[Archive] Need help with eBay Feedback Extortion (Aussie buyer issue)

Thommy H:

Did he actually contact your wife, or were you just saying that’s something you can imagine him doing? Because the second it leaves the internet, call the cops.

Necrotique:

He has tried calling us outside of eBay quite a few times, and messages us from multiple accounts asking us to let him buy again and telling us we ripped him off. This is ridiculous as I’ve explained through Messages why I charged the price I did, and that it was under actual cost.

If he makes one more call I’m calling the police, and I’ll send him a message letting him know that.

Nicodemus:

Dude, quit messaging him. Once again:

Never wrestle with a pig. You both end up filthy, but the pig actually likes it!

Engaging this guy only feeds his desire to continue. Ignoring messages and hanging up right away will make him lose his mind, and is probably a better way to mess him up. By ignoring him you can move on with your day and stop wasting time thinking about this foolishness (unless you really do enjoy it on some level, and that’s not a facetious remark), meanwhile he’ll be choking on his own rage at the other end.

Honestly, even before phoning the police (which you may not get very far with), at some point you have to draw the line yourself and make the decision that you’re not going to allow this person to insert themselves and their dysfunction into your personal life. They aren’t adding anything positive to your life, cut them out and move on. That sounds like lame relationship talk, but really, you’re allowing yourself and your significant other to remain entangled with this nut case. I’m sure you know the phone number he’s calling from by now (or you can dial to retrieve it). For a small fee your phone company can block that number. Don’t bother trying to pass on the cost of blocking the number to this guy, just pay it for a few months and chalk it up as the cost of getting him off your back. If he wants to try calling from another number, just hang up. He sounds like a loser, so who care. Boo hoo, you get a negative feedback in your e-bay profile. Let him do it and you can still respond to his feedback in your profile and others can see what you wrote. It’s not the end of the world. It’s just ebay, with just as many various and sundry losers as anywhere else.

~N

Necrotique:

I haven’t messaged him back for nearly a week. He’s just noticed the “confidential” report.

I guess I didn’t phrase it well but I was asking if I should call the police or just leave it as I’m not happy with someone calling my wife up to harass her about this. A lot of it is beginning to feel like identity theft, with him looking up my details, place of work, etc.

Thommy H:

Nico is right that you should just move on - if necessary, delete your eBay account and start from scratch with a new e-mail address. Just take the hit, because your personal safety and private life is much, much more important.

But personally? Phoning up your wife is harassment. If some guy from the internet pulls something like that with me, they should expect a visit from the cops.

Galladorn:

I’m sorry, this whole thread truly angers me. In real life, this buyer/complainer wouldn’t say a thing, but give a coward a keyboard, and he’ll do everything in his power to be a thorn in your side. Necro, I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Necrotique:

@Thommy - I’ve submitted an email to the relevant police department where he lives with the attached call logs, emails, messages, etc. I don’t want to have to cancel my account as I have very good feedback and some items still for sale which won’t end very soon.

I am putting our safety first though and have blocked the number.

@Galladorn - I know, it’s disgusting. Even if a shop-keep DOES sell you something dodgy/overcharged (which I didn’t) you wouldn’t dog them like this, or call them outside their workplace.

It’s just horrible and the guy’s obviously unhinged. I told him he was wrong, showed him how he was wrong, and apologised for any misconceptions. As far as I’m concerned, our business is over. He got $400-600 worth of models (if you buy them from GW) for $80, some OOP. He should be happy with what he has.

Sorry if it frustrates people to read this; I just needed to get this out there and to have advice on whether to contact police or not.

Taurian:

That’s pretty petty. If I’m concerned about shipping, then I’ll ask beforehand. Even in one of the worst cases, where the seller stated that “he would only combine shipping on auctions won within one week of each other”, and he charged me for separate shipping but still waited to send both the items together, I still didn’t complain. That was mainly because I didn’t want to get negative feedback in return. Over ten years, 1100 feedback and not a single negative or neutral. I don’t want to ruin it, and that can get to be a hindrance.

khedyarl:

: /

If I could, I’d leave you positive ebay feedback for our exchanges on here, Nec. You were one of the most pleasant people I’ve ever dealt with in a trade. Mike loves the Mammoth, btw. heh.

Coopervisor:

I stopped selling on eBay a while back, had way too many bad experiences with idiot buyers. Even though I could use the cash getting rid of some of my unwanted stuff would provide!

My last straw was selling a mobile phone on behalf of a friend, which meant I ended up out of pocket. The problem I found is that eBay is geared towards the buyer now, leaving the seller to jump through hoops to avoid upsetting somebody who seems to enjoy confrontation!

Hope it all gets sorted for you!