[Archive] Perhaps the most expensive GW product to date (that I know of)

Swissdictator:

Beware, normal Stunies are behind the link!

Viskar Zhragoth:

Hate to say it swiss, but you are a bit off. The original Thunderhawk, the metal one in the collectors box (like the one I have sitting 20 feet away:cheers) was 750-800 depending on when you bought it (due to exchange rates). GW Mail order also once had a full Space Marine Battle Company. I think it sold for $600 or $650?  

Of course the record for a mini sale as far as I know (non-historical, ie made after 1970…and non-painted) was a little over $2,000 for a classic Chicken Dragon. Unfortunately it was not me…:mad

EDit: Sorry forgot, Malekith of foot model (single foot) has gone for $1,800, though I think the normal price is more like $1,000-$1,200.

And though I don’t think I’ve ever seen them sell, I know there were unreleased war machines made for the adeptus mechanicus boys. the crew were released as part of the skulls program…the machines were never released.

I’ve also seen one of those metal thunderhawks sell for $1,800 painted. With LED landing and flying lights…

Hashut’s Blessing:

First off: the link only takes me to the generic GW opening website page, where ya have to choose your country.

Secondly: Are you talking about them being sold directly from GW?

Viskar Zhragoth:

Wierd link worked perfectly for me…but he is talking about the large army Dwarf

defender set (goes fro $515 US.)

Ghrask Dragh:

I can’t believe the new Chaos Spearhead is £155 :o

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Well the Tau Manta was £800 but that is forge world

snowblizz:

Hate to say it swiss, but you are a bit off. The original Thunderhawk, the metal one in the collectors box (like the one I have sitting 20 feet away:cheers) was 750-800 depending on when you bought it (due to exchange rates). GW Mail order also once had a full Space Marine Battle Company. I think it sold for $600 or $650?  

Viskar Zhragoth
$450 from GW online currently.
Though all of those are "conglomerate products", if they thought it would sell they could just throw 3 or 4 such together for a Super-[insert army]-deal.
EDit: Sorry forgot, Malekith of foot model (single foot) has gone for $1,800, though I think the normal price is more like $1,000-$1,200.

Viskar Zhragoth
Malekith on foot :o ?

Thommy H:

First off: the link only takes me to the generic GW opening website page, where ya have to choose your country.

Hashut's Blessing
Select your country and it'll take you to the relevant page. It's just a Dwarf army for £310. Not sure what's so amazing about it - it's not like it's more than you'd pay for that amount of figures normally. It's just a whole army you can order at once.

Slavelord:

For what you get, VC’s Blood Knights get my vote. For 5 models, you have to pay $150 australian. Thanks to the rise in the price of nickel (apparently), the prices have gone up $30…

Grimstonefire:

By my counting that’s a saving of £36 on the individual components.  Which is good if you don’t want them second hand, but is a rip off on such a large expense.  IMO that should be more like £275.

That’s the problem with Dwarfs though, they’re the most expensive army because of the metal cost.  So you’re being hit even more now they’ve hiked up the cost.

£51 for a unit of poorly sculpted hammerers is truly disgusting.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Malekith on foot :o ?

snowblizz
Yes

don't know much about it but it's super rare but looks terrible

from what i've seen the legs are just odd looking and the top half is the same modal as the old one

I could of made a better one,yes me!

Viskar Zhragoth:

Though all of those are "conglomerate products", if they thought it would sell they could just throw 3 or 4 such together for a Super-
Agreed, though his example was also a conglomerate, the thunderhawk was not, and I guess I forgot Forge World...I was thinking just GW (and admitedly metal and plastics not resin.
Malekith on foot Shock ?
Yep, unreleased but a few got out years ago....there are a ton of unreleased models that seem to leak out through GW employees. The hardest to get a hold of I think were Malekith on Foot, the Adeptus War Machines, and a few test models sculptors made as "applications".

They are *Very* limited models, though if you look at Malekith, I think you can see why he was not released.  I liked the DE sorcerer better (he was made for the war hydra I believe.) [attachment=878][attachment=879][attachment=880]

snowblizz:

Though all of those are "conglomerate products", if they thought it would sell they could just throw 3 or 4 such together for a Super-
Agreed, though his example was also a conglomerate, the thunderhawk was not, and I guess I forgot Forge World...I was thinking just GW (and admitedly metal and plastics not resin.

