[Archive] Nurion's Chaos Dwarf! - painting and converting

Nurion:

Hi all!

I allready have a army blog at a Norwegian forum, so i’m gonna start this blog with some of my finished work. Hope you guys like what you see! =) Comments are allways welcome! :slight_smile: And i’m sorry about the quality of some pics, but i don’t have any good camera :frowning:

To start the whole blog i present to you my K’daai Destroyer!

I’ve been alot of people using the Ogre Kingdom modell, and some that used the 40k modell, so i thought to my self “why haven’t anyone used both?”. Here’s the result with some WIP’s as well! The pics were taken before the base was 100% finished, so i’ve added a few details to it (tufts of dead grass, a dead dwarf etc.)

Larendard:

This is…simply gigantic! WOW!

beefcake:

Very cool. Well joined together as well. I love it.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

The model doesn’t look right. It essentially has two seperate spines from the two different models you used. It’s a good attempt though!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Nurion:

I can see what you mean Grimbold, but think of a bull centaur, does it have two different spines?

What’s your suggestion on how to make it look better? =)

Stiglitz:

Many Bull Centaur Conversion have set the Dwarf Body “to low”… they look better, if the upper body is longer…

In this case I have the opposite feeling… I think it would have looked more “naturally” if you have set less of the 40k body… without the abdomen…

don’t know, if it is understandable, what I’m trying to say…

Nevertheless it is a great conversion and just looking awesome. And it is a deamon after all, so what is this “looking naturally” all about?

Looking wrong may be just right for a deamon. :hat off

JMR:

Nice idea Nurion, and it sure does look impressive. I understand what Grimbold says though. I think part of the trick in making a centaur-shaped critter look natural is aligning the torso and lower body in such a way that you can imagine it’s front set of legs in combination with the torso to be just like a regular biped/humanoid shape.

In other words, you have a regular humanoid shape using the torso and front pair of legs, and then there’s the rest of the lower body attached to that.

In this particular case I’d say the torso would have to be positioned lower, and more to the back. The Stonehorn’s shoulder-blades should be the hips of the daemonic torso. It’s always good to look for reference pictures when working on such a project.

Still a cool conversion though and it’s fun to spot that Hobgoblin conversion there :wink:

Zanko:

Very impressiv but like already said the model doesn’t look right!

For my liking is the main “problem” the lower body! This one is much too bulky - a more narrow one should fit better!

The upper torso should be shorter!

But nonetheless great work!

:hashut

Nurion:

Hmmmm, i had to take a look at the model again because that last picture doesn’t seem right. If you notice the angle of the camera it makes the upperbody seem much longer that it realy is. Take a look at theese pictures and you can see the difference!

Your right about the part with the upperbody should be over the hips though. I like to think that the daemon is “breaking out” of the lower body, free at last! =)

Nurion:

Like JMR allready spotted! My hobgoblin conversion! :slight_smile: I found this idea somewhere on CDO, but don’t remember the name of the original poster. I like the way they turned out! :slight_smile:

I’ve got 20 of them build up and painted in three colours + based, but only 4 of them are done. Here’s one of them! =)

CopperPot:

Mold lines dude, otherwise nice model.

moogoodoo:

mate i wish i saw this b4 i made myn useing a 2 leged sole grinder i think people are being a little harsh it looks amazing imo fair play

Grimstonefire:

If I were you I’d put some big armour plates from under the ribs going down to half cover (etc) the pistons.  Also covering the join between the two spine areas.

You might want to take a look at bitz sites for armour parts from the new Chaos Space Marine monster(s) and also I think some of the Dark Eldar vehicle plastics have suitably evil shapes for armour (no model in particular springs to mind though).

If you do go down that route, spray undercoat the armour before attaching, as it would be very hard to paint around armour plates that size if not already undercoated.

Admiral:

Well executed Gnoblar and a good K’daai Destroyer concept! It is decent, nay, great as it is, but its full potential can be reached with further work. Still, I appreciate the way it looks now. It makes me think of a Stonehorn which has undergone an unhealthy Daemonic possession of a Centauric nature, and there is a Chaotic charm about the disturbing anatomy. :wink:

Nurion:

If I were you I'd put some big armour plates from under the ribs going down to half cover (etc) the pistons.  Also covering the join between the two spine areas.

You might want to take a look at bitz sites for armour parts from the new Chaos Space Marine monster(s) and also I think some of the Dark Eldar vehicle plastics have suitably evil shapes for armour (no model in particular springs to mind though).

If you do go down that route, spray undercoat the armour before attaching, as it would be very hard to paint around armour plates that size if not already undercoated.

Grimstonefire
Thanks for great tips! I'll look into the new CSM models :) They weren't out yet when i made this model :)

Nurion:

Didn’t do much painting lately, but for the upcoming national championchip i painted theese guys! 4x Big Hat bull centaurs :slight_smile:
I made them so i can easily take them off their 50x75mm bases and use them as Hobgoblin Khans (untill i can get my hands on the real hobgoblin khan models) =)

Yodrin:

Looks awesome!! :cheers