[Archive] Neil DeGrasse Tyson has it right, spread the word

Willmark:

NOTE: this is not to alienate those who are not American, rather it’s the Americans who can spread the word and pressure their Congressmen/Senators. (I state this because I s!it you not someone will complain about being “imperial”).

This is powerful, just remember, 4/10th of 1 penny on every tax dollar. Read that again.

If we are friends on Facebook stop on and share my link. Neil DeGrasse  Tyson’s message is to important no to.

Spread the word.

cornixt:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is awesome.

Thommy H:

This is all correct. Although if the world’s governments can’t be persuaded to take a bit more care with the ball of rock we’re actually on, I don’t have much faith that they’re capable of the necessary forward planning required to go to different ones except as a political stunt for short-term gain.

Willmark:

Note to everyone I don’t want this to drag to political.

My comment on that Thommy is that if we wait to fix the problems on earth first we’ll never do anything because those problems arent being solved soon.

You’ll get not arguement from me in regards to the incompetence of the government.

Shakhorth:

I’m not an American, however the space program is very important too me… Especially what it represents.

We need our dreams, our future depends on it.

Thommy H:

My stance is not anti-government: it’s anti-humanity.

DAGabriel:

Anti- humanity as in the joke?

Two planets meet in space. One of them is groaning like hell.

The other one asks: “What`s the matter with you?”

“I have got Homo sapiens!”

“Never mind, that will pass soon enough.”

Thommy H:

Samanos:

:D:D lol

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Kera foehunter:

America has always had a space program

1492 Columbus sail a ship to the new world ( throw it not a rocket ) it faced the un known space like Captian Kirk.

then 1620 pilgrims race to get (there Space)

The french English and Spain start the space race …to take more land for there own space

Then the american out does all of them and has the most space!!

then in 1959 all the states where formed and no space left. they go to the moon

so to have more space …

But they have learned much more on getting into Space way before before NASA

Willmark:

:D:D lol

Samanos
And while funny that's entirely the attitude that happens in the US preventing us from doing anything worth while.

The refrain I hear is "we need to fix problems here first, we need to do X first". After decades and trillions of dollars spent those problems aren't going away anytime soon. The question I pose to those folks who then stare back at me all slack jawed is "we should shackle science until X is solved first?"

To which I double face palm.

We are already spending trillions on fixing X, meanwhile NASA is doing more with less and less. It's entirely political when you have people saying (no joke I saw this in the paper years ago) "why did we spend 400 million on that probe. When it could be better spent down here." O_O you're kidding me right, I wanted to say. NASA spending is a fraction of a fraction. NDT hit the nail on the head. NASA isn't even in the same league as the federal spending that us going on.

At least if I'm getting raked over the coals on taxes I want more of it to go to something that will be useful in everyday life.

Thommy H:

No, I think you’re misunderstanding me: I’m not saying we shouldn’t because of more terrestrial problems, I’m saying that the stupid terrestrial problems that we do have - such as recklessly poisoning our own biosphere - is good evidence that the foresight required for investment in long-term space exploration is beyond the ability of most of our species.

We absolutely should and must go into space, because it’s the paradigm shift we need to save ourselves from self-destruction, but if we can’t drum in basic stuff like “hey, oil is a finite resource, guys” what hope is there of making it happen?

Willmark:

Got yah.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

JonJon:

About 30 years ago the Ohio river caught on fire! There were almost no predator birds left in the US, well today they are sport fishing in the Ohio river and the birds have made a huge come back, granted we still have problems, but we are getting a handle on it people are aware and improving everyday,I just finished washing my cans for recycling my father would never had done that,there is plenty of hope for mankind,gloom and doom is just real popular right now, IMHO I think it’s just most of you have not been shot at enough,to realize how good you have it. I am know stepping down from my soap box and picking up a miniature to paint

Willmark:

It has nothing to do with “how good you have it”. That’s not my point at all.

My point is we are artificially hamstringing the one government entity that actually is a good use of tax dollars that produces directly or indirectly industry, technology and dare I say as NDT points out to dream.

My daughter loves NASA we read up on the rovers on Mars. My son was saddened when Spirit “went to sleep”. My daughter asks how come the shuttles aren’t flying any more, how come NASA isn’t what it used to be. I struggle to tell get that it’s because of a systematic failure of congressional and presidential leadership to take that which is best in us and stymie it. Instead it’s easier to pander to “how come we are spending 400 million on a space probe” no nothings as of that’s a significant amount of money on a federal scale.

Sorry about the soap box folks but this topic has bothered me for years. It took NDT to put it together far more eloquently then I could ever hope to do.

JonJon:

It’s a cycle ,right now the world is in a big recession, soon the technology will be good enough to go to the stars yet but the FROG has floated and the rest of the tech is close,soon it will be ready just be patient

ryanamandaanna:

Thanks for sharing this, Willmark

drakkzharr:

A friend of mine once told me about a lecture his proffesor gave at the Eindhoven university of technology. The prof claimed that people need to loose the mindset that science can solve everything. It’s way to easy to say that the science of tomorrow will solve today’s problems. He had a good point I must admit. We and the governments shouldn’t postpone decisions but act now before it’s to late.

Just my 2 cents…

JonJon:

Great sound and fury yet signifying nothing

JonJon:

It has nothing to do with "how good you have it". That's not my point at all.

My point is we are artificially hamstringing the one government entity that actually is a good use of tax dollars that produces directly or indirectly industry, technology and dare I say as NDT points out to dream.

My daughter loves NASA we read up on the rovers on Mars. My son was saddened when Spirit "went to sleep". My daughter asks how come the shuttles aren't flying any more, how come NASA isn't what it used to be. I struggle to tell get that it's because of a systematic failure of congressional and presidential leadership to take that which is best in us and stymie it. Instead it's easier to pander to "how come we are spending 400 million on a space probe" no nothings as of that's a significant amount of money on a federal scale.

Sorry about the soap box folks but this topic has bothered me for years. It took NDT to put it together far more eloquently then I could ever hope to do.

Willmark
I wasn't really talking to you,but the simple answer to your daughters question would be ,the shuttle was dead tech when they made it,,just a bit of pr for the masses and we will go to mars when they solve the gravity problem ( floating frog) man space flight has stopped because of the maasive loss of bone mass due to prolonged exposure to zero gravity. After all who wants to go to Mars if your bones want support you when you get back to earth. That's the answer you should tell your children