[Archive] New LoA player and his blog [4/1/13: Bull Centaur Conversion]

sheogorath:

Starting a Legion army, got my K’daai mostly done (still want to work on the lava dripping from him/on the ground).

some Infernal Guard…quality of these photos isn’t great, but neither is my painting, so whatever. I need to complete the banner for my BSB also.

criticism welcome, of course.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Zuh-Khinie:

I’m loving that destroyer… I’ve seen a lot of destroyers built from the stonetusk, but I like the dripping lava and armor on yours. One note of comment though (which shouldn’t disturb you in the slightest), the runes on your armour could look a bit more dwarflike.

sheogorath:

thanks for the compliment! about the runes: yeah, this was my first real attempt to sculpt runes with greenstuff, and they came out a bit more curvy and less angular than I’d like. I may pick them off and attempt again when I get the courage.

sheogorath:

Sorcerer-Prophet

Will la tete rouge:

Sorcerer-Prophet

sheogorath
Really like the stonetusk conversion. I have an Ogre Army and would have 100s of stonehorns if I could as I think the model is lovely. You have achieved a really good dripping effect on the face lava - have you any WIP pictures of this?

I also really lovely the smoke effect - what did you use to do this? I must admit, that model always seemed a little strange to me, he almost looks like he is going 'Ok, I put that machine together. I followed all the instructions and I still have 1 nut left over, hmmm?' Your interpretation makes a lot more sense.

The only thing I would say is that having your IG black/metal highlighted doesn't allow you to have a lot of contract on the other elements of the model - scales/beard/weapon etc. Have you considered having a different colour for the plating of the blackshard armour?

A friend of mine did his with a bright yellow - sounds odd but actually looked quite good and he was really happy till somebody told him they looked like TAU, lol.

Don't put yourself down, I think your painting is very neat and effective.

Kera foehunter:

off to a good start.

sheogorath:

Really like the stonetusk conversion. I have an Ogre Army and would have 100s of stonehorns if I could as I think the model is lovely. You have achieved a really good dripping effect on the face lava - have you any WIP pictures of this?

I also really lovely the smoke effect - what did you use to do this? I must admit, that model always seemed a little strange to me, he almost looks like he is going 'Ok, I put that machine together. I followed all the instructions and I still have 1 nut left over, hmmm?' Your interpretation makes a lot more sense.

The only thing I would say is that having your IG black/metal highlighted doesn't allow you to have a lot of contract on the other elements of the model - scales/beard/weapon etc. Have you considered having a different colour for the plating of the blackshard armour?

A friend of mine did his with a bright yellow - sounds odd but actually looked quite good and he was really happy till somebody told him they looked like TAU, lol.

Don't put yourself down, I think your painting is very neat and effective.

Will la tete rouge
Thanks for your comments! :hat off:  The thing in the Lord's hand looked like a pipe to me, so I used some of the micro fiber stuffing from a pillow to make smoke tendrils.  Gives him a contemplative look, I think.

I've thought of doing the scales on the black shard with "screaming bell" (the color I used for the sorcerer-prophet's armor) to give some contrast. It's definitely a thought.
off to a good start.

Kera foehunter
Thanks!

Yodrin:

This looks really promising, nice stonetusk conversion indeed. keep up the god work!

sheogorath:

with some assistance from The Fiancee, the K’daai Destroyer has improved lava effects.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Good start!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Grimstonefire:

The metals and horns could do with some brighter highlights imo. Overall not bad at all though.

When he’s done you should enter him in the current Golden Hat

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12879&page=1

sheogorath:

The metals and horns could do with some brighter highlights imo. Overall not bad at all though.

When he's done you should enter him in the current Golden Hat
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12879&page=1

Grimstonefire
I'll definitely do some more highlighting, though I still want to keep the metal dark. Thanks a ton for the feedback! I'll enter him into the contest for sure.

gIL^:

Welcome to the forum friend! Great start i can’t wait to see what’s next

Abecedar:

definitely love the dripping lava, you should have held off posting pics of it and put it in the upcoming golden hat

sheogorath:

definitely love the dripping lava, you should have held off posting pics of it and put it in the upcoming golden hat

Abecedar
I didn't know about the golden hat until after I posted! I'm guessing I can't submit him if i've posted him here?
Nice smoke effect. Looks like he's smoking strong stuff! ;P

And your K'daai Destroyer looks also pretty cool.

:hat off

Herby
thanks!

UPDATE: should have some more infernal guard to show off, and a daemonsmith later today.

tjub:

Nice!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

sheogorath:

First Infernal Guard regiment of 30

and a Daemonsmith

Yodrin:

Thats a nice looking unit!!

sheogorath:

Thats a nice looking unit!!

Yodrin
Thanks! I'm pretty proud of them.

two deathshriekers, one magma cannon, a daemonsmith and twenty fireglaives to go.

Grimstonefire:

What we normally do with the golden hats is make them more or less anonymous.  So, especially as you’re new here, you should be fine.  Perhaps best to send a private message to one of the staff and ask.