[Archive] Optimal size of units

Mr Saturday:

I’m planning on running a unit of 30 obsidian guard with great weapons and 30 warriors with great weapons, as well as two block of 20 annihilators with command, so they can double up as a combat unit if needs be. I’m considering two deamoneaters after seeing them perform well in a recent tales of battle game report. What do folks think the optimal size for these units is? I bumped the obsidian guard from 20 to thirty, and it seems 30 is almost a standard size for infantry units these days unless they are super elite.

nitroglysarine:

Just remember (if your really want optimal). To test panic for a unit of 30 (25%) is 8 models. The same as for 28 models, but 28 doesn’t fit that neatly into a base.

I favour (in empire anyway) units of 25, nice and square.

Mr Saturday:

28 wouldn’t work with my absolute devotion to the law of straightness. I plan on the obsidian guard being my anvil unit, so I need them to stay put. I’ll probably stick my bsb in there too.

So, inferno golems. 3, or 6?

Also, the hailfire gun. I’m considering sticking it on a character to pop in with the annihilators. It just seems like a great sniper weapon. has anyone used it?

saurus:

6 Inferno Golems is more effective than 3.

Glimpse the Void:

6 Inferno Golems is more effective than 3.

saurus
I wonder if 2 units of 3 could hit just as hard, offer more flexibility, while casting that lava spell or breath attack twice.

What do you guys consider to be optimal unit size for Annihilators? 15-17 seems about right to me as a balance between maximum strength and economy. Does this depend on how many units your bringing?

I'm curious about the Obsidian guard as well. Am I ridiculous for considering a horde? It could be an absurd amount of killing blow!

How about wolves? What are you guys doing with these units if you use them, and what size do they need to be to fill that role?

nitroglysarine:

Annihilahots I’m considering a unit size of either 18 or 21 (multiples of ranks of three)

Obsidian Guard I’m working towards a unit of 25

HbGb on Wolves, I’m working towards two units of 10. (mainly due to the fact you can buy them in boxes of 10)

Mr Saturday:

I run 20 annihilators, 5x4, so they can second as a combat unit. 2 units of 5 wolves with musician and champion for flanking and redirecting. I’m running a unit of 30 obsidian guard. I love those guys.

@Glimpse: I’m certainly taking 6 inferno golems, I think I’ll have to try two units of three and then try one of six and see how they perform.

Bolg:

I’d go for 40!

I’ve played a few tournaments with my Valina dwarfs and I love the 40 strong hordes of Longbeards and Hammerers (kinda like the obsidian guard) and yes those units are expensive, but they do stick around and if you dont kill them all no point (:

(oh And I did quite well on those tournaments as well)

Mr Saturday:

40 eh? That’s a lot of angry stunties. Hmm. I’m debuting the army at it’s first tourney this weekend, It’ll be a good test of ma list. Now you have me wondering about 40 obsidian guard though…

Da Crusha:

Ive been running a horde of 40 CD’s with great weapons since 8th came around and I love the unit. it goes in every list I make now.

Glimpse the Void:

Now you have me wondering about 40 obsidian guard though...

Mr Saturday
This is one of the elements I'm most excited about.

killing blow

For added insanity, the Amulet of Hashut could give this unit frenzy.

Mr Saturday:

Ive been running a horde of 40 CD's with great weapons since 8th came around and I love the unit. it goes in every list I make now.
Oh yes, great weapons are a must on dwarf units I think. I thought I was going nuts with 30 cds in a unit.

Killing blow is a fearsomely good rule for the obsidian guard. They really are the linchpin unit in the battle-line I think.

Bolg:

Give them the crown of command, so they become stubborn, keep a BSB nearby and that unit has some real staying power…!

Mr Saturday:

Crown of command, Nice idea!

Glimpse the Void:

I’m not so sure about the crown of command. Stubborn is awesome for units that loose combat, which is not what this unit should be doing.

A block of stubborn rabble/gobos inside the general’s leadership bubble and bsb, now that sounds nasty.

Mr Saturday:

I am seriously considering a gigantinormouos (40 - 60) unit of rabble beside the general’s unit.

Glimpse the Void:

I am seriously considering a gigantinormouos (40 - 60) unit of rabble beside the general's unit.

Mr Saturday
It sounds like we are on the same page man! I am definitly thinking this is the way to go. I've yet to play a game as chaos dwarves, but it seems like the thing to do!

Da Crusha:

I am seriously considering a gigantinormouos (40 - 60) unit of rabble beside the general's unit.

Mr Saturday
thats not that big. I run units like that all the time and they get taken out every game. Ive seen skaven slaves units being run in 100 at a tournament before. really nasty bt a nice tar pit thats for sure. since I use the RH list these guys are only 2 pts each. not sure about the indy gt list.

Mr Saturday:

100+, wow. I’m still thinking in terms of 7th ed for unit size. Rabble are 2pts in the Indy GT too. Steadfast using generals ld with a bsb re-roll is nice, for 200 pts for 100, it would be quite the distraction unit. Hmm. Is it worth giving them spears or shields? I think no.

Abecedar:

Yeh, the Hailfire Gun is a good option. I’ve had a reasonably fair success rate with it so far.