[Archive] Poll: Will GW ever make more CD's?

Merchant:

I must say, for now it might not be the first thing on the drawing board - to get the Chaos Dwarfs back in the game as an army in its own…

But now that we are getting Warhammer Forge, we will see some teasers on what might be then next Chaos Dwarfs army - well thats just my theory…

But we can only hope, that they will bring the Chaotic Dwarfs back in the game :slight_smile:

Cheers

inkpwn:

I think the only chance of chaos dwarfs coming back would be as a unit in the chaos warrior army, I don’t think gw want blunderbuss and bazookas(even if skaven tech is a bit out there) back in the game but I can’t really seeing them being to opposed to the standard warriors and hobs. Especcially if the forge world casts sell well, so when they come out us lot have to get buying.

Father Grumpmas:

My totally uninformed (and slightly crazed) opinion is that GW do in fact have a Chaos Dwarf army list and figures well advanced in the works.

The combination of the up-coming War Forge releases and the ‘sudden’ appearance of the Mantic Khaos Dwarfs, bumping their Orc release later into the year, means something is brewing.

Warforge will need more than some spazzy books andus interested players/modellers to support the sale of their CD stuff - they need a fully supported WFB army with accompanying cheaper plastics that will appeal to the wider WFB world, not just the existing Chaos Dwarf community.

Likewise, there is no reason for Mantic to suddenly rush out their Khaos Dwarfs unless they have a solid reason i.e. a strong belief that there will be a big market for them outside of the Kings Of War game. Logically, one would expect their new orc releases to be a stronger seller than Khaos Dwarfs, especially with a new WFB Orc book not too far away, and therefore to be a higher priority release.

The change of name of the Mantic ‘Khaos Dwarfs’ suggests IP pressure from GW.

You read it here first folks :hat off

nitroglysarine:

tbh, GW would pressure Mantic over the name anyway, even if they had no intent of releasing them, or so i’d say.

Thorne:

I think over the past 6 months or so games workshop are feeling a pinch from other publishers like Perry miniatures and their plastic ranges looking so so very good, Warlord games are marching out Romans and war of the roses and now mantic are pumping out elves undead and Khaos OOPS I mean abyssal dwarves and normal dwarves by the bucket load now wouldnt you feel a presure to lean on a third party that frankly is doing more for the hobby than GW itself lending them to spit out their proverbial dummy from there pram.

The yes maybe the combination of the up-coming War Forge releases and the ‘sudden’ appearance of the Mantic Khaos Dwarfs, bumping their Orc release later into the year, means something could be brewing as Grumpmas said but you look at how much faster it is to create moulds for lead model parts as it is to tool a whole plastic injection mould and the cost implications. Mantic games only need to take a look here to find that a keen base is already here to buy their wares. I would go to say the likes of Nitro’s work with his mantic dwarves iinspired Ronnie to push Bob Naismith to sculpt lord knows how many new heads blunderbusses and the extras that go with mantics dwarf range.

I honnestly do hope one day we will see GW chaos dwarves but not for a long time yet.

nitroglysarine:

I would go to say the likes of Nitro's work with his mantic dwarves iinspired Ronnie to push Bob Naismith to sculpt lord knows how many new heads blunderbusses and the extras that go with mantics dwarf range.

Thorne
*Nitro Blushes* ;P

Thorne:

Just a point in process. As GW have just flooded the market with new orc models, Probably knowing this as just pure conjecture I would estimate Mantic Games own Orcs would have pushed the release of their own orcs back a lot. Why would mantic release a whole range of of models that are going to go head to head with GW’s on GW’s terms its near brand suicide to do os why not push the envelope with something based upon their own range. N!Tro that wasnt a huge compliment I paid in kind but I admit I love your models but when immages of your models start getting used to advertise Mantic products from a third party Ebay seller you MUST be doing something right. I cant work out what :stuck_out_tongue:

Willmark:

My stance has been the same as it has always been. I hope for them but I dont think we will ever see them.

Sad thing is the the parts are all there across the Chaos, Dwarf and Orc lines to make Chaos Dwarfs.

snowblizz:

Ever? Yes.

