[Archive] PRE-HERESY SPACE WOLF

KRUG_666:

Hello, just thought I would post some pics of my vision of Bjorn the Fell Handed during the Great Crusade, it was rush painted and rush built for a contest on the Great Crusade forum, but thats half the fun then right?

I wanted to see how I would do trying my hand at “true scale marines” by using terminator legs. No green stuff was used in the making of this model, all plastic GW bits and frustrated dry-brushing…heh…:cheers

What do you guys think?

Kera foehunter:

THAT’S IS SO (non cussing ) great !!

you omost made me get bard for using cussing to say how perfect that is krug

wow i love the base!

Hazkar:

the terminator legs work great,they look right on the mini

is the left shoulder converted or part of an older model?

KRUG_666:

Thanks Kera!

Hazkar, the studded shoulder pad is standard issue in the SM tactical box, you get 2 of 'em.

slev:

I remember doing a “first founding” gallery conversion project years ago. A lot of fun, but I was let down by my co-conspirators…

GRNDL:

The model overall is very cool - different for a space marine, for sure. The dry brushing doesn’t help much I’m afraid and pulls the model down, IMO.

One question about the pieces: are all the parts from the current range of GW marine models, or are there any real “pre-heresy” pieces, ie: from the Rogue Trader era of GW? I have a feeling there’s not, since there is a considerable size difference between those ranges and today’s models.

Also, what do you define as “true scale space marine” the term is lost on me, I’m afraid. Is it some way of making the marine more realistic proportionally?

KRUG_666:

Thats sounds really kool Slev!

Grindl, as I said it was rush painted, normally I would have layed down several thin layers of paint and washes and highlghts. “True-scaling Marines” is something that a lot of Marine players do to make their models look like they should- giant- compared to say Imperial Guard. Usually you start with Terminator legs and bulk it up with green stuff, Im sure you can see some great examples on Warseer or Great Crusade.

RT was never during the Heresy, so I don’t know where you get that from as RT Marines were all beakie helmets which MK 6 was used after the Heresy.

And yes, all the pieces are from the current range.

Here is a link if you interested in more Pre-Heresy stuff.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crusade/index.php

GRNDL:

re: True scaling

Gotcha

re: Rogue Trader era

I thought that as far as the Warhammer 40k Universe was concerned at the time of the publication of Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader, that there was no Heresy mentioned at all. It was, in fact, before the thought of Chaos was introduced to the “campaign”. I.e: this was a few year before the Realm of Chaos books were introduced.  If it was mentioned in the book (and I don’t have a copy on hand to check - my copy is at home), it was very limited.

So, I was using the “Rogue Trader era” to refer to the book and is full of beakies, studded shoulderpads and tubed chestplates. The chestplate in your conversion looks very much like the old RT book and the models of that time, but seemed to fit the scale of the rest of the model, which looks more like up-to-date models. I guess I should have really asked: "Are you using any of the original plastic space marine parts in this conversion?"

re: Great Crusade web site

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. When I started playing 40k (way back in 87) I was fascinated by marines, but now I can barely look at them. I’m thinking that your model, the theme of pre-heresy and true-scaling, might actually restore some of that interest. Thanks!

KRUG_666:

Ah, I understand, yes the parts I used are a Space Wolf chest plate, head and cloak. Khorne Berserