[Archive] Playing Dwarfs

ross_lionheart:

I just had a battle against dwarfs ina 2k game. Sadly like last week I was defeated. I need some advice against these guys because he uses alot of shooting in his army…I dont consider his army to be very balanced :0

1. 2 of his units had 4 plus ward saves against shooting

2. His cannon could re-roll misfires and also fire a shooting template at strength 10

3. When destroyed his bolt thrower unleashed 2D6 Strength 4 hits

4. He uses a organ gun, a canon, a stone thrower and a bolt thrower

5. He uses 3 units of 15 thunderers

6. He uses 4 units of 10 crossbow men

7. All of his warmachines were armed with some special ruin and his character will all equiped out

8. He had alot of solid regiments, 1 unit of Ironbreakers 20 stong, 25 warriors, 2 x 25 longbeards

Xander:

Wow, pretty crazy. o.o

Not sure how I’d even approach such an army. :S

Zorgoth:

Ummm… :0 hope that the dice gods really, really, really, really, (continues but I will skip for your safety) like you. Blood sacrifices usually help, and they usually accept your soul… :slight_smile:

ross_lionheart:

I just had a battle against dwarfs ina��2k game.��Sadly like last week I was defeated.��I need some advice against these guys because he uses alot of shooting in his army...I dont consider his army to be very balanced :0

1.��2 of his units had 4 plus ward saves against shooting
2.��His cannon could re-roll misfires and also fire a shooting template at strength 10
3.��When destroyed his bolt thrower unleashed 2D6 Strength 4 hits
4.��He uses a organ gun, a canon, a stone thrower and a bolt thrower
5.��He uses 3 units of 15 thunderers
6.��He uses 4 units of 10 crossbow men
7.��All of his warmachines were armed with some special ruin and his character will all equiped out
8.��He had alot of solid regiments, 1 unit of Ironbreakers 20 stong, 25 warriors, 2 x 25 longbeards

ross_lionheart
:0 I dont think his army was well balanced, it wasnt fun to play and it was just based around shooting..

There is only one man who knows how to overcome such odds the great METRO :cheers

Monty:

Erm his list is illegal… STILL! Also that is pure cheese, if someone pulled that out on me the 10 units of 20 hogobo and twin earth shakers would enter the fray…

metro_gnome:

well you’ve dusted off a second earth shaker i trust…

how many boltthrowers can you manage?

metal magic seems like it might be the way to go…

run magic heavy… 10 dice… maybe 12… all metal dice…

Spirit, Commandment, Transmutation, Rule… they are all your friends vs this army…

But Law of Gold should stop this thing cold… runic war machines cannot fire under Law of Gold…

Standards stop working… shiney weapons become just weapons…

how many runesmiths? anvil?

ross_lionheart:

well you've dusted off a second earth shaker i trust...
how many boltthrowers can you manage?

metal magic seems like it might be the way to go...
run magic heavy... 10 dice... maybe 12... all metal dice...
Spirit, Commandment, Transmutation, Rule... they are all your friends vs this army...
But Law of Gold should stop this thing cold... runic war machines cannot fire under Law of Gold...
Standards stop working... shiney weapons become just weapons...

how many runesmiths? anvil?

metro_gnome
Something like this??

Characters:
1 Chaos Dwarf Metal Lord (Level 4) @ 225 Points
- Lore Of Metal
- Black Gem Of Gnarr
- Leads the Unit of 24 CD Warriors

Chaos Dwarf Metal Priest (Level 2) @ 100 Points
- Lore Of Metal
- Leads the Unit of Blunderbusses

Chaos Dwarf Metal Priest (Level 2) @ 100 Points
- Lore Of Metal

Chaos Dwarf Hero (General) @ 94 Points
- Armour Of Gazrakh
- Great Weapon
- Lead the unit of 24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Core Units:
24 Chaos Dwarf warriors @ 246 Points
- Hand Weapons, Heavy Armour and shields
- FCMD

24 Chaos Dwarf warriors @ 246 Points
- Hand Weapons, Heavy Armour and shields
- FCMD

15 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses @ 180 Points
- Blunderbusses
- Heavy Armour

Special Units:
2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers @ 60 Points
- 4 hobgoblin crewmembers armed with hand weapons.