Anytime soon? Anyone’s guess.

Hazkar:

i think gw will keep an eye on how well the mantic abbysal dwarfs will sell

and if the wf chaos dwarfs will sell goog too,they might give cd a second chance

Thommy H:

I would be extremely surprised if Mantic’s profits are even visible from the giant stack of money the GW executives are sitting on. Saying their policy is going to be influenced by anything Mantic does is rather like saying Usain Bolt is going to start bucking up his ideas because Little Timmy came first in the sack race.

Hazkar:

i´m not talking bout the profit mantic will make,its the market for cd gw may see and makes them think bout redoing them

Thommy H:

Yeah, but what I mean is that anything Mantic achieves is going to be a drop in the ocean compared to GW’s market. I’m not running Mantic down or anything, but to say that their ahem “Abyssal Dwarfs” will have any bearing on what GW does in the future is to rather overestimate the size of Mantic’s business. A million-dollar multinational corporation cannot use the success or failure of a company several magnitudes smaller to dictate its own policy. To use another demeaning metaphor, it’s like Coca-Cola switching their signature drink to Sprite because Little Suzie’s lemonade stand is doing pretty well.

I don’t know where all these little kids are coming from.

Thorne:

Tommy as much as I think your a great guy I think your not seeing the whole market. In one day I was sat painting and chatting with the owner of my local independent store helping him push some lame commision of generic primary colour troopers out the front door to see that mantic products were selling 1 for 1 with games workshops efforts. Now I am not saying that Mantic are as big a company and that Coca~Cola will switch to sprite what I am saying is unlike the ill fated warzone and the model range that Target games tried to push out which were sadly lacking in quality now people have the option they are choosing with their wallet.

No matter how much I got into the hoby of wargaming which co incedentaly was seeing a noise marrine in the high school play ground (Real noise real guitar :wink: ) but you put the undead Vampire counts army next to the Mantic games undead game box

Vampire count boxed set £51.25

20 skelegogs with Command

10 ghouls with Command

20 zombies with Command

1 horrid cart with Command

51 models in total

Mantic army set £49.99

40 skelegogs with Command

20 armoured skelegogs Revenants with Command

20 Ghouls

30 Zombies

110 models in total.

The mantic set seams to me better value for money with twice as many skelegogs twice the ghouls another wight type unit and an additional 10 zombies to boot without the corpse cart.

I agree with you that a multi million dollar multinational corporation cannot use the success or failure of a company several magnitudes smaller to dictate its own policy. But when a company like Mantic games start becoming a threat to that multi million dollar multinational corporation start loosing what they consider their profit margins then that will dictate what the directors of GW do with fortch comming  product range no?. Specialy when you consider the competition is

Thommy H:

I don’t really follow your argument, Thorne. I’m not talking about the quality, or the prices or anything else - all I’m saying is that GW has hundreds of stores all over the world, they shift millions of units a year, they’re a publicly traded company. Regardless of the product, or their anecdotal popularity in your FLGS, Mantic are not a threat at this point. I don’t know how anyone can dispute that. I don’t think I’m running Mantic down by saying that, nor do I dislike what they make per se (indeed, I own their Skeleton Horde, and it’s a very nice kit), I’m just saying that, right now, they could sell out their whole stock of Abyssal Dwarfs, and that would still be only the tiniest fraction of the number of units of a single product that GW sell. I would bet good money they sell more boxes of Ogre Bulls or Bretonnian Knights or whatever else you care to name in a year than Mantic have ever sold of anything. It’s a totally different scale of business.

So I don’t think Mantic has, or will have, anything to do with whether GW decide to make Chaos Dwarfs. Never mind the fact that they wouldn’t be able to find out how well they’re selling anyway, but even if they did, it would be a tiny blip on their radar, and not anything a massive company like GW could or should use to make an important decision. It would be as fiscally irresponsible, like I said, as Coca-Cola basing their business model on Little Suzie’s lemonade stand.

