[Archive] Okkam's Mindrazor

Fallen246:

Quick clarification question really. There was some minor debate about how this spell works in a certain situation (no names will be used), and that situation went as follows:

Wziard in a unit casts the spell, manages to cast it successfully. Then, due to the lore of shadow’s attribute, the wizard then swapped places with a warrior-character.

So, the player who used this strategy then used the leadership value of the character for the unit, as his leadership is what the unit would use for leadership tests.

The two arguments his opponent had were:

- The hero should not be affected by the spell as he was not in the unit at the time of casting (this was dismissed by a majority vote, as the spell’s wording states “models in the target unit” which the hero now was, but other opinions as to whether that was a fair call are welcome).

- The spell states that models in the target unit use their leadership instead of Strenght when rolling to wound with all close combat attacks whilst the spell remains in effect.

The player who cast the spell believed this meant that the entire unit used the leadership of the character as they normally would for leadership tests, but his opponent believed that only the character uses his leadership for his strength value, and the unit uses their own default strength.

We ended up flipping a coin for it, as a majority could not be found, but how do you guys think this would work out?

EDIT: I’m also not sure I put this in the right forum section?

Loki:

I would say the hero would be effected by this spell and us his leadership as his strength.

The unit would use there base leadership as their strength so if it was a unit of CD warriors it would be strength 9 even if they had a hero in the unit, the best bit is you ignore any weapons that you have so if you had great weapons you now ignore them and don�?Tt strike last but strike in order with the higher strength , its a very cool spell :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

The opponent was wrong in all accounts.

The character would be affected by the spell as soon as he joins the units, this is what the rules say about such situations, p 97.

Mindrazor tells us to use the Leadership, it doesn’t say anything about “base” or “profile” Ld, as such you can even use the Ld boost from the general.

Also, Loki the spell only says you can’t use strength bonuses from weapons, it does not say to ignore the weapon(s) all together. As such you would still suffer from the penalties of a great weapon though the benefit would be ruled out. This does however mean you can use stuff like extra handweapons or say a magic weapon granting other benefits in conjunction with the spell, just not S bonuses.

Loki:

Also, Loki the spell only says you can't use strength bonuses from weapons, it does not  say to ignore the weapon(s) all together. As such you would still suffer from the penalties of a great weapon though the benefit would be ruled out. This does however mean you can use stuff like extra handweapons or say a magic weapon granting other benefits in conjunction with the spell, just not S bonuses.

snowblizz
Thats cool then i will have to remember that for when some one casts it next time i play thanks Snowblizz :)

Fallen246:

Well with no further replies I guess that makes this verdict the concensus.

Thankyou :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

Well with no further replies I guess that makes this verdict the concensus.

Thankyou :)

Fallen246
Well, I am hesitant to say it, but the rules are clear...:~

As a further note, the BRB FAQ changed the wording of Mindrazor a bit, from "when rolling to wound" to a more general wording. The reason is so you can also use the S boost to reduce the target's armour save.
Too lazy to think through if it would affect S tests as well.

grupax:

if i’m not mistaken the unit that the sorcerer joins now becomes effected by the spell, :smiley:

if a unit is under the effect of a spell that affects a character, and the character leaves the unit – the spell goes onto the character …

if a character that is under the effect of a spell joins a unit that can affect by the spell, they both become subjected to it for as long as that character is with them.

I think :S

Da Crusha:

that could open up all kinds of sneaky tactics. is that in the FAQ?

snowblizz:

The spell was cast on the unit, not the sorcerer. As such as soon as the sorcerer leaves he no longer is under the effects of this spell.

grupax:

The spell was cast on the unit, not the sorcerer. As such as soon as the sorcerer leaves he no longer is under the effects of this spell.

snowblizz
I don't think that matters in this edition :s, I'll check it tonight.

dancehat:

The target of the spell carry the effect.

If character leaves X unit with Y effect, he cannot ‘steal’ the effect. Similiarly if the effect if cast onto the character the unit may only benefit from it as long as the character is with the unit. He cannot leave the effect behind. Page 97 under ‘spells’.

If the character is with the unit then the unit will own the spell as the unit is the target.

Da Crusha:

so you could probably cast mindrazor on the wizard, your opponent will allow it because who cares if a wizard has S10 it is still only 1 attack, and then steed of shadow him into a unit that is about to get into combat.

Baggronor:

so you could probably cast mindrazor on the wizard, your opponent will allow it because who cares if a wizard has S10 it is still only 1 attack, and then steed of shadow him into a unit that is about to get into combat.
Or he can cast it on his unit and use the Lore's special ability to switch places with a tooled up CD Lord :cheers