 100x150mm in Finecast!

My Iron Daemon is in the mail so I can take scale pics when it arrives. I will probably choose 60x100mm, since I think I could be accused of modeling for advantage if I choose 100x150mm.

KramDratta:

Iron Daemon’s base is 60x100mm (as per email reply from FW)

Will try to upload picture later …

rpitts2004:

Iron Daemon's base is 60x100mm (as per email reply from FW)

Will try to upload picture later ...

KramDratta
Same,

In the process of completing my paint job

Thommy H:

It has no base. Determine how many enemies are in contact with by seeing how many are actually in contact with it.

rpitts2004:

It has no base. Determine how many enemies are in contact with by seeing how many are actually in contact with it.

Thommy H
Mine has a base =)

Yodrin:

Thommy H
Mine has a base =)

rpitts2004
Mine will to:)

Thommy H:

Yeah, and those bases are very nice, decorative additions to your models, I’m sure.

Soulassassin:

@ Tommy H: When ever a question is asked about bases for the CD war machines on this forum, you reply short and not very infomative: " it does not have a base".

While we all can agree that the war machines in 8th does not require a base, many people use them and some tournaments even say they are mandatory. There are many practical reasons for this, and even more when it comes to unique units like the Iron Deamon.

I hope we can keep these discussions free from blunt sarcasm.

Thommy H:

I’m not saying you can’t give war machines or the Iron Daemon bases; I’m saying that since you’re not required to by the rules, the only concern is aesthetics. So the answer is always, “whatever you think looks best”. There’s really no need for there to be any discussion about what the “right” base is.

Soulassassin:

Because the CD range span so many editions and rules sets, there will always be questions about bases sizes. And while war machines can be taken out of the discussion rules vise, I hope we can have a climate of open dialogue without replies like this:

Yeah, and those bases are very nice, decorative additions to your models, I’m sure.

Thommy H

Vogon:

The biggest problem with the Iron Daemon is that it is a unique model.  It has been FAQed to make use of some of the Warmachine Rules (no stand and shoot) but not others (no Daemonsmith re-roll).  I can�?Tt think of any other unique unit that does not come with a base, all the units that don�?Tt have a base I can think of are warmachines, so this puts us in an unusual situation.

Tommy�?Ts response of

Thommy H
Is technically correct however, using  an appropriately sized base (60 x 100mm) means that this number will be the same regardless and helps save confusion in a game setting.

The basic mechanics of the game use bases for an awful lot of rules and most gamers (especially people who are not used to seeing a rare army like Chaos Dwarf) will use any base we put it on as gospel so using �?owhatever you think looks best�?� could be considered advantageous if it is significantly oversized compared to the model.

In my opinion Forge World missed a trick here and the Iron Daemon should have been sold with a base and avoided a lot of needless confusion and debate.

Cheers

Vogon