[Archive] No more tomb kings

zobo1942:

Looks like the entire tomb kings range is in the last chance to buy section of the gw website.

Also, this: http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2016/2/11/1e06c4ac7d65ff48f4b7065f2894b101_5394.jpg

Admiral:

Thanks for the heads-up. Also, good of GW to give us warning beforehand. Sound business practice.

One thing I looked forward to for years, was updated Tomb Kings core infantry, cavalry and charioteers to the standards of the new Vampire Counts Skeletons. Looks like it won’t happen at all, provided the range isn’t revived sometime in the future.

GW got things right with the Tomb Kings. I hope that Undead Egyptians keep popping up in all manner of fantasy settings in the future. Could something in that vein possibly be planned for Age of Sigmar, or is it just too generic?

Mrowa:

Sad news, espacially for someone who started to collect TK. I’ve already lost interest in GW miniatures after AoS. I would rather go for mantics, AoW or some less-known companys. GW is digging it’s own grave… I think everything they do is to make their range unique enough to cut possibility of proxy their minis.

Pyro Stick:

Urgh this is absolutely gutting. TK was my first army. I have also been looking forward to updated core models so this is me pretty much done with GW, unless Chaos Dwarfs or Tomb Kings come back in some form. I dont even have the cash right now to pick up a final few pieces, but looking at those prices i remember why i havent picked them up already. Decided to just order one last unit of Tomb Guard. Looks like its all selling out pretty fast.

Dînadan:

Only upshot I can see from this is that it might prompt one of their numerous rivals to produce an undead Egyptian range. Think a sequel/spinoff to Frostgrave called Sandgrave would go over well lol.

Pyro Stick:

Only upshot I can see from this is that it might prompt one of their numerous rivals to produce an undead Egyptian range.  Think a sequel/spinoff to Frostgrave called Sandgrave would go over well lol.

Dînadan
If Avatar's of War made a new skeleton unit that would be great. Maybe ill post on the forum and ask. Pretty much every other Egyptian style range out there is awful.

Doombeard:

at least all your models are now considered OOP and go up about ten times in value. I reckon TK will be back one way or another, Settra is mentioned a lot in the AoS fluff

Thommy H:

I think it was inevitable that any range with too many ties to a real-world culture would be discontinued. Lizardmen are an exception, but the Seraphon fluff has no references to Mesoamerican civilisation and I’m sure if they could have replaced everything with an Aztec or Mayan glyph on it they would have… You can’t really separate Tomb Kings from Ancient Egypt though.

Empire and Bretonnia will almost certainly disappear when they create new human factions too.

Zuh-Khinie:

Only upshot I can see from this is that it might prompt one of their numerous rivals to produce an undead Egyptian range.  Think a sequel/spinoff to Frostgrave called Sandgrave would go over well lol.

Dînadan
If Avatar's of War made a new skeleton unit that would be great. Maybe ill post on the forum and ask. Pretty much every other Egyptian style range out there is awful.

Pyro Stick
I've always appreciated the old-school feel of the crocodile games miniatures.
They mix well with 5th ed. Undead etc.

Grimstonefire:

To be honest I’m surprised Empire and Brets haven’t already gone as they have the new human faction already.

But this is sad. I might be tempted to pick up a couple of things, or just see what happens on ebay.

Willmark:

I look at the demise of WFB in the form we know it as pretty much the same vein as when chaos dwarfs online launched in 2007. Now all the factions are really free to do what they want without GW hanging over the heads of everyone.

In other words the canvas is a blank again. Which system, which rules? How do YOU want to do it?

Malorndk:

I seriously hate this… I know scarcity wont hit for years to come, but they force the players to kill their Credit cards, if the want a large quantity of the newer/rarer models. TKs love to theory craft about that horde of 18 Ushabties with Great Bows, but few people bought the models required and they will have a hard time collecting these numbers in used miniatures…

Vex:

It makes me fearful about what could happen to the Slaanesh range in the future. Also I hope those necro knights and sphinx stay in stock a little longer so I can pick them up next week. So much for the "grand alliance"

Now they’re saying Order is next and Bretonnia is on the chopping block, then at the end of the year beastmen will go.

Pyro Stick:

It makes me fearful about what could happen to the Slaanesh range in the future. Also I hope those necro knights and sphinx stay in stock a little longer so I can pick them up next week. So much for the "grand alliance"

Now they're saying Order is next and Bretonnia is on the chopping block, then at the end of the year beastmen will go.

Vex
The Necropolis Knight and sphinx are both £25 at wayland games right now. Tempted to pick up one last unit of skeletons as well since they have them for £15.

Thommy H:

Followers of Slaanesh and Beastmen both appear in the Grand Alliance: Chaos book. Neither of them have been written out of the setting.

cornixt:

It will be interesting to see what the new undead models looks like. Decent zombies and skeletons are easy to buy for far cheaper than GW charges, so they are going to become something weird and unique since that is what GW is going for with their new IP. How much of the old TK and vamp stuff will still be usable in the new undead army is the real question.

Thommy H:

There aren’t any new models coming - the Death book is just warscrolls for the existing Vampire Counts and Nagash stuff. If you want to see it all ahead of time, go to any of the product pages and download the PDF rules: those are pages from the book. It was the same with the Chaos book.

Admiral:

Time for the competition to fill the vacuum, then…

Baggronor:

It was expected I suppose, but actually seeing it is still a sobering sight. I guess the other old races won’t be far behind.

No new models for Seraphon or Death factions is pretty disappointing too. Army books without new minis? Whoever heard of such things :~

Malorndk:

Most of the TKs have already sold out. The stock is apparently small enough to be depleted in a day or two. I hate this with a newfound passion!!!