[Archive] Planning Stage of a New Army: Mixing Modelling Styles

Skellan:

Hello,

I am just at the planning stages still, and I have been looking at the options for CD figures.��I think I understand the three main looks, and if not, please correct me.

I’ve seen the Italian GW site, with a complete listing for how to make a complete “big hat” :hat CD army using conversions.��Everything I need is available from GW Direct here in Canada.

I looked up the old “helmets” (that is the term for the 3rd edition mini-marauder CD, right?) and looked at blorks to get an idea of a more rivetted together industrial army.

Finally, I have seen the new Hellcanon “mask” :mask CD, and some of the beautiful conversions inspired by this line.

I like some things about each of them, but I am having trouble coming up with a coherent idea for a “look” to my army.��

The :hat screams “sorcerer” at me.��I was leaning towards picking up a set of Bloodbowl CD and giving them staves and sprue bits from the new Empire Wizard sprue that I converted to Necromancers for Nemesis Crown.��Conversely, I can’t picture great axes or warriors with the tall hats, it would get in the way of brandishing weapons overhead. :slight_smile:

My son had the three attached fellows arrive with a lot of dwarves he purchased online.��I think they would make good Chaos dwarf Lords/Heroes, so I was thinking of stealing them.��I was wondering if anyone recognized them.��I apologise for the blurriness, I am new to photographing miniatures. Any tips on that front, other than purchasing a better camera, would be appreciated as well.

[attachment=117]

[attachment=119]

[attachment=120]

For the warriors and blunderbusses (or is it blunderbussers?), I like the “helmets” look.��I was leaning towards plates rivetted together in a slightly more blorky look than the originals, but definitely plates of heavy, rivetted “boiler” armour.��I was going to do a first cut with BFSP warriors, thunderers and miners, as whilst I have done conversions in the past, I have never done anything on this scale. :0

I was thinking of getting the new :mask Hellcanon crew as my CD artillery crewman, and the Ork Lobba as an Earthshaker.��The grots from the Lobba would get promoted to hobgoblins for bolt thrower crew.

My question is, how will the styles look together?��I have never seen the “big hat” models in person, are they scaled such that I can sit them next to a Skull Pass or Hellcanon mini without them looking mismatched?��

I am not sure which look would be best for Bull Centaurs, and Lammasu, as both have a CD head, therefore it must be masked, helmetted or hatted.��The :hat BC are still available Direct here, so I could just go with them, but that seems too easy (if expensive :0 ).

Finally, has anyone tracked down the characteristics on any special characters, other than Rykarth?��Astragoth would be an interesting conversion challenge, and if I had some sort of profile I would be able to at least talk my family into letting play him. :slight_smile:

:hashut Praise Hashut! :hashut

hal:

I’ve never seen those minis before but they do look interesting. The only problem with using non-citadel miniatures is that you can’t use them in tournaments.

I would steer clear of the lamassu as it is terrible in the game.

Skellan:

I was sort of hoping they were Citadel miniatures…just ones I had never heard of before…maybe I will run them by the local GW crew and see if they recognize them before I put too much effort in. :slight_smile:

I need a Lamass though.��I have two wraiths for my VC army, one mounted, one not, and I have never used either.��I need completeness…��

:hat off Thanks

wallacer:

The most recently released Chaos Dwarf figures by GW were the Hellcannon crew. Since they have masks it seems reasonable to conclude that that is the “look” that GW are going for now with Chaos Dwarfs.

There has been a rumour going round for a while now that CD will be re-released in 2009, so if you’re planning on buying some of those new figures and have them fit in with the stuff you convert between now and then, then perhaps masks may be the look you ought to go for.

catbarf:

The most recently released Chaos Dwarf figures by GW were the Hellcannon crew. Since they have masks it seems reasonable to conclude that that is the "look" that GW are going for now with Chaos Dwarfs.
Not really. The war machine crews of all races look different from basic troopers. Heck, the Death Rocket crew had masks- true, they had the hats, but I think the lack of hats was to keep the Hellcannon crew in line with the Chaos army.

The new CDs will be released Spring 2009 at the earliest, Summer 2010 at the latest.

Xander:

However, more than just Hellcannon crew are described as having masks according to [[Grudge Bearer]].

