[Archive] New army

grismund:

Hi guys, Im not sure if this should go in the army selection section or this section but Ill just put it here as Im looking for advice.

I used to play a magic heavy vampire counts army and have recently been playing orcs and goblins. Anyway I have decided to try and start a CD army as they are the least used (probably). So I could use some of my night goblins and orcs in my new army. I compiled a quick 1000 point army list today at work here goes. All the models come with the standard equipment unless stated.

level 2 sorceror

dispell scroll

125pts

level 2 sorceror

dispell scroll

125pts

20 Warriors

Full command

210pts

20 Warriors

Full command

210pts

10 Warriors

Blunderbusses

120pts

15 Hobgoblins

30pts

bolthrower x 2

60pts

earthshaker

110pts

total 1000 points

Gilzam:

Should be in armylists :hat off but Ill aid you as much as I can, im a fluff player that quite often beats beardies :slight_smile:

Personally I think that two level 2 sorcerers at 1000 is probally ok but I would prefer to use one Hero and a scroll caddy level 1. You cant really be overpowering with magic with two sorcerers and it would allow more flexiblity (I play magic heavy only in 500pts and 2000pts+), this would be my preferance but its up to you.

Good amount of warriors in the list but Great Weapons tend to be overpriced for CD, I do use them but some people here will state that you can get some Orc Big’uns or Black Orcs to do the job better and more effectivly, but to me why get an Orc to do a CD job eh? (Even if they are cheaper, faster, have more attacks…)

Maybe try make the BB a bit bigger in unit size for more strength, other than that this list is pretty flexible and solid :hat off

Pyro Stick:

Try and get the Blunderbuss unit up to 15 if you can so that they are at their max strength

grismund:

Yeah I was wondering about the two wizards. Instead of one of them i was considering taking a CD hero or maybe even a BC hero. A BC come in at 110pts just with hvy armor shield and great/additional hand weapon. so i would have 15 points to spare.

Is the earthshaker worth taking in smaller games or is the deathrocket just as good? I think the movement slowing of the earthshaker would be great in small games with only a few units on the board.

wallacer:

Is the earthshaker worth taking in smaller games

grismund
It's ability to slow down enemy movement and thus dictate gameplay makes it useful in any game really. I guess at smaller points values you may find it trickier to protect, however.

And yes, I would increase the size of the blunderbuss unit (as one of the previous posters suggested).
Ditching one of the wizards (or possibly even just the dispel scrolls) should give you enough points to do so.

Lava Lord:

Wallacer, you mentioned protecting the earthshaker. In small and large games what have you heard and use for protection? :hat off

What is the prevailing opinion, are two earthshakers to much (cheesy) for 2000pt game?

wallacer:

Wallacer, you mentioned protecting the earthshaker.��In small and large games what have you heard and use for protection?��:hat off

Lava Lord
Orc or Hobgoblin archers would be good.��Maybe a scroll caddy with some fire magic.��Maybe a dirt cheap hobgoblin hero or wolf riders.
I guess how much you're willing to commit to protect the ES depends on the scale of the game.��At the very least I think some hobgobs would be worthwhile.
What is the prevailing opinion, are two earthshakers to much (cheesy) for 2000pt game?

Lava Lord
yes.

grismund:

ok so if I add a few more blunderbusses and use some hobgobs to protect the earthshaker It should be a bit better.

I think I would normally let the enemy come to me so I can use the ES and Fire/metal magic to inflict some pain. And pair one of the CD units up with the blunderbusses. It really depends on the oponents army in small games.

wallacer:

ok so if I add a few more blunderbusses and use some hobgobs to protect the earthshaker It should be a bit better.

grismund
I think your opponents would be happier facing the blunderbusses than a second Earthshaker - they're an interesting unit and don't have a very long range (the blunderbusses, that is).
A second Earthshaker will make them not want to play you ever again (and possibly also contemplate hurting you).

In 2k I normally have a core of CD warriors (2 or 3 units) with a blunderbuss unit either side of them to keep away any pesky fast cav trying to flank my main units.
I play a denied flank on one side, and on the other flank I have my Bull Centaurs and Lord on Taurus.

The Earthshaker normally goes on the hill (if I have one) along with my 2 bolt throwers (unless I have a second hill in my deployment zone) and a unit of Hobgoblins to ward off any flyers.��Maybe also a scroll caddy wizard.

That seems to work OK for me in most games, although it may vary slightly depending on terrain and the opponent.