Viskar Zhragoth
The Thunderhawk would get my vote as the single most expensive piece to date, outside Forge World. I guess it depends on how you draw the line, Forge World IS GW after all. And the only way they will do large models nowadays.
Malekith on foot Shock ?
Yep, unreleased but a few got out years ago....there are a ton of unreleased models that seem to leak out through GW employees. The hardest to get a hold of I think were Malekith on Foot, the Adeptus War Machines, and a few test models sculptors made as "applications".

They are *Very* limited models, though if you look at Malekith, I think you can see why he was not released.  I liked the DE sorcerer better (he was made for the war hydra I believe.)

Viskar Zhragoth
Yeah, there are all kinds. Hadn't heard about the foot Malekith, though it makes sense since he's got a monster mount. A friend of mine was tempted by a dwarf on a pony (a test piece), but even he realised £120+ was a bit too much for a more or less useless model. There's no way I'd put that much cash on some rare model. It is just silly.

Viskar Zhragoth:

Yeah, there are all kinds. Hadn't heard about the foot Malekith, though it makes sense since he's got a monster mount. A friend of mine was tempted by a dwarf on a pony (a test piece), but even he realised £120+ was a bit too much for a more or less useless model. There's no way I'd put that much cash on some rare model. It is just silly.
"Uhm, yeah. way too much money," Viskar says as he looks away guiltily.

Though most of mine weren't purchased expensively. I just got them.
The Thunderhawk would get my vote as the single most expensive piece to date, outside Forge World. I guess it depends on how you draw the line, Forge World IS GW after all. And the only way they will do large models nowadays.
True. And yes FW IS GW....but I was thinking about "mainline stuff" when I read your OP. Actually, I love a lot of the FW stuff, especially the Chaos War Mammoth. But I'm sure that FW will put out some models that will be way more than the thunderhawk before too long.

snowblizz:

True. And yes FW IS GW....but I was thinking about "mainline stuff" when I read your OP. Actually, I love a lot of the FW stuff, especially the Chaos War Mammoth. But I'm sure that FW will put out some models that will be way more than the thunderhawk before too long.

Viskar Zhragoth
I actually think they have. The 550£ Reaver Titan should be more expensive? The Imperial Fortress Wall is 625£ and finally the Tau Manta is a cheap 895£.

EDIT: And come to think of it, the metal Thunderhawk hardly classify as mainline stuff though?

Viskar Zhragoth:

No you are probably right…not mainline stuff…but I remember seeing the ones they made for the display piece (ultramarine company…does anyone know if they still have that on display at Warhammer World). Then we all got excited about it coming out and being able to buy it…

And I admit…I still carry one of my extra keys on my regular keychain as a good luck charm.

Servius:

On the Malekith on Foot model officially is not a GW miniature… The designer/sculptor of much of the last Dark elf Line… the name of the sculptor Chris Fitzpatrick. anyway he was fired for unknown reasons before completing much of his intended designs. He had finished the green for the Malekith on foot which was supposed to release with the dragon but as he was fired he simply never turned it in… years later he founded with some friends a company names crocodile games (Wargods of Aeqyptus) and got the green molded and poured… I believe he made 5, He gave 2 away to friends, kept one, and 2 others were purchased from him. (very high I may add). GW caught wise of it and sued him. as he was able to say that since the GW Malekith on Dragon was his design that the on foot one was his IP as well as GW’s… GW ended in settling the case, with an unknown settlement agreement.

I remember reading this on the designers personal website many years back… and cant seem to find it now… there was a link on the Crocodile Website then.

I have seen one of the miniatures in person (02 Chicago GT) Someone was using it as a Black guard Champion LOL… Looked pretty good… it is a Large model though.

Kera foehunter:

i thought 50.00 for a hell canon was high

Bassman:

Hello,

being a former DE player I love Chris Fitzpatrick work. It’s a shame he was fired.

Here is a link to Crocodile website, directly to his masterpiece ever… the rubber duck, not the lady :smiley:

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/index_details.asp?CatID=35&SubID=54&Page=1

On-topic: I suppose FW manta should be one of the most expensive models.

Kera foehunter:

15.95 is a lot for such a tiny duck !! but they put a lot of effort in the bace to display the duck ha ha!!!