[Archive] Photo Resizing Help needed

CopperPot:

So I’m using photobucket I can resize photos in my albums easily enough but when it comes to insert image (copy and paste) the picture remains the original size it was before so the pictures are massive how do I get round this so pics are a nice size for my blog.

Blue in VT:

If you have just made the changes recently it may take awhile for the servers on Photobucket to replace the image you are trying to resize in your album…even though it looks right in Photobucket it will still appear wrong outside of that site. Give it some time and try again. Or edit its size on your computer and upload a new smaller copy.

Cheers,

Blue

Pyro Stick:

you can also post them as thumbnails and people can click on them to see them full size in a new tab. Just replace [ img] with

Nicodemus:

Alternatively you can use the img tags when you go to link them here on the site (or other forums).  For example:

http://chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/images/4/44/MM90_1a.JPG
is linked with:

and looks like:
http://chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/images/4/44/MM90_1a.JPG
can be linked and resized with the height and width tags thusly:

and looks like:

That example is a 50% reduction. Of course you can put in any dimensions, but stick no nice integer multiples to avoid distortion problems. It behooves one to remember that always uploading very large images only to then resize them to a smaller scale is wasteful use of bandwidth for yourself, anyone else viewing the image, and the hosting company. None of these may be a concern, but certainly one’s own bandwidth may be a consideration from time to time.

~N

NoisyAssassin:

If you have just made the changes recently it may take awhile for the servers on Photobucket to replace the image you are trying to resize in your album...even though it looks right in Photobucket it will still appear wrong outside of that site.  Give it some time and try again.  Or edit its size on your computer and upload a new smaller copy.

Cheers,

Blue

Blue in VT
I had the same problems. Sometimes it would take days for things to actually resize. So I just stopped doing my resizing there and went back to doing it on my computer.

CopperPot:

Starting to annoy me now I’ve been playing about with this pic I resized ages ago its just come through this size after about ten attempts photobucket seems really buggy to me crashing all the time thanks for the help.:cheers

CopperPot:

Just out of interest what program are you using to resize photos on your computer thats to everyone who commented on this post:cheers

Nicodemus:

I’ve used Photoshop religously for the past 10+ years, currently I’m using Photoshop CS4.

cornixt:

I had the same problems. Sometimes it would take days for things to actually resize. So I just stopped doing my resizing there and went back to doing it on my computer.

NoisyAssassin
It's probably not photobucket but is more likely the cache on your browser. Use a different browser (or even another computer) to make sure since clearing the cache on a browser can be a bit flakey sometimes.

CopperPot:

I've used Photoshop religously for the past 10+ years, currently I'm using Photoshop CS4.

Nicodemus

Pyro Stick:

I've used Photoshop religously for the past 10+ years, currently I'm using Photoshop CS4.

Nicodemus
Why is it not possiable to upload photos straight from my desktop like it is with uploading avatar pictures so I dont need photobucket or some other online photo site.

CopperPot
You can post them as an Attachment. When you post a reply/new thread theres an Attachment button under the text box. Theres a limit to how many you can post that way though. Imagine how much space it would take up for CDO to host every picture in everyones blog

CopperPot:

Cant believe I didn’t see that thanks Pyro.

Nicodemus:

Cant believe I didn't see that thanks Pyro.

CopperPot
Heh, yes, thanks for fielding that one Pyro! Cheers!

NoisyAssassin:

Just out of interest what program are you using to resize photos on your computer thats to everyone who commented on this post:cheers

CopperPot
I just use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Default program that came with the computer, works well enough for my purposes.

Blue in VT:

GIMP is a great free picture

Editor as well. Not quite as good as photoshop but fairly close and you can’t beat the price.

Blue

Bolg:

I have flickrrr, there is much wrong with flickr(mainly you only see the last 200 pics you uploaded, your links dont get deleted but you cant view them in your ‘bucket’ any more.)

But the thing I love about flickr is you upload a hi-ress pic and than you can link to a smaller lighter version very very easy. I have photoshop but with flickr I dont really need it.

Oh and the copyright of the picc stays with you, that should be a pro too (: