[Archive] Pistol Champ

Nostromo:

So if I give the champ in my Fireglaive Infernal Guard unit a pistol(or a naphtha bomb), then the unit can fire on a stand and shoot at short range, even if he has a fireglaive, right?

RTMaitreya:

yes. the unit waits until all models are in range.

MLP:

Only With the Naptha bomb will this work as It’s range is 6"(under half of Fireglaive) with the pistol the unit wll fire at 12" which is still long range for Fireglaives.

Thommy H:

Yeah. I just had to spend about five minutes going over the Stand and Shoot rules to figure out how different ranges interacted, but the upshot is that if there’s a pistol in the unit, you resolve the shot as if it happened at a range of 12" (so still long range for Fireglaives, since they have 18" range) and at 6" if the champion has a naptha bomb (which would indeed be short range, so no hit penalty).

Hashut’s Blessing:

as above - pistol doesn’t make it short range, naptha bomb does. The advantage a pistol has is that it won’t hurt you AND gives you +1A (instead of +1S).

MLP:

as above - pistol doesn't make it short range, naptha bomb does. The advantage a pistol has is that it won't hurt you AND gives you +1A (instead of +1S).

Hashut's Blessing
I think you need a brace of pistols for the extra attack. A pistol on its own does very little to a fireglaive unit. The only difference being it can always shoot at charging unit no matter how close.

Thommy H:

A pistol counts as an additional hand weapon, so he gets +1 A.

That’s assuming the unit doesn’t take great weapons (or indeed Fireglaives, since they count as halberds), in which case he’d have to use that because the whole unit has to use the same weapon and only characters can chose which special weapon to use at the start of combat. Since the unit must use their great weapons/Fireglaives, he’s locked into their choice.

I’m just finding this stuff out myself, btw…

Hashut’s Blessing:

As said, a pistol is an additional hand weapon. A brace of pistols gives you the Multiple Shots x 2 special rule for the ranged attack.

Actually, Thommy H, the Fireglaive doesn’t count as a Halberd, it just happens to work like one :wink: That being said, it is still a special weapon and takes precedence over a shield. As you say and I forgot (but always play that way anyhow), the unit has to use the same weapons. However, I assume that if there are no special combat weapons and he has the pistol, he has to use the pistol instead of a shield (unlike the other guys) because special weapons always take precedence.

Thommy H:

Yes, he would have to use the pistol as an additional hand weapon rather than use his shield. But if the unit has great weapons they all have to use them. It’s confusing - he arbitrarily either fights the same as his unit or not depending on the combination of equipment!

Nostromo:

Thanks a lot guys- I was thinking a pistol was 8 inches for some reason. So Naptha it is! Too bad the pistol figure is so cool…

Special weapons I need to re-read as I have not played 8th yet.

This new book and some of these great FW models have got me back into Fantasy again-

This forum helps as well!

ChungEssence:

What about if a charge is declared from within the other units movement range. Ie, Ogres charge from 5 inches away. Normally you’d get no stand and shoot reaction per the rules. Does Naptha/Pistol enable you to Stand and Shoot in this case?

Thommy H:

Nope.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

MLP:

What about if a charge is declared from within the other units movement range. Ie, Ogres charge from 5 inches away. Normally you'd get no stand and shoot reaction per the rules. Does Naptha/Pistol enable you to Stand and Shoot in this case?

ChungEssence
Quick to fire weapons Like the pistol can always be used to stand and shoot no matter how close the enemy is.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Quick to fire weapons are specifically for a situation where someone is charging from within their charge distance. I’d have to double check, but fairly crtain pistols have that rule and that Naptha Bombs count as thrown weapons (which have that rule).

Thommy H:

The pistol itself can stand and shoot, yeah, but it won’t affect the Fireglaives.

ChungEssence:

Cheers, the pistol champ does look very cool