[Archive] Orky Technology and The Assault on Black Reach

Xander:

As everyone knows, The Assault On Black Reach comes out next month, and with it a large number of Ork models. As we know the [[BFSP]] set was a boon for us, so I thought we should examine this boxed set as well.

Some sprues:
http://sidestreaker.multiply.com/photos/album/53/Assault_on_Black_Reach_Sprue_Box_Cover_and_other_release#
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145425

Some Reference Pics:

With 20 Orks and 5 Nobz, you easily get a large slave unit that has a unique look. Provided you have some 25 mm square bases and you can swap some guns for shields or other hand weapons, these guys would make a pretty sick unit.

The Deathkoptas could make for some interesting Chaos Dwarfy Tech. Easily usable as Gyrocopters for a Dwarf-List based Chaos Dwarf army. Or perhaps the bits could be used for some diabolical Chaos Dwarf Engine.

The space marines could most likely be easily sold off, leaving you with a cheap bunch of Ork supplies.

Thoughts?

Knight Of Awsome:

The only problem is the things that the orks are equipped with, they would be for a more mechanical army the guns would have to be replaced and rank-in-file would be hell to do…

Over all i don’t think this would be a good kit for us chaos dwarfs and should be left alone to people starting 40k…

My thoughts:cheers

Obsidian:

Hmm, maybe some bitz here and there but overall I don’t think it’s worth getting it for just that. (I don’t play 40K no more)

Ghrask Dragh:

A little bit of converting and these guys are perfect for Earthshaker lackies :slight_smile: cool spot Xander!

I like the death-koptas too, GW have some great stuff going on!! :hat off

Hashut’s Blessing:

Although I think it’s cool and there are opportunities, unless you collect 40K (so you can give othe rmodels the removed 40K items), it seems a little overpriced for anything I’d like to do. I agree that the two grots carrying the ammo crates would be cool crew and the deff koptas could possibly be cannibalised to obtain parts for daemon engines and steam-driven engines, as well as a large number of slaves, the work required for models that can be easily obtained (I.E. orcs) seems a little too much, if we’re comparing it to the BfSP boxset. If you can trade and/or sell of the pieces you don’t need or remove (including the rulebook, the campaign book, possibly the dice/templates/measuring stickes etc), then it may be worthwhile.

But it seems there will be a lot of filing (personally, I have no file, so a big no for me), a lot of sawing (for simple hand swaps

Geckilian:

Just to point out, those grots with the ammo crates are for the second wave of Ork releases, they’re not in that intro box.

Hashut’s Blessing:

They’re not in that box? Cheers for the heads up, Geckilian. It probably isn;t a deciding factor, but it definitely has been added to a “lack of reasons to buy this box” sort of list-thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Kera foehunter:

wow !!!it time to rade some orc if the have treasure boxes like that

i got to get a death Kopta

wallacer:

Looking at the sprues it wouldn’t take a lot of effort to convert the Orcs into their fantasy counterparts (virtually none, in fact).

Just snip off the bolt pistols and glue some shields on and you’re probably done.

It might be worth a buy for any CD player who also plays 40k (particularly marines).

zagor66:

Ill just buy this simply for the fact that its amazing and im already a marine collector interested in collecting orks, if you want to try the conversion 2 free minatures from the boxed set will be in the next WD.

Hashut’s Blessing:

If I remember rightly, which I do he he he, those models are a terminator and an ork nob. I’m going to get it purely for those models (dunno what I’ll do with the nob, but the terminator shall become a Chaos terminator). To be fair, I hadn’t looked at the sprues to see how easy the conversions would be, wallacer.

Obsidian:

Also found this thing coming out soon. Might use the tracks on one of the warmachines I’m working on and the barrel with some converting could work for an Earthshaker barrel?

Hashut’s Blessing:

I dislike the strange, four-rocket looking thing on the techmarine and think he should have something for “fine-tuning” as well. As for that mobile turret, I think it looks stupid, but the parts can be well used, e.g. the tracks and the barrel would look okay slung under a valkyrie or something…

Knight Of Awsome:

I dislike the strange, four-rocket looking thing on the techmarine and think he should have something for "fine-tuning" as well. As for that mobile turret, I think it looks stupid, but the parts can be well used, e.g. the tracks and the barrel would look okay slung under a valkyrie or something...

Hashut's Blessing
Are you upset with the machine sprits power!! NO one hates the machine spirt!!!

Thread locked

Wow this sucks... I cant lock threads...

Ontopic: Looking at it now i think we could convert somthing from it, ever seen a Chaos Dwarf with a power claw?