Thorne:

Its not that I dont follow your point either but all I am saying is it would also be fiscally irresponsible to avoid a gap in the market that games workshop have created by not making Chaos dwarves on a commercial scale that they have avoided for countless years. Not that I think gamesworkshop will fill this gap any time soon nor do I think that Coco~cola Gamesworkshop’s will create a kit because little Suzies Mantic’s lemonade stand is doing great down in good old Maryland. But what else I am trying to illustrate is Games Workshop are pricing themselves out of the market too if you look at the pricing of current.

Thommy H:

I don’t know that there is a gap in the market, is there? There’s a theoretical one, in the sense that you could say, “they used to sell x-amount of Chaos Dwarfs, and now they don’t, therefore they’re losing £y” but I think that’s overly simplistic. If Chaos Dwarfs had sold back when they were supported, the range would have been maintained and updated. Obviously they weren’t successful enough to justify the cost of producing, marketing and stocking them: they lost money. Whether they would be successful now is a totally different argument - GW’s market is exponentially larger than it was in the late 90s, and its business model is necessarily different, one would hope.

Personally, I think the market could support a Chaos Dwarf army, but I don’t think Mantic’s successes (if indeed they materialise) are any way to judge that, simply because (as I said) you’re talking about a whole different scale of business. At best, the Abyssal Dwarfs represent anecdotal market research from the point of view of GW execs. Useful, but no basis on which to reach an actual decision.

I also don’t buy that they’re pricing themselves out of the market. I used to think they were, but that’s when I was a student and didn’t have any disposable income. Now that I work for a living, the prices don’t seem as unreasonable as they once did. I think GW bases its pricing model on the assumption that their customers are either young professionals like me, or the children of middle-class parents, as I was. Students and older teenagers (whose parents are no longer so indulgent…) get kind of caught in the middle of those demographics and, not coincidentally, they make up the vocal minority on forums.

Spikes:

The problem is, I already have all the chaos dwarfs and hobgoblins I need. Even if they put out a new army book and models, I will probably keep the hordes I have right now and will not be worth any money to GW if they remake an army book. However, I have already spent a lot of money on their gnoblar, goblins and dwarf kits to justify my army being a “GW-worthy investment”. Give and take, I guess.

snowblizz:

Obviously they weren't successful enough to justify the cost of producing, marketing and stocking them: they lost money.

Thommy H
That's not necessarily true. Indeed I'd say it was unlikely the CDs were losing them money, the investment of resources wasn't *that* great. The return on investment just wasn't high enough. I'd also mention CDs didn't exactly get a fair chance compared to most other armies. So I'm not a fan of the "you should have bought more back then" argument. Necrons and Dark Eldar share(d) much of the same issues. The new Dark Eldar looks more like a "new(ish) army done right".

Just as a point, something you have mentioned before, it's not necessarily about losing money, but not getting enough of it. Put that effort into Space Marines, instant profit. Do something else and it's a longer term investment. In other words, ROI.

So it's all really the fault of Space Marines players. But I think everybody knew that already.
The problem is, I already have all the chaos dwarfs and hobgoblins I need. Even if they put out a new army book and models, I will probably keep the hordes I have right now and will not be worth any money to GW if they remake an army book. However, I have already spent a lot of money on their gnoblar, goblins and dwarf kits to justify my army being a "GW-worthy investment". Give and take, I guess.

Spikes
Well you don't really "need" *any* Chaos Dwarfs or Hobgoblins. That makes an incorrect assumption, there's no absolute maximum number of miniatures you need. Unlike says cars and houses where you will naturally restricted to few items. Normally you don't "need" more than 1 house, 1-2 cars, 1 dishwasher and so on. Can't really say the same about miniatures. A second dishwasher won't do much more than stand on top of the other, but deciding to not collect more than 1 army to say 3000 points is a totally arbitrary limitation. Collecting another army to 2500 points won't necessary devalue the army you have. And boosting the original army to 6000 points won't make the other models useless.

Oh, and as Thommy is so fond of pointing out, when it comes to a future Chaos Dwarf army we are largely meaningless (I disagree somewhat with that statement but that's another issue).

Thommy H:

Oh, and as Thommy is so fond of pointing out, when it comes to a future Chaos Dwarf army we are largely meaningless
I've never said anything like that.