[Archive] (NEW) 850pt vs Brettonian

Rod1980:

Ok after my poor luck last time and the chance for a bigger game I have the following list for the rematch

Chaos Dwarf army - Total: 850pts

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero - Level 1,

Total unit cost 60pts

2 Chaos Dwarf Warriors x20 - Heavy armour, shield, great weapon, full cmd,

9 pts/model, Total unit cost 250pts

3 Chaos Dwarf Warriors x20 - Heavy armour, shield, great weapon, full cmd,

9 pts/model, Total unit cost 250pts

4 Hobgoblins x10 -

2 pts/model, Total unit cost 20pts

5 Hobgoblins x10 -

6 Hobgoblins x10 -

7 Earthshaker - Three Chaos Dwarf crew with heavy armour, Quake rules: Troops move at half rate, no shooting, war machine may fire on 4+,

Total unit cost 110pts

8 Bolt Thrower x4 - Two Hobgoblin crew, Free Choice,

30 pts/model, Total unit cost 120pts

I thought have a hob - CD - hob - CD - hob line in front of the artillery

with the hob as the knight interceptors to draw back onto the CD line. Not sure where to put the gen though? :frowning:

Any thoughts?

Border Reiver:

alright, you are considering giving your hero some equipment right? At the moment he’s in the front line of one of your units and is wondering why he left home that morning without armour or anything other than his eating dagger…

If you drop one bolt thrower you can fit him out with armour of gazrackh to keep him survivable, and if you drop a single warrior from one of the units you can give that hero a Great Weapon so that he hits fairly hard. This will give you something to smack your opponent with and keep it survivable.

Other than your war machines, you don’t have any shooting, which depending on your opponents may be problematic.

Additionally, you have not sorcerers for additional magic defence and a magic heavy army (TK or VC) may give you problems in that area.

The other problem that I note with your list is that you aren’t actually paying for the great weapons you’ve given your warriors (having forgotten to add the two point each for them). That’s 80 points you need to find room for.

Based on what I see above, your intent appears to be to castle up in one area, shoot the war machines at the on coming foe and hopefully divert a charge or two with the 10 man hobgoblin units to hopelfully set up a flank charge. Personally, I don’t care for that strategy, as it concedes the initiative to your opponent, as he will be the one to decide when where and with whom he will be engaging. Given what you have, you may wish to set up your army in two parts - the warmachines, with perhaps a unit of hobgoblins to act as guards and the infantry (the hobgoblin units in front and the CD warriors in behind as a follow on force/strategic reserve).

Surprise your opponent by advancing on him, using terrain or the board edge to guard a flank and take the battle to him. He won’t expect that and will put him on his back foot. Advance on his flanks, if your lucky he will have deployed something soft and squishy there for you to smack.

Good luck