[Archive] Nexus XXX Century Warriors

Tarrakk Blackhand:

When I was at Trost Hobby Wholesaler, I bought some of these guys.

They are in the Warhammeresque 28MM scale and made by Nexus and distributed by Italeri. I couldn’t find a year on the box or the figures, so I don’t know when they came out.

They are the same size as the Space Marines and each figure, with exception to the leader, is the same 3 pieces - a Guy, a Gun and a Backpack. The leader has his helmet off, is holding a hand gun and has a sword in his other hand. There’s also a sprue with 3 heavy guns on it. The bases are Hexagonal. 5 guys in total.

They’re a simple “Squish Together” mold - Guns “Squish” into a large square on their chests and backpacks go into a circle. They’re molded in silver/grey plastic and the bases are black.

I know they’re “Knock-off Space Marines”, but for the fun of it, I’m going to use them in friendly games with Space Marines. I’m just going to re-base them with GW bases.

What I’m wondering though is if anyone’s seen any other Nexus figures that go with these guys. I can’t find any on E-bait or listed anywhere else. Did they make some enemy aliens like Tyranids or something? Any info would be helpful.

P.S. At the store I put a $10.00 price tag on them and threw them in with my Space Marines as a joke.

Thommy H:

I remember these from when I was younger. I recall being interested in them because I was interested in any kind of miniatures (I was obsessed with the Heroquest board game as a child, and never got bought it for Christmas - I was able to fulfil my childhood fantasies when I was student by finally buying it on ebay). I know they did do alien figures (and I have a vague memory of the word “Havoc” being attached - either for the creatures or the faction). A friend of mine had a box of human soldiers that were green with purple detailing on their uniforms, and looked like Space Marine Scouts, or Necromunda Van Saars.

I doubt any of that information is useful - it’s more like some random nostalgia for me I guess.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Kool Thommy. Do you remember the era?

Also, if anyone has pictures of these figs built or of the aliens, or the box, I’d appreciate it.

Astranagant:

Also, if anyone has pictures of these figs built or of the aliens, or the box, I'd appreciate it.

Tarrakk Blackhand
I actually have a set of these... though EM-4 has at least one of the licenses to them. They are currently being sold as a pack of five as "Space Rangers". They actually look pretty decent, though I feel that the sergeant's weapons are a bit lacking...

Thommy H:

Tarrakk Blackhand
Mid to late 90s. I remember seeing them in the shops when I was a pre-teen (so '95 - '97, say) and my friend had them when we were 13 or 14 ('98 - '99). When my friend had them, I remember thinking "hey, I remember these", even though he had them new, so I guess they were relatively successful - they must have been in shops for a few years.

It is perfectly possibly, btw, that I may not be thinking of the same product. I have a vague feeling the thing I remember came pre-painted, not on sprues. But I definitely remember it being called "Nexus" (or some variation thereof), so maybe it was a different product range from the same intellectual property? Or just a coincidence...

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well, Nexus is the maker, but they may have also used the name as their aliens. Just a thought.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Spent the day cleaning off the seam lines for these guys and getting them ready for paint. When I got home, I found my box of Lord of the Rings round bases and the XXX Century Warriors fit in the slots like they were GW pieces!

I just finished priming the men and their bases with Tremclad Red Oxide and did their guns with Tremclad Flat Black. Also applied the Red Oxide to their backpacks followed by Tremclad Fire Red Gloss. I was going to paint the guys red also, but I’ll wait until the morning.

Too bad that I don’t have my friend’s camera.

By the way, I compaired them with my other 10 Space Marines and they look a little heavier. I might use them as a substitute Deep Strike Terminator team as they stand out compaired to regular SM’s.

Kera foehunter:

what a find mr t those do look like a cool set of figures

wallacer:

They don’t look too bad from the artwork. Probably not a bad alternative depending on the cost.

Astranagant:

They don't look too bad from the artwork.  Probably not a bad alternative depending on the cost.

wallacer
They come to 2.50 pounds including VAT from EM-4, for five figures. This includes one sergeant, and four grunts, as well as three different heavy weapons. The plastic doesn't yield as well as styrene, and requires the use of super glue.

Space Rangers

Heroscapers.net had a few painted examples as Custom figures, IIRC. Alternatively I may find time to paint mine up...

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Got the guys painted, more or less. Still have to finish the guns, but the leader is done. Finished him up in my “Soviet Space Marine” paint scheme. He has a red star on a white background as well. Still have to base the guys.

Sadly, I still don’t have a camera for taking a picture of this.

Loki:

I remember these guys, they where the first models that i brought to paint that was not airfix which lead me on to 40k and then to warhammer and then here, so have a lot to thank these little guys for, i think i still have them in the loft some where :slight_smile:

Thorne:

Direct link to EM4 store (I dotn have permission to post URL yet but its £2.50 for 5 plastic minitures which isnt so bad for any spacemarie clone

Science Fiction / Near Future Plastic Miniatures - eM4 Miniatures – em4miniatures

P.s I think Im going to enslave some of there grenadier style pastic dwarves as CD bighats

Kera foehunter:

are they painted yet mr.t

apocalypstia:

i remember those when they were being sold under the “Space Rangers” lablel. I never ran across any other in the range though and havent seen any in close to a decade. Will keep an eye out in my scourings.

Zaramuskharaz:

Heh… Xanthra’s Federation!

I just bought some saturday’s evening. They were there… awful strange… looking at me. Then I noticed a strange-looking guy that reminded me of my space-marines scouts!

They are somewhat taller and bulkier than SMs. I’m using then as Praetorians to my Adeptus Mechanicus force! Those models ROCK!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well…get ready for my upcoming pictures of my compleated models!:smiley:

Comming soon!

Kera foehunter:

i cool movie would be great

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Do a You-Tube movie with them? It’s possible! :smiley:

Servius:

I really like his samurals… I only wish he had more of them… and different poses… But im getting what he has.