Thommy H:

My question is, how will the styles look together? I have never seen the "big hat" models in person, are they scaled such that I can sit them next to a Skull Pass or Hellcanon mini without them looking mismatched?
The old plastic warriors are noticeably larger than most modern dwarf-sized figures. My blunderbusses (made from thunderers) look tiny next to them, so bear that in mind if you're mixing and matching.

Personally, I feel that there's nothing wrong with a mix of styles in an army - it's a bit silly to expect players to revamp their entire force when a new range of miniatures comes out anyway, so a smattering of old models usually appears in everyone's army.

I imagine the big hats will be retained in some fashion or other in a future Chaos Dwarf release, since the Hellcannon crew were obviously designed to fit the aesthetic of a Hordes of Chaos army to a certain extent while still being obviously Chaos Dwarfs (hence the curly beards). There's no reason to keep one facet of their imagery and drop another and new versions of armies don't just throw out the whole look of the older figures, just update and refine it usually.

Hammerhand:

I have just started putting a CD army together. To start off with, I was just going to use the big-hat models in their entirety until I joined CDO and seen some of the conversions on here. Now I’m stuck with the following points:

I love the Big hats, but they are a little ‘cartoony’ as this was the GW style at the time (GW O&Gs just looked funny, now they look a bit menacing)

I Love the masks, as in Xanders conversion video, but this is going to take AGES!

I’m not the most confident with greenstuff either which has restricted my choice a bit, but what I intend to do is quite simply BOTH! I will get a unit of big hats from ebay, or where ever, and when they are done, convert a unit of masks, as a kind of then and now. I will still be able to use both units.

Hope this helps.

Xander:

Converting warriors gets faster and faster in my experience. Once you perfect how much GS you need in each region, it really becomes a smooth business.

As for mixing styles, look at [[Snotling]]'s work. Some of his characters have Hats, many have masks, some look like Helms. So I think mixing can work very well.

Skellan:

Thanks for all of the input.��:hat off

I will blaze on forward and posts some pics as soon as I have something to show for my efforts… :~

AGPO:

I use hats for some characters, then masks and helms which are pretty interchangable for the core troops. As with any army make sure you have some unifying features though

Dracomancer:

I need a Lamass though.��I have two wraiths for my VC army, one mounted, one not, and I have never used either.��I need completeness...��

:hat off��Thanks

Skellan
One of the new HE releases coming out is a chariot that has lion steeds as well as horses, the lion bodies would work well for the Lamassu, and for the head, you could either sculpt a new one, use the old one, or use a suitable alternative (I think that one of the bloodthirster heads (the one-piece head, not the one with seperate horns) would look effective).
Hope this helps with ideas, although the Lamassu isn't all that, i'm tempted to convert one anyway, just for the hell of it :cheers.

AGPO:

One of the new HE releases coming out is a chariot that has lion steeds as well as horses, the lion bodies would work well for the Lamassu, and for the head, you could either sculpt a new one, use the old one, or use a suitable alternative (I think that one of the bloodthirster heads (the one-piece head, not the one with seperate horns) would look effective).
Hope this helps with ideas, although the Lamassu isn't all that, i'm tempted to convert one anyway, just for the hell of it
Where did you see this!?!?!? I'd love to see any pics/links you have

Thommy H:

AGPO:

That’s awesome!! Is it going to be a special character? metal or plastic? I may have to get this and convert it for my chaos army, what site did this come from, is there any more?

Thommy H:

I believe it’s just a normal entry in the army list. I saw the picture on Warseer originally, but the site was down when I looked for it, so I had to use some google-fu to find it.

Any search for “high elf rumours” should come up with stuff about it and other new High Elf stuff.

Hammerhand:

I believe it's just a normal entry in the army list. I saw the picture on Warseer originally, but the site was down when I looked for it, so I had to use some google-fu to find it.

Any search for "high elf rumours" should come up with stuff about it and other new High Elf stuff.

Thommy H
This months WD says it comes as a kit that can be made into white lion or tyranoc chariots. Their new plastic (yes plastic) dragon rider looks equally as awesome. Damn pointy ears, they get all the Gucci kit!

Dracomancer:

Ah well, just means our CD stuff will be jaw-droppingly awesome when its released, besides, their special characters got “Morley’d”, shame really…