[Archive] need help with identification

Cryonicleech:

so I was browsing the interwebs and I noticed something quite unusual. It was a Warhammer Fantasy boxed set entitled “Warhammer Chaos Warband”. Included was a Chaos Warrior, Four Skaven and Four Beastmen. A quick search revealed more. Apparrently there is also a “Warhammer Lizardmen Swamp Monsters” kit including four saurus and four skinks. Another “Warhammer Orc Mob” included two goblin spearmen, two goblin archers, and Orc Archer, a Goblin Fanatic and a Black Orc.

What edition are the boxed kits from and also what purpose did they serve (i.e. battlions, starter kits etc.)

Arashi:

Those kits were just full with old miniatures (3rd, 4th ed.), that were sold this way because they were (and are) old miniatures. I actually liked those kits.

If I recall correctly, there was a space marine box, a tyranid box, one with different mages and one with plastic heroes (Barbarian, dark elf witch, dwarf lord…) as well.

snowblizz:

Yup. There was also an Elf box with 2 HE spearmen, 2 archers and 4 wood elf archers.

And a dungoen box, with snotlings, bats, a minotaur etc.

Some of these contained miniatures for/from Heroquest (heroes/wizards/dungeon box) and others were old 4th ed plastics from the old plastic box sets (elfs, orcs etc).

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Ah are they the small boxes? If so i got a SM ome and could of gotton more if I knew more about it (I was six at the time) but I really liked those they had an easy to make couple of mini but now in the new boxes you get four for £10 :o

Cryonicleech:

Thanks for the replies but,

Snowblizz, do you know which ones are 4th ed. plastics and which ones just contained Heroquest models? I’m interested in buying the Chaos Warband

snowblizz:

If you had links or pics I could say a bit firmer perhaps, so take it for what it is…

For the Chaos Warband: the beastmen are most likely the old monopose plastics, same for the clanrats, and I suspect the warrior as well.

These were the “regular” figs from the monopose plastic era, 4/5 th. About when I started.

It is mainly the “character” and the minotaur/creatures sets that are from the “roleplaying game”, which ever it was. The details are about the same really, IMHO there’s little difference.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Are those the ones where you could buy a box of Brettonian archers or swarms (like a bat swarm, jungle swarm, snotling swarm in one box) and stuff? I liked those…

two_heads_talking:

those boxes were great, when warhammer quest was around. currently there just isn’t a need for them, so they were pulled probably 4 years or so ago.

snowblizz:

those boxes were great, when warhammer quest was around. currently there just isn't a need for them, so they were pulled probably 4 years or so ago.

two_heads_talking
I actually understood them as a way to sell off old stock they couldn't otherwise shift. They were made available long after Warhammer Quest had been gone.
Ironically I know lots of people desperate to get hold of some of those. Especially the swarms.

two_heads_talking:

I wish I had better foresight, I could have had a full ‘case size’ box of them. Oh well, hindsight and all that stuff is so much clearer later on… lol

cornixt:

I think those multi race sets were a US thing, since I never saw them in the UK at all.

snowblizz:

I think those multi race sets were a US thing, since I never saw them in the UK at all.

cornixt
Not a US thing as they were available in Europe. Maybe not in the UK though. Probably too much old plastics floating around in the saturated UK market to make it work.