[Archive] plastic instead of resin for casting

Mosk:

Hey does anyone know if plastic or resin is better for casting I find the resin very difficult. Does anyone know of good plastic or resin

Hashut’s Blessing:

From what i know of Ishkur’s work (and some others on here), I get the impression that resin is better. If you find the two part mould method difficult, you could try Mr. Xander’s method (which is similar to what I would’ve thought of), which is to have holes at the top (relative to the model) of the mould and some sprues sticking out of the sides to prevent air getting it, then pour in from the top.

Alas, I don;t know enough about either casting, let alone both, to be of any more help, sorry.

Kera foehunter:

well here one you don’t want to try it called Amazing

cast resin

it be great for larger stuff !! but it don’t pick up any detail !!

but the amazing mold maker. stuff is great it will pick up detail

and you can get it at local hobby store (art and craft type store) 19.00

the mold maker rubbery flexable mold and can be used more than once

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Unless you’re ready to invest $500, 000+ into a propper plastic injection moulding machine, then your only option is to resin cast.

Grimstonefire:

Agreed with tarrakk.

Incidently if you happen to use plastic on a model being made into a mould in a vulaniser it will melt and potentially explode! At the vey least it would just melt and deform the model.

Borador:

What kind of resin should you use?

Viskar Zhragoth:

@ Grim, yeah, but Gw figured out how to use plasticard in their figure molds a while ago…back when they redid epic…It is how they got all of those titans with the flat armor pieces…they just cut and shaped them out of card, and then made a mold from it…In fact it became pretty prevalent for a while…a lot of the sculptors took a stab at using that new "method"

Couldn’t find a work in prgress on the titans or the talos (which I got to hold in its "green state- a misnomer…it was more card than green when I saw it). But here is a green of the unreleased leonatos fig…notice the sword in plasticard?

Viskar Zhragoth:

@ Grim, yeah, but Gw figured out how to use plasticard in their figure molds a while ago…back when they redid epic…It is how they got all of those titans with the flat armor pieces…they just cut and shaped them out of card, and then made a mold from it…In fact it became pretty prevalent for a while…a lot of the sculptors took a stab at using that new "method"

Couldn’t find a work in prgress on the titans or the talos (which I got to hold in its "green state- a misnomer…it was more card and wood than green when I saw it). But here is a green of the unreleased leonatos fig…notice the sword in plasticard?