[Archive] new Avatars of War Skaven figure

snowblizz:

Unbridled creativity? I blame the following on that:
Please don't post that thing. It offends my eyes. Doubly so because the sculpting is good. And yes, its the result of unbridled creativity, but I don't imagine it caught on. I mean, just imagine what a painted one would look like. Jeez. :sick

Baggronor
Lets all chip in and buy one for Blue if he promises to paint it d:
(to get a theme of wasting talent going)

Bolg
They are all sold out though, so that's not possible.

Admiral:

snowblizz
Trolling deluxe? :P

Baggronor:

Clearly they're a better idea than I thought. Still awful though.

Anyway, we don't know how many they made - selling out isn't hard if you only made 20 ;)

snowblizz:

snowblizz
Trolling deluxe? :P

Admiral
Eh?
I'm just stating a fact.
Clearly they're a better idea than I thought. Still awful though.

Anyway, we don't know how many they made - selling out isn't hard if you only made 20 ;)

Baggronor
Don't know, don't care. They've manage to sell out. Twice. That's what it says on their pages. So must'ave been two models at least. I don't care for the model very much as such. But if people want to buy that and someone wants to make one, well it's not my problem.

Just not a fan of this high-horse "ooh but this doesn't reach *my* standards of excellence" argument. Reminds me too much of the "beer at the football stadium is bad, but drinking wine in the public library is cultured" idea.

What they say on their pages BTW.
The first Wet Nurse release was so intense I thought my email inbox might explode. The reception and demand simply shocked me and it was my honest desperate wish to instantly get a Wet Nurse to every fan. But in the end... to preserve the absolute peak of its quality, we stuck to our current production method and have been slowly casting a second run stock alongside new miniatures.

We are releasing the second run of Wet Nurses as a special, we-can't-believe-you-wanted-more release to thank fans for their support of our bizarre nightmares.

Thommy H:

Just not a fan of this high-horse "ooh but this doesn't reach *my* standards of excellence" argument. Reminds me too much of the "beer at the football stadium is bad, but drinking wine in the public library is cultured" idea.
So...no one is allowed to have opinions about things?

Bassman:

oddly :wink: I do agree with Tommy H. I do not see the point in creating something SO similar to an existing range. I wouls understand a rat-like creature, not a spin off of the GW range.

Each it’s own but I like creativity and appreciate the attempt to do something new and different.

Baggronor:

Just not a fan of this high-horse "ooh but this doesn't reach *my* standards of excellence" argument.
You what? I myself said earlier that the sculpting on it is good. I just disapprove of a tentacle rape-monster because its in appalling taste, something which is basically beyond debate.

I never at any point said they shouldn't make it or sell it, or told anyone else what to think of it, that's none of my business. If people want to come on here and say they love tentacle rape monsters, then they should go ahead and do so. I respect their right to love tentacle rape monsters, if not their taste.

And if they've made a killing out of it, good for them. Its still awful though.

Anyway, back on topic.

snowblizz:

So...no one is allowed to have opinions about things?

Thommy H
Not when you can't be creative with that opinion no.
I can buy the argument that something isn't very technically good. Which is why eg I agree with you about the Scibor stuff.
But this vaguely "oh but it's not creative enough" irks me. You're asking them to waste their time and effort on some vast lofty and incredibly ephemeral goal that they should achieve.
I just don't understand why you expect a business to be supposed to be doing what essentially amounts to creating art.
It just comes over as really whiny and frankly sometimes very condescending.
oddly ;) I do agree with Tommy H. I do not see the point in creating something SO similar to an existing range. I wouls understand a rat-like creature, not a spin off of the GW range.

Each it's own but I like creativity and appreciate the attempt to do something new and different.

Bassman
Then do that, and let the people who actually want to make money do so. Maelstrom has made a "Rat battle standard bearer". I don't particularly like their style, and it looks different from GW. In fact, that's probably it's biggest problem. It doesn't fit anywhere and so has no value to me. Which unfortunately is the fate of a lot nice miniatures and consequently resulting in the failure of many of the creative attempts I've seen.
Just not a fan of this high-horse "ooh but this doesn't reach *my* standards of excellence" argument.
You what? I myself said earlier that the sculpting on it is good. I just disapprove of a tentacle rape-monster because its in appalling taste, something which is basically beyond debate.

Baggronor
I *was* talking about Thommy. Who "shuts down" those who doesn't write as well as he does, or is not "creative" enough for his liking.
The point with that "thing" is that just being creative in making different models might not be the end all of everything.

We all know what AoW does. It's no big secret. I don't get why people are still complaining about this. It's what they do. These are gaming pieces, they are made to work together with other similar ones. That's one of their main attractions. And that's a huge problem? The fact that the models are so close to GW's style is probably why I like them so much. There's huge amounts of models out there in different scales or different in style, but they are essentially useless to someone who wants the models to look like they belong together. I have  a massive problem with Minotaurs eg. I don't like the plastic GW makes, but there's nowhere I can find something decent in enough numbers to work. I think I've seen a half a dozen different and thus apparently creative versions, but they are essentially completely useless to me.

Obviously I like the Not-Really-A-GW-Skaven-We-Promise. And I have to say I'm now thinking strongly about maybe doing Skaven anyway. Looking like it could fit with the other models is why this model would work for me.

Thommy H:

I just don't understand why you expect a business to be supposed to be doing what essentially amounts to creating art.
I'm not going to judge things solely by how successful they are commercially though - I already made the X-Factor comparison. When someone posts a picture of a miniature, I can only judge it on merit. If we all have to add caveats to our opinions every time we say something, we'll be here all day. Yes, I'm sure it'll sell very well. Yes, Felix is very clever. It's still a pointless figure though and in an objective sense, I don't like that he's not doing something more interesting with his talent. Maybe you find that condescending, but I'm not going to apologise for believing that talented people should make the most of their abilities. I actually do think that everyone should "create art" at every opportunity. All human achievements should be beautiful, worthwhile and ethical. Why strive for anything but the pinnacle of excellence? But we're into philosophy now...
These are gaming pieces, they are made to work together with other similar ones. That's one of their main attractions. And that's a huge problem?
It's not a "huge problem". Someone posted a picture of a model and implicitly invited opinions. I don't care, but if pressed for that opinion, this is what it is. I didn't exactly go out of my way to knock it - I just commented in a thread on a forum I frequent quite a bit.

Look, I'm sorry if you disagree with me and some others in this thread. We're not here to achieve consensus though. It's not an attack on anything. Someone asked us what we think and we told them. I'm not having a go at you for liking it. Go ahead and buy it - I want AoW to be successful (I've bought their figures before now - see my avatar) but I wish they'd break the mould a little more often, that's all.
I *was* talking about Thommy. Who "shuts down" those who doesn't write as well as he does
This, on the other hand, is just flamebait. I don't even know what it means. Are you talking about when I don't like something in a GW publication, or my opinions about some of the rumoured WF rules? Because it seems like you're implying that, because I write, I'm not allowed to talk about writing at all without it being an implicit comparison to my own work. And that's not really fair. I may have humorously said things like, "why didn't GW get me to write this stuff, eh?" and I may sometimes have been frustrated at the way some GW books are written, but that comes from having a degree in English Literature: I can recognise bad writing. That's not always the same thing as saying, or even thinking, that I could do it better myself.

And I have never, never, never denigrated the writing abilities of anyone on this forum, or any non-published writer whose work has crossed my path. I've collaborated extensively with other writers for years and accusing me of "shutting down" anyone who I don't think is good enough is tantamount to accusing me of professional misconduct.

wallacer:

Well, since I started this thread I guess I also have the right to close it.

All I really wanted to do was make people aware that the figure exists, which has been achieved.

Hopefully everyone who wanted to have a say has now been given the opportunity to do so.