[Archive] Pegasus => Lammasu WIP

AGPO:

I've always thought that the Lammasu should be smaller, and the actual Assyrian Lammasu statues had feathered wings. This is a fantastic conversion!

The Flying Beaver
Is there a historical mythilogical creature called the Lammassu then? Can anyone inform me more on this?

Servius:

yes they are… there is very little backstory on the Lammasu as most of the Assyrian and Babylonian Histories are seriously fragmented… but there are illistrations of them on walls on the Ishtar Gate as well as statues from digs in the middle east in many western museums.

It is believed that they were used to immortalize important Kings and Priest of the Society. They are also believed to be seen as great sources of Wisdom and Knowledge.

There is also a Mythical Being know as a Surrush or Dragon of Marduk. which is basically a wingless dragon. its features include a scaly body, serpent’s head, viper’s horns, front feet of a feline, hind feet of a bird, and a scorpion’s tail

Xander:

[wikipedia]Lammasu[/wikipedia] hehe! See also [wikipedia]Cherub[/wikipedia].

Wosamog:

[attachment=133]

[attachment=134]

[attachment=135]

[attachment=136]

Hello again everyone!��I can’t believe it - I found a suitable bit to make the sorceror’s hat.��It is a cut down missle from a lego-style set I saw going cheap in our local supermarket.��The back of the missile needed filling, but at least that was an easy job :slight_smile:

The hat is as tall as it’s wearer, which is as far as I could push the big hat “envelope”.��Any bigger would have been utterly ridiculous, this size is only moderately rediculous :slight_smile:

The gems on the hat and vambrace are cut from shield devices from the High Elf spearmen regiment.��Thought they would add a bit of bling, and maybe a chance to add some different colours to the paint job later, without overwhelming the model.��Also, I felt that the Lammasu itself could use a little tarting up, so it received some chained skulls from the Dark Elf boxed set, and two spikes on the forelimbs courtesy of the Skaven “swastika” style shield boss.

Now, it’s off to the painting table for these chaps to await that far-off day in October (after Golden Demon and Golden Hat), when I will get around to painting them.��Hope you like the finished model!

By the way, I haven’t forsaken my GH#3 entry.��My test model (a Hobgoblin archer) has been completed.��I’ll pop it in a separate post so you can have a look and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Wos

Xander:

Very nicely done Wosamog! Amazing sculpting work. :slight_smile:

Wosamog:

Why, thank you kindly Mr X. I’m really pleased with this conversion, as this is the first time I’ve attempted anything as ambitious as this. Green stuff was previously only used by me for gap filling, or making hair/fur on conversions. But building a CD army kind of forces you to raise you game in terms of sculpting/converting, and I’m loving every minute of it!

Rootbeer:

Lovely lamasu, nice work, but you could do better with the cape, its too static.

Xander:

Why, thank you kindly Mr X. I'm really pleased with this conversion, as this is the first time I've attempted anything as ambitious as this. Green stuff was previously only used by me for gap filling, or making hair/fur on conversions. But building a CD army kind of forces you to raise you game in terms of sculpting/converting, and I'm loving every minute of it!

Wosamog
Prior to my Chaos Dwarfs my limitations with green stuff were as yours were. Chaos Dwarfs have really helped to push my skills! Good to hear the same is working for you.

bandnerd1892:

Wow, absolutely beautiful work!! If I may offer one small critique though, why not sculpt the cape yourself? It would give you a place to add much more detail and character into the model. Other than that I really can’t find anything on the model I don’t like. I can’t wait to see it painted, are you sure that you can’t fit it in before you start your GH #3 entry? Please?!?!

nerd

clam:

A very fine Lammasu you got there! Wosamog - that is truely amazing:hat off

Wosamog:

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

You know, looking at the cloak now, I do agree with you, Rootbeer and Bandnerd.��It does look a bit static, and I think if I were to do this again, I would try to make a new cape, or maybe heat up and bend the corners of that plastic one.��Still, you live and learn :slight_smile:

But there are advantages to the Gutter Runner cape that I used.��It was a perfect fit for the Night Goblin torso, and by brushing a little plastic glue along the inside at the hem of the cape, I was able to attach it to the rear end of the mount, making it a lot less fragile for use on the gaming table (in fact, I’ve used a similar technique on several areas, for example, the spell book is glued to the left shoulder pad, and the corner of the collar). Maybe I could go back later and have a go at sculpting on an additional fold or two at either side of the cloak to add some movement, whilst retaining the strength of the original cape.

By the way Bandnerd, I’m definitely going to be painting the GH#3 and GD entries first, as I am scared of missing the deadlines for entering if I do anything else, but that doesn’t mean that this may not get finished ahead of schedule.��Having spent so long building this fella, I want to take my time, and do as good a job as possible of painting this chap :hat

Cheers,

Wos

AGPO:

Wow, truly awesome. I have to agree that CDs are the army if you want to improve your sculpting. Once you gain confidence on hair, beards and scale mail you are more willing to experenment. Lets not forget the influence of some of the great guides/advice provided by CDO users though

cornixt:

Is there a historical mythilogical creature called the Lammassu then? Can anyone inform me more on this?

AGPO
There are a few impressive statues in the British Museum. Silly me forgot to take my camera the three times I went and I no longer live an hour away from it. Cool museum in general.

Kyte:

Puff, that’s a nice conversion! Makes me want a lamma.

Thanks

- Kyte

AGPO:

Puff, that's a nice conversion! Makes me want a lamma.

Kyte
I will certainly include one, until now I was gonna use the manticore, but I,ll either steal this or use the KofB hippogriff

Hammerhand:

Wow! :hat off I want to have a go at that now, but I’ve got so much other stuff on!! It’s on my list!

Knight Of Awsome:

B-E-U-T-full

makes me want to make one myself

Canix:

Thats a first class piece of modelling there look forward to seeing it painted.Great stuff very encouraging the hats great i used diy sealent noozle on my sorc ,bighats for bigheads:hat

Kera foehunter:

OMG * bang Kera chinn hits the table* that is so cool the idea and the great green stuff.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

How could I miss this blog??

That’s a wonderful sculpt and a really characterful sorceror. Aside from the fact that a classical Lammasu would have to be a winged lion with human head instead of a mutated pegasus, this pretty much captures what I imagine the next generation Lammasu should look like. My hat goes off to you! :hat off