[Archive] Old School Computer Games

Swissdictator:

I have an old computer up and running in the other room in my apartment. It’s pre-XP. So I’m running a couple old games on it. TIE Fighter, X-Wing, X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Hasbro Interactive’s Axis And Allies (the one that is simply the computerized version of the board game).

Man, childhood memories. Combine that with playing Sonic, Ghostbuster, and Kid Chameleon on my Sega… I suddenly have a ton of games… and well designed ones.

Still, TIE Fighter stands out. Nothing like hunting down those Rebel Scum and traitors. :hat

Slavelord:

I’m sorry, is this going anywhere? :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

I have an old computer up and running in the other room in my apartment. It's pre-XP. So I'm running a couple old games on it. TIE Fighter, X-Wing, X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Hasbro Interactive's Axis And Allies (the one that is simply the computerized version of the board game).

Man, childhood memories. Combine that with playing Sonic, Ghostbuster, and Kid Chameleon on my Sega... I suddenly have a ton of games... and well designed ones.

Still, TIE Fighter stands out. Nothing like hunting down those Rebel Scum and traitors. :hat

swissdictator
I know how you feel. :)
Those old games are the bomb.
I played a lot of Colonization a few weeks ago on my laptop.

DosBox and some nifty add-ons makes it possible to play old games on XP/Vista computers though for those who just don't have the space for Old Skool computers anymore.

It is interesting how most old games are forced to have content that hook you, modern computer games are in most cases just a "oh look, DirectX version X allows us to abuse your graphics card this much". Maybe one in ten or fifty recent releases actually has a novel idea or at least some interesting add-on to an older idea instead of just "upgraded graphics".

Bassman:

Old games rock! They always bring me back to childhood memories :s

My Sega Genesis rocked (Thunderforce, Arcus Odissey, Y’s, Gaiares…) and I still remember the disappointment of the Sega CD… but it gave me some nice games (Lunar I-II and Silpheed).

Anybody remember PC engine/turbographx?

Rayxamber, Y’s I-II-III-IV, Far East of Eden… so many games…

But over everything the Phantasy Star saga… oooh, I’m getting older and older :smiley:

regards, Bassman

slev:

This is why I like my modded X-Box. It runs Linux and has loads of old-school games on emulation.

As it plays DVDs regeion-free, we use it for the folm festival at the con. We played a bit of Sonic the Hedgehog on Friday night to check the projector focus/sound levels…

cornixt:

It is amazing what great games used to fit into 40kb.

Auretious Taak:

Alex the Kid in Miracle World and Commander Keen, Keen 4 in particular rocked the bizniz, oh and Doom1 and Doom 2 and Wolfenstein as stuff got more advanced! :smiley:

The Flying Beaver:

Civilization 2 FTW!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Whoa… really old games that I remember playing in my early days are “Elite”, “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” and “Civilisation” :slight_smile: Maybe it depended on my age, but I played some of them for years… none of the new games have that long-term fascination anymore.

Merchant:

Well I’m more to the old GTA 1 & 2 (not London - well still a good game, but not my favo kind), and you said Ghostbusters - I can recall that game as a great game too :slight_smile:

Swissdictator:

I also have Civ I, mwehehehe. Alpha Centauri too.

I remember hating Gandhi as he always nuked me… what a jerk. Since then, in the newer Civ games I always take out Gandhi quickly.

They don’t make them like they used too.

Captain Crayon:

I love old games :slight_smile:

I had fallout 1&2 and Brotherhood of steel running on my old laptop.

When the laptop was stolen i was more upset by the loss of my Brotherhood of steel saved game where i was on the 2nd last level :frowning:

Swissdictator:

MY old computer just went flatline… I need to install Windows 98…

and I was 10 campaigns in on TIE Fighter:sad:hashut

furrie:

I love old school games, like duckhunt for the nes

Warlord:

I love old school games, like duckhunt for the nes

furrie
There was a great game I used to rent from the video store for the nes - Guerilla War. Did any of you play it? It was great fun.

Double Dragon was also a great series, though now days its a bit slow and weird...

Warcraft (original) was a great game, though VERY slow.

I was also a big fan of Gabriel Knight and Hero Quest (I am pretty sure it was Hero Quest - or perhaps Kings Quest - it was the third one, and you were in a desert like setting with Lions as the royal family in the city)

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I was also a big fan of Gabriel Knight and Hero Quest (I am pretty sure it was Hero Quest - or perhaps Kings Quest - it was the third one, and you were in a desert like setting with Lions as the royal family in the city)

Warlord
That was Quest for Glory, wasn't it? Great game too! :) The first part was called Hero's Quest until MB sued Sierra because the name was too close to their boardgame.

Merchant:

Warcraft (original) was a great game, though VERY slow.

Warlord
Agree a great game, but very very slow - but i was unable to complete it because my old computer brok down....

two_heads_talking:

I’d like to know what the OP thinks is old school? If you are talking pre 1980, then I’d agree… Otherwise, it’s not old school at all. We have those classics Asteroids, Space Invaders and 280zzzzappppp to thank for the current rage of games. We have Atari to thank for puting those games in our houses. We have IBM to thank for making computers that could be in the home as well. Up to that point, computers took up 1000’s of square footage in monstrous sized basements with massive cooling elements. The modern handheld calculator has more memory than those old warehoused computers…

zorn sabretooth:

The metal gear games were cool… if a little hard

Warlord:

I'd like to know what the OP thinks is old school?  If you are talking pre 1980, then I'd agree..

two_heads_talking
If you were referring to me, I was born in the 1980's....

I think the tone of the post, was 'old' games were ones that didn't so much rely on slight graphic upgrades, but rather great gameplay, storyline and in general softer content.

I realise it was very similar name to the Board Game Heroquest, however it was just another in Sierra's series of Quest Games - what with Police Quest, Space Quest, Kings Quest, etc.