[Archive] need painting tip

RichardC1967:

I want to paint a CD rune on my unit banner and don’t want it to look new and shiney on a faded banner, how do I paint the rune to make  it to look old and faded…

thanks

Groznit Goregut:

Washes work well. Also, you can dry brush on top of it and that will help make it look faded.

G.2:

I would try. 1. A few washes of the colour/color of the banner, in your case dark red. 2. You could also place (carefully) some scratches, along the edge of the rune, a bit like the technique of painting ‘chipped armour/armor’.3. You could mix some of the banner colour/color into your time colour, which will tint the rune colour/color which should dull it down enough to make it look faded. This last technique is the way I paint stubble on faces.

Thorne:

Quite simple really 75% of the base colours with 15% black and 10% white paint the rune adding more of the base colour after you have painted the rune add some white after if you want to go the total mega highlight style but by the looks of things I wouldn’t go too extreme.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I find painting the entire banner to look new and then very light washes of watered down greys and browns. You’ll get the look you want in about 10 washes.

Grimbold Blackhammer

RichardC1967:

I find painting the entire banner to look new and then very light washes of watered down greys and browns.  You'll get the look you want in about 10 washes.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
I just painted the icon on and did a brown ink wash..then a touch up drybrush over the banner

G.2:

Great work on that banner. Thanks for sharing.

ryanamandaanna:

very nice

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

RichardC1967:

Great work on that banner. Thanks for sharing.

G.2
it still looks unfinished for some reason

G.2:

Maybe if you touch up the details on the banner. Like the hanging (dangly bits) ornanments. You try a little bit of “hard edging” or drybrushing on more of the edges of the banner.

ryanamandaanna:

yeah, I’d say the colors on the banner and the staff that is holding it up are a little too similar; offsetting them a bit would help. The banner itself looks great, so I would just modify the staff/ornaments like G.2 suggested. :cheers

RichardC1967:

will do…thanks

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.