[Archive] Optimal Size for Bull Centaurs?

Willmark:

Tell your thoughts on the best units size for Bull Centurs.

Pyro Stick:

10 is what i use. I feel that they die too easily so i take them in a large unit. Also they do more damage for longer if they are 10 strong. Taking 5 isnt really worth it

Willmark:

I’m thinking about making mine a unit of 8 ranked 4x4.

Uzkul Werit:

If you want them to work well (i.e. not get shot to bits), then I would recommend eight. At least. They simply just don’t have the armour to ride around like Chaos Knights, in tiny numbers and still cut down unit after unit.

Or you could take just five with heavy armour and a Musician. Use them for flanking, getting war machines. That type of thing.

Canix:

6 Minimum 8 prefably 10 optimally ,i love them just for the minis and they are always fun to use rather than another ES

Khan!:

I definitely think 8 is a minimum requirement for a heavy cavalry-type unit, if one wants it to actually be effective in head-to-head combat. Chaos Knights, as Uzkul Werit points out, are the exception (although mine have always fared best in units of 8) but otherwise the unit will get shot up or bogged down. My dark elf army, for example, only has 5 painted cold one knights right now, and to but it bluntly they are not very effective the way I have been using them (so either I need to use them differently or I need a few more). Now, all of this being said, I haven’t actually used bull centaurs at all yet, so it may be that they would be ok in small numbers, but I am doubtful.

@ Willmark: You may want to try a unit ranked 5 in front and three in back. Having the rank of 4 doesn’t get the bonus, and you will have more attacks with 5. That is how I run my slaaneshi chaos knights, and the back three work as ablative armour/unit strength so that even if they get shot I will still have an effective fighting rank. I’m pretty sure this principle carries over to bull centaurs as well.

Uzkul Werit:

But even a few Cold One Knights have decent enough armour save to live a little while. The Thick Skinned bonus (is that what it’s called?) really helps there. Where as five Bull Centaurs are just really pricey infantry.

wallacer:

Well, I use 6 regularly, but only because that is all I own.

6 is actually not enough. I would advise taking more if you can.

Willmark:

Hmmm maybe ten it is then!

metro_gnome:

10… since 7th…

in 6th i only used 8 since there are 8 different models…

and I’d get a rank if i was fleetfooted…

Willmark:

10... since 7th...
in 6th i only used 8 since there are 8 different models...
and I'd get a rank if i was fleetfooted...

metro_gnome
Not so much of an issue for me as I'm making my own from the bull centaur bodies.

Colzey:

Currently i have been trialing 2 units of 5 (one with full cmd and warbanner) in 2250pt games with great success, so no earth shaker! With these i also run a BC BSB and a BC Hero. The trick is to use them as more of a distraction for you opponant and dont get too over excited about charging them in without backup. Before this i ran a unit of 9 full cmd, War Banner with BC Character. Nice outfit, though an expensive unit to be held up by a good opponant or if you fluff attacks.

Cheers,

Matty :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Looks like ten it is, though it is going to be expensive $ wise. I only need the bodies and its $14.00 for a left and right side…So that’s $140.00 yikes! :o

grismund:

though it is going to be expensive $ wise. ...So that's $140.00 yikes! :o

Willmark
I suppose this comment could be in the conversion thread but anyway;
Could you not use some chaos beastmen centigors (spelling?) for the bodies? You could easily green stuff some extra armor onto the bodies and it would be a lot cheaper.

Willmark:

though it is going to be expensive $ wise. ...So that's $140.00 yikes! :o

Willmark
I suppose this comment could be in the conversion thread but anyway;
Could you not use some chaos beastmen centigors (spelling?) for the bodies? You could easily green stuff some extra armor onto the bodies and it would be a lot cheaper.

grismund
One could do that however the feet are all wrong for BCs. The Centigors have clawed feet instead of hooves, So its pony up the dough for thee guys methinks.

grismund:

One could do that however the feet are all wrong for BCs. The Centigors have clawed feet instead of hooves

Willmark
Ahh that was one thing I was worried about. I was going to check but Im at work just now and the website is blocked. haha.

Anyway Ill have a look later. It would save a lot of money if it is possible to convert them. Hopefully it is...

Rootbeer:

what are you planning on basing your centaurs on… $14 is pricey. I used armored empire horses. Im of the opinion that the old bull bodies are too small.

I use a unit of 5, no command, usually slightly on the flank, and take out knights or other fast troops that come in to disrupt my warmachines. Im all in favor of running them 7 wide, so will likely go 6+ hero

Willmark:

what are you planning on basing your centaurs on.. $14 is pricey. I used armored empire horses. Im of the opinion that the old bull bodies are too small.

Rootbeer
While cool, Empire horses are not bull bodies and that unfortunately is the issue I have. I like the centigor idea but that means hacking the feet big-time.

Tallhat:

Whats wrong with the original bull bodies?

- Tallhat

Willmark:

Nothing at all. The only potential negative (as has been stated) is that the BC bodies are from the 4th edition days and are practically the last metal horse/bull/equine type bodies that GW has produced. As a general rule for editions 1-3 metal horses etc tended to be smaller, and certainly smaller then todays models. Couple this with the fact that in general model scale has grown slightly over the years and the BC bodies might be a tad too small for the scale of 7th edition Warhammer regardless.

Bear in mind there are ways around this, example: place them on rocks, that kind of thing.