[Archive] Next artisan contest

Malorndk:

Hey fellow members!

I really want to participate in some contests soon, but the theme has been somewhat niche lately: slaves, ogres, displaced CDs and so forth This has made some great entries, but it haven’t psyched me, since I wont use them in games. The next artisan should be useable in game, and lacking from many of our armies.

That got me thinking. Aside from tjub, many of us really lack some decent dawi zharr terrain. So I want a contest that allows model for size measuring, but focus completely on the terrain. I want a long deadline, so that people can go nuts and choose their own way of realizing the Dark Lands, whether as a solo piece of terrain, a diorama or an entire table.

Examble of things you could do:

A mine with the desperate screams from labouring slaves.

An impregnable wall to keep outsiders from our riches.

A tower with classic iconography.

A temple of Hashut with a sacrificial pit.

An ancient ruin from Zorn Uzkul, with mystical idols of ancient forefathers.

Show us how you envison the Plain of Skulls during the End Times or a nomad Hobgoblin encampment in the middle of nowhere

Would you guys n’ gals be down with such a contest or is it too far away of painting cool minis?

TheHoodedMan:

Thats a fantastic idea. I would appreciate such a theme. I`m thinking of special Dawi Zharr terrain for a while and a contest would be a nice motivation.

Loidrial:

That sounds indeed really interesting, unfortunatly for many people building something so big or detailed will be a bit off ( i think) for the amount of time or skill required.

But surely it is a great idea.

Admiral:

Dawi Zharr terrain/architecture as a theme, with allowance for miniatures included, is a good one. People could make small steles or idol statues, or go for whole mines, towers and temples, complete with dioramas should they wish. Neat idea, Malorndk!

TheHoodedMan:

I propose to allow only unpainted models in such a competition for size comparisons unless they were part of the terrain (like Han Solo in Carbonit in Jabbas Palace ;-)).

Malorndk:

When I say long deadline I mean more than 2-3 weeks, but not like 3 months or something :wink:

Malorndk:

I propose to allow only unpainted models in such a competition for size comparisons unless they were part of the terrain (like Han Solo in Carbonit in Jabbas Palace ;-)).

TheHoodedMan
Thats a great idea! To keep the focus on the terrain. I love it!

Loidrial:

So i guess eventually like a diorama on the base for a custom warmachine wont be the idea, right? (because in few days i will recieve the bits i wanted to use for a custom hellcannon/earthquake morta, still to decide)

MadHatter:

I back this idea :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Zanko:

I like it! :cheers

:hashut

Bloodbeard:

Lovely idea! I like it a lot. But I do thing we should confine it a bit, so it’s not completely open. A lot of our last competitions has been completely open GHXX, GHXXI (slaves of all kinds and giant machines) and ACXVI.

It would also be in the interst of future ACs to make a more closed theme. This way we could have multible ACs with terrain as a theme.

• Terrain: Chaos Dwarf Fortification. Make fortifications terrain for CD. An wall, a gate, an entire fortress or something as simple as a fence with chains and spikes or a pit of toxic waste and spikes.
  • Terrain: Chaos Dwarf Industry. A mining complex, a factory, a smithy, a waste/junk yard, a train station.
  • Terrain: Chaos Dwarf Housing, City Life and Shops. A housing ziggurat, a market place, an armorer, the slave market, an arena.
  • Terrain: Chaos Dwarf Religion. A temple, a statue, an altar, a golden cow thrown in a volcano.

All different themes will allow for major and minor contributions, are open enough to do many different thinks, while making people vote on similar7comparable entries. But most importantly it will let us make a lot of Artisans Competitions with a terrain theme, without getting into “og no, we just did that” problems.

I think the contests should allow a couple miniatures “that has been featured in the galleries or on blogs”. This should be for size comparisson. Unless the miniatures are a part of the terrain (glued in place) - like slaves in a dungeon, a sacrifice on an altar, someone spiked on fortifications, drowning in pits and so on.

Not all ACs should be terrain (we’ve had writing before etc before). Admiral has suggested the “displaced CDs theme” for a future contest. I would rather make other AC miniatures, that is not specially minded for gaming. Working well with the CD terrain competitions could be an AC with:
  • Chaos Dwarf Civilians. Bakers, slavers, merchants, priests, astronomers, smiths, miners.

As for time frame to do the entries. This terrain AC wouldn’t need a longer one. If people want to do something all crazy big, they’ll just have to work faster. big stuff always get a lot of votes - so no need to give them an advantage by also having a lot of time.

4-6 weeks is a good time frame I think.
1st week to get an idea and order stuff from the internet if needed (models, materials etc).
2nd week the materials should come in from the order, perhaps even late in the week. And some people might first see the competition notification thread here.
3rd-6st week to build, paint and take pictures.

Personally I have 3 extra kids every other week, so there is no hobby time then.

Shorter than this period is not enough time, if there’s a delay on ordered materials or something like it. Longer than 6 weeks and there’s way to much time - and knowing from myself I’ll first start working when half the time is done because “eternity until deadline”.

Yup. 4-5 weeks would be perfect.

DAGabriel:

+1, lovely idea!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

TheHoodedMan:

Very good suggestions, Bloodbeard.

By the way: My idea for the last AC would have been a chaos dwarf butcher :-).

Loidrial:

ps any idea why (at least I) cant see the last golden hats? like the last 2 or 3. it give me error when i try to open the page.

Bloodbeard:

ps any idea why (at least I) cant see the last golden hats? like the last 2 or 3. it give me error when i try to open the page.

Loidrial
General problem needing fixing. Check the "website news" part of the forum. They are all in there.

The_Penguin:

I think it is a great idea! :cheers

However, I suppose it will be a bit challenging for many to create a big piece of terrain, even with a prolonged duration of the contest. Perhaps, we should also allow the participants to make smaller dioramas, or just scenes from the above mentioned categories?

For example just make a small scene with an altar and the priest, sacrificing the hobgoblin, without having to build anything too grand. Or not having to build an entire bakery (as a house) but just a part of it, or one room. What do you think?

That will, perhaps attract more entries.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :hat off

Bloodbeard:

I think it is a great idea! :cheers

However, I suppose it will be a bit challenging for many to create a big piece of terrain, even with a prolonged duration of the contest. Perhaps, we should also allow the participants to make smaller dioramas, or just scenes from the above mentioned categories?

For example just make a small scene with an altar and the priest, sacrificing the hobgoblin, without having to build anything too grand. Or not having to build an entire bakery (as a house) but just a part of it, or one room. What do you think?

That will, perhaps attract more entries.

The_Penguin
All my suggested themes could work with some very small entries as well. Like the fortifications: User A could build a giant fortress and user B could build a simple fence.

Dioramas is something else in my book. But would make an awesome AC theme as well. As far as I'm concerned the point of a diorama is to tell a story, a freeze frame of some action.

The_Penguin:

Yes, I agree. A diorama is indeed a story, and I definitely hope to see such a contest in future. :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to the terrain contest, of course! Can’t wait to start working on an entry!