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers @ 60 Points
- 4 hobgoblin crewmembers armed with hand weapons.

20 Orcs Big Un's @ 236 Points
- Light Armour and 2 Choppas
- FCMD

35 Hobgoblin Sneaky Gits @ 205 Points
- 2 Hand Weapons (Poisonous Attacks)
- FCMD

Rare Units:
1 Earthshaker Cannon @110 Points
- 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew member armed with hand weapons and
heavy armour.

1 Earthshaker Cannon @110 Points
- 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew member armed with hand weapons and
heavy armour.

Total Points: 2000 Points

metro_gnome:

generally i like it… 2 things tho…

do you need that CD hero?.. the sorceror lord is providing your Ld 10…

i’d make room for some wolfboyz… you need to get at his warmachines…

perhaps the best of both worlds… hobbie hero with enchanted shield, HA and sword of might…

leading 10 wolf boyz with light armor, shields and musician…

to get there drop the gitz… and use the models as vanilla hobbies instead…

maybe 4 units of 10 as screens…

Khan!:

1.��2 of his units had 4 plus ward saves against shooting
2.��His cannon could re-roll misfires and also fire a shooting template at strength 10

ross_lionheart
*Two* of his units had a 4+ plus ward?? I don't have the new dwarf book, but that sounds like a master rune-type banner to me.....and you can only have one of each master rune. Hmmm :~

Also, dwarf cannons are Strength 7, aren't they? Being little cannons? There are strength adding runes, and re-roll misfire runes, but ye can only have three runes on any given war machine. Also if there is a rune that gives cannons template-effects then I will be adding many cannons to my old dwarf army and eating my new chaos dwarf hat in protest to GW's tomfoolery. I could be wrong, but something definitely seems fishy about your opponent's list.....

Lord Zarkov:

Yes the template cannons seems a little odd.

@ R_L you sure that they’re cannons and not Grudge Throwers (which can have S10 templates under the new rules, or at least the hole can be S10; I’m not so sure about the rest, I’d check that).

@Khan! the little cannons are still S10, they just have a shorter range and do D3 wounds

It’s the really small ones that are S7 (i.e. the galloper ones)

ross_lionheart:

*Two* of his units had a 4+ plus ward??��I don't have the new dwarf book, but that sounds like a master rune-type banner to me.....and you can only have one of each master rune.��Hmmm :~
He said because his other unit was within a certain distance both units had a ward save against shooting..

Bascially I think all of his war machines had some type of ruin attached to them..the bolt thrower for example once destroyed inflicted 2D6 strength 4 hits....The cannon could re-roll misfires and use a S10 flame template..I didnt even bother asking about his other items by that point..

If he was cheating thats would be really intresting because last week the head of the club cheated me with his empire and now the second head of the club has cheated me...Whats the point in playing the game if people cant even be honest with one another...

Lord Zarkov:

hmm; except for the S10 flame template ( I know you can have the flame cannon, but I don’t remember seeing it be able to get over S5 or 6) I have seen or heard about those runes before.

The ward save one is quite nasty as it affects all units within a certain distance (6" I think, but i’m not sure on that)

Skellan:

I realise this is ancient history, but I am going through the archives, and I actually saw a question to which I have the answer. :slight_smile:

My one son is dishonouring Hashut by playing “Southern” Dwarfs :mad so except for a second canon in place of the grudge thrower, this army list looks suspiciously familiar. :sick

1)��Rune of Grungni gives all units within 6" of the standard a 5+ ward save vs. shooting…not 4+ though… :frowning:

2) An Engineer (sort of like a champion that can be added to a canon or grudge thrower crew) allows him to reroll a misfire. :0

3) Rune of Immolation

4 - 8) Organ Gun is Rare, the��grudge (stone) thrower, iron breakers, canon, and bolt thrower are all special, and everything else is common.��So long as he didn’t have more longbeards than warriors, this would be legal at 2000+ points.��If he had 2 units of longbeards and one of warriors, that would be a rule violation.

As for the S10 flame template on the canon, did he roll for it?��Grapeshot from a canon gives you a artillery dice roll for S and a flame template, so if he rolled well…he may not have been cheating. :cheers