[Archive] No Hobbos?

Lavindil:

I love Grimstonefire’s army book it’s balanced and it looks nice but What happened to our beloved Hobbo’s?

Hashut’s Blessing:

He decided that the direction of his vision of Chaos Dwarfs didn;t include the slaves so much, particulalry on the battlefield.

Grotsnik:

you cant hace CD without hobbos its like wallice without grommit

Lavindil:

I totally understand not wanting to field something like that in an army ( I hated fielding Gobbos in my orc army) but I really liked his army list and was rather disappointed to not see them in the pdf shrug oh well.

Grimstonefire:

@Lavindil

Thanks for reading!

I have done 2 army list pdf’s. I assume you looked at the second (most recent) one as it’s the version without hobbos.

The first version is currently in the sticky in the rules development section and has hobgoblins and bull centaurs.

I feel hobgoblins certainly have a place in the fluff, but not in a new Army book. This puts me in the extreme minority here I believe :wink: They would need a lot more character and some clever rules to be worth including IMO so they are not just a meatshield. As I was revising my list I got to the point where I had one special character and a single HG unit (upgradeable to SG), and I thought what’s the point really? I also wanted to re-jig the list so it relied a lot more on clever moving of CD units and disruptive tactics/ warmachines than relying on the meatshield to counter charge.

So the 2nd version is what I call my ‘crusader version’, without HG or ‘BC’ (but something better replacing them). I’ve actually done some art today to put in my next update of the crusader version (V2.1). Nothing spectacular, but every little helps.

Maul:

I think a closer look at the hobgoblin tribes and their relationship with DOw, and chaos dwarves could really be rewarding. There is not a lot of information there so fluff lovers have few constraints on them.

Lavindil:

I looked up your first army list, Very nice thank you.

I feel hobgoblins certainly have a place in the fluff, but not in a new Army book.  This puts me in the extreme minority here I believe ;)  They would need a lot more character and some clever rules to be worth including IMO so they are not just a meatshield.  

Grimstonefire
I must say that IMO Hobgoblins in the game itself are one of the main differences between the CD and their cousins. it gives them one of the few things that dwarfs lack and that is a cheap expendable unit. thats part of what drew me to CD, however I haven’t seen an army that didn’t use Hobbo’s that was as effective (not to suggest that it isn’t possible just that I’m new to CD). if you have one please let me know i don’t have any hobbo’s for the army I’m building yet and would love to learn how to run the force without our beloved greenskins so that i have that option available to me.

thanks again for the amazing army book :hat off

Hobgoblyn:

Why do Hobgoblins need to be included in the Chaos Dwarf army list anyway? There is more than enough fluff on them to allow them to stand on their own as a mercenary army of their own.

I wrote this army list a while ago:

http://www.aferris.net/HobgoblinArmyList.htm

This a unit list like that you could utilize the Hobgoblins as part of a Chaos Dwarf army list… and a Orc & Goblin army list… and a Cathay army list… and well, anything else you might like!

Grimstonefire:

Why do Hobgoblins need to be included in the Chaos Dwarf army list anyway? There is more than enough fluff on them to allow them to stand on their own as a mercenary army of their own.

Hobgoblyn
I agree. Only problem is that an 'official' hobgoblins only list is probably further away than cathay.

I'm sure it would be possible to use a counts as orcs and goblins army somehow?