[Archive] New Convert's first attempts

LionElJohnson:

Hey All,

So, ya got me. I heard Matty on Podhammer with his Chaos Dwarf review. I always thought they were cool from playing against them in 5th edition but never got around to collecting them. I saw Xander’s video instructions and had to grab that BFSP mini I got in a White Dwarf. So here are my attempts, please let me know what you think and any advise would be helpful.

Here are all the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25332206@N07/sets/72157604568932880/

Here are the 2 models

Angles for the BFSP warriors. Haven’t completed the right arm yet. Not sure about putting the scales on the arms or leaving them as cloth. Also needs some gap filling.

Here is the blunderbuss. Based on the thunderers with bucklers as seen here on the site. Again, not sure about arms.

You guys rock, nice job on the site. Hopefully I’ll have more to come.

furrie:

looking good so far, you might want to add some more locks to the BB, and add some details to the axe of the warrior, like adding the rune of hashut on the axe

Khan!:

Looks good to me! Great big hats, particularly. Welcome to the site.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

These look great! They also look like an awful lot of work…! :o

Canix:

Excellent stuff ,great bighats tho they look like alot of work as Ishkur says.The blunderbus guy looks spot on i look forward to seeing them painted:hat

LionElJohnson:

Thanks. Good call on the axe. As I discovered with the hats, it’s easier to do the markings with plasticard than greenstuff. They did take a little while but I’m sure a lot of that is due to no experience. The hats have been taking a bit but I’m figuring out how to make them go quicker each time. They are thin plasticard rolled up in a tube and plastic glued together. Then I put a square of card on top and trim it to the top of the tube. Then I have to green stuff the disjoint at the back. Hopefully it won’t be too noticiable and will at least look okay from the front. I really enjoy the sculpting of the armour and the beards. Anyone have suggestions on how to do enlarged noses or the big lower teeth? I tried with the nose on the BB until I gave up. Also please let me know what other people think/have done for the arms. Scale mail or cloth? Should I leave the left arm of the warrior armoured as protection when blocking attacks with his shield arm? Thanks.

torn:

i really like your use of plasticard, especially for the hat, ive never seen it done before, although i can imagine it is a lot of trouble getting it to stay in shape while the glue dries (unless you have a secret way of doing it)

the axe is cool, proper old school style, and the beards are top notch. cant wait to see a painted unit!

big hats for the win!

minty:

wow, very, very nice my friend. That is excelent work, top notch

I love the use of Plasticard and stuff:)

LionElJohnson:

For the hats I cut out a rectangle(for cylindrical) or trapezoid(for conical), I then put a small amount of plastic glue on one edge and roll it into a tube. To hold it into place I take my bent nose GW modeling pliers and clamp down on the connection and hold it there while I watch tv or something. Since it’s plastic glue it’ll melt the two together and it doesn’t take too long, I can just hang out. I only figured this out after the first one, which was incredibly difficult. Does that all make sense? Kinda hard to describe.

ashur:

Looking good. Specially the hallebard

Vasquez:

Impressive first attempts :slight_smile: Keep them coming, they’re smashing :wink:

torn:

For the hats I cut out a rectangle(for cylindrical) or trapezoid(for conical), I then put a small amount of plastic glue on one edge and roll it into a tube. To hold it into place I take my bent nose GW modeling pliers and clamp down on the connection and hold it there while I watch tv or something. Since it's plastic glue it'll melt the two together and it doesn't take too long, I can just hang out. I only figured this out after the first one, which was incredibly difficult. Does that all make sense? Kinda hard to describe.

LionElJohnson
yeah it makes sense what you mean, but all that holding it together while it glues is doing it the hard way! you should have a look through the threads in conversions section to see how other people are doing it, maybes that will give you a few ideas, as i can imagine you could be sat for quite some time holding the plasticard in those pliers for a whole unit.

one possibility would be using grips instead of pliers, not really sure what they are officially called, but they are like pliers with a screw through them so you can open and close them like a vice.

Xander:

Wow, awesome work. Loving what you have so far. Good work with the GS. It’ll be interesting to see where you take that axe. :slight_smile:

Hashut’s Blessing:

They look great. Clean sculpting. Good beards, decent scale-mail. I’d suggest having scale on the warrior’s arms (or at least just the weapon arm. The shield one is covered by a shield as protection.) and probably not the blunderbussers arms. Think it could look quite cool. The nose on the warrior seems to work, but it seems that they may not be necessary. However, others have used greenstuff, also for the teeth and some have used tiny triangles of plasticard instead. Hope this helps. Welcome to the world of Chaos Dwarfs!

Merchant:

These are great, you may be new with CD’s but not with GS in your hands :slight_smile: But I’ll like to see some close up of their head, some time - because those little bad-fatties af cool to the top :slight_smile:

cheers mate :cheers

LionElJohnson:

So before I start painting I wanted to have a try at a special base. I wanted to see if it seems weird.

I’m not sure if it’ll be weird for a unit to appear to be walking on a collection of floating rocks. Opinions on this as for a unit? Ways to make it better or just go for it?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Add some red shine on the rocks, it will increase the glow effect and the whole thing will look great!

Hashut’s Blessing:

If possible and not too time-consuming, a successful attempt at lighting sources from underneath the rocks could be cool. A little grit/sand glued on top and highlighted in the same way will work wonders. Look at the real solidified lava floating in lava streams (on the internet if your local volcano has run out :wink: ) and you’ll see that it’s not quite as smooth as that. Hope that helps. Otherwise, looks really cool!

torn:

what did you use for the rocks? as far as i can tell they look like the little stones that go in plant pots or driveways, but i may be mistaken.

Xander:

Those look great! Well done. :slight_smile: