[Archive] Need some urgent advice

Necrotique:

G’day,

Well, recently I purchased a very expensive commission (about $500) and received it today. Sadly, the box was very damaged and the model inside was broken to pieces, and wrapped only in a thin layer of bubble-wrap. I immediately opened a claim with paypal after the seller was less-than-friendly.

I would mainly like my money back as I’m not happy paying premium price for a broken item (such as my forgeworld problems) and if the seller has shipping insurance, then good for them. However, it was packaged thoughtlessly and differed rather greatly than the photos in question.

I won’t go into much detail on here as it is getting quite nasty (not anyone on this forum, but I’d rather protect my privacy)

They’re saying that they want photos to show customs so they may get a refund for it (it wasn’t insured) and that they’ll then build me another one after I cancel my paypal claim.

For a few reasons I do not like this idea -

- They could simply not honour their agreement and not build me a new one

- It was time sensitive and is now too late

- Once the claim is gone, so is my money for good.

Most people would just leave it to this but my problem is this-

- They were polite when I was enquiring about the early stages of its construction and when I messaged them before paying, but were business-like and rather rude after I paid.

- I always try to imagine me in their shoes. I’m horribly empathetic and I think about how I’d feel if I had a $500 claim against me (though on the other hand I’d be more polite and package it correctly)

I suppose what I want here is support that I’m doing the right thing, as I really feel genuinely bad about this, even though it is not my fault.

Thankyou in advance everyone :slight_smile:

:cheers

ryanamandaanna:

You definitely have to protect yourself in a situation like this; they should not be asking you to drop a paypal claim without you being recompensed. How badly damaged is it? just needs some super glue or totally obliterated?

Pyro Stick:

For $500 i would expect absolutely perfect packaging with insurance and tracking. To get a refund from paypal they will probably ask you to return it and provide them with the tracking number and once its returned you will get your refund. If the model was time sensitive and you no longer need it then this is probably the best option if the seller is being rude and uncooperative. Since this was a commission they will try everything they can not to have to give you a refund unless they are also recompensated because they probably have no chance of ever making money out of it if you dont buy it. Its their own fault though for the sloppy packaging.I dont think you can make a claim twice on one transaction so dont cancel it. You seem to be having a lot of problems recently with things like this. I never realised the pro painted/commision business was so dodgy.

Necrotique:

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. I have no problem returning it. I’ve since started building my own (photos will be upcoming) but this is just… well… mashed beyond recognition. Also, it isn’t even coated in paint properly, and the glues used were those from a glue-gun, ruining what detail survived the shipping.

Should I cut off ebay communication as they are being underhanded and rude, and should I provide photos to them?

I don’t see why they’d chose tracking but no insurance - that is really beyond me.

The main problem is that I emotionally sabotage myself (ridiculous, I know) by placing myself in their position and over-doing the feelings they may have. I know this isn’t logical at all as they should have packed it better, followed the description and painted it as promised.

I don’t think it’s fixable being in so many parts (and partly foam) and I feel I should leave it as it is so that I can ship it back.

I have had bad luck lately, more than usual. I really think that either people’s standards of “pro” and “genuine” greatly differ from mine or they simply know that the title of “pro” will make more sales. I can’t open a second claim, only a dispute, which I escalated to a claim for speedy resolution.

starscream:

What was the item?

Can you show us the advertised offer and what you recieved?

If this is an ebay seller it helps to pre warn others here to be wary.

Hope it gets sorted dude.

Blue in VT:

What a nightmare…but it sounds like you would have been dissatisfied with the model even if it were intact…so I would certainly return it and demand a full refund (including covering the cost of return shipping). If they are at all “professional” the will learn from this mistake…but they will probably just be a pain in the ass. I would only communicate with them further through the paypal system.

Good luck! I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

Blue

Necrotique:

@Starscream - I’ll let you all know once the claim is over if you ask. Right now the seller is being very unreasonable and I don’t want to receive any more abusive messages from them - I’ll let you know if you PM me though, just not publicly where they can look it up and find out my alias (and real name on here) Thanks though, I hope it’s sorted too :slight_smile:

@Blue - I think I’ll just let them deal with the insurance claim as I’d rather just leave it to them after how they’ve acted. I’ll only communicate via the return package to be honest as this whole thing’s turned pear-shaped.

However, the “miniature” in question was very large and I’ll post pictures once my personal one (much better quality anyway) is completed.

I’ve learnt my lesson here and I think I’ll only commission people who’s work I know from forums with a good reputation from now on. I know I’ll get my money back eventually, but this is a real let down, as well as being time-consuming.

Hashut’s Blessing:

No harm in sending them prrof pictures, but if it’s purely your empathy for them, think about their empathy for you. Which they also seem to be lacking in. If they’re rude, as well as sloppy, then they don’t deserve your money for a bad job - you did everything right and they didn’t deliver correctly, so why should you be the one losing out on $500?

snowblizz:

No harm in sending them prrof pictures, but if it's purely your empathy for them, think about their empathy for you. Which they also seem to be lacking in. If they're rude, as well as sloppy, then they don't deserve your money for a bad job - you did everything right and they didn't deliver correctly, so why should you be the one losing out on $500?

Hashut's Blessing
Yeah I'm HB here. Screw 'em! I have no sympathy for those who try and sell stuff and can't do a proper job of it. It's not that hard really (though it can be hard work), the only way you can make it work is to do it on the customer's terms.

I'm in a very "good" mood for taking a hard stance on businesses right now because my grandmother just bought a fairly expensive new flatscreen TV from an electronics store and I strongly suspect they've been "taking advantage" to some degree or other. There was a really dodgy sounding "you totally need this piece of plastic for 100$" they sold to her while installing the darned thing. If only she didn't live sooooo far away.

Borador:

Dude, you are in the right.

Be tough and whoop their asses, get your money back and don’t feel any sympathy at all, they are not worth any more time and effort that they have already claimed from you.

Make sure you show them who’s boss mate! It’s theur fault so they’ve got to pay for it.

G.2:

1. DO NOT drop the paypal claim. It can not be re-opened again.

2. Send them photos of the damaged item.

3. I would stand fast on a refund, and not accept another one.

Good luck mate.

khedyarl:

Holy god, Necro, you’ve been getting screwed left and right lately. :o

I hope everything goes well for you. At least the Mammoth went off without a hitch. Heh.

Baggronor:

I don't see why they'd chose tracking but no insurance - that is really beyond me.
Insurance is expensive. Which wouldn't have been a problem if he was posting something he knew was worth $500. But he knew it wasn't.
The main problem is that I emotionally sabotage myself (ridiculous, I know) by placing myself in their position and over-doing the feelings they may have.
Dude, you paid, they didn't deliver. You requested a service that they claimed to provide, they failed to do so. That's the situation. You have nothing to feel bad about.

If you're going to go into business selling things, you need to do it right. Its that simple. This guy is clearly a douche. Do NOT drop the claim. Do not stop until you have your money back or the product that you commissioned is done to your satisfaction. Don't listen to his bullsh*t, don't get put off by his emails, just think of your hard-earned cash that has changed hands for no return.
If you don't go through with this, he will simply carry on doing it to other people.

Also, in future, commission me :cheers I'm cheaper and I won't try to screw you over.

Necrotique:

Blegh, they’re now doing the whole “cancel the claim and I’ll refund immediately deal” :mad
To make it even more believable, he’s offered a full refund and another free $500 commission provided I drop the claim :~
All compassion I had for them has really disappeared now. I also check their sales using the “completed listings” option on eBay and they cleared six in one week… So I’m pretty sure he’s not short on cash.
Anyone that wants their eBay details, feel free to PM me and I’ll let you know. I just don’t want to do it on here as I have personal information up.
I won’t drop the claim, I’ll ride out the case (these usually only take a few das for paypal to ask me to return it or get a refund)
Here’s to hoping the claim goes through soon

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think that you’ve taken done the right thing. Without a signed contract by him with which to take him to court on the matter for failing to provide on the second count, you really can’t trust this guy. Alternatively, offer him a deal of you dropping the claim after he has delivered on his promise.

grimsnikk:

Agree with HB 100%. Had a similar (though much less $ involved situation) where I got ripped off. It was less than $50, so enough to learn a lesson but not enough to be really screwed over.

If you drop the claim, there is a significant chance you will never get your $ back, or whatever else the commisioner has promised you. As others have said, once the claim is dropped, it can never be reopened. I’d also like to say good luck leaving some major negative feedback on ebay.

I don’t see why they’d demand you drop the paypal claim for any other reason than: they are about to rip you off.

Necrotique:

Well it’s now in the hands of paypal (taking much longer than I’d want) and hopefully I’ll be asked to return the item (or what’s left of it) very soon.

A quick question; If I pay by credit card and then receive a refund, does it go straight to my paypal or back to my card?

rabotak:

IIRC it should go to your paypal account.

littlepuppi:

IIRC it should go to your paypal account.

rabotak
It will hit your credit card mate.....

angryboy2k:

Well it's now in the hands of paypal (taking much longer than I'd want) and hopefully I'll be asked to return the item (or what's left of it) very soon.
A quick question; If I pay by credit card and then receive a refund, does it go straight to my paypal or back to my card?

Necrotique
I'm pretty sure it'll be refunded to the same way in which it was paid. So if you used a credit card, it'll be refunded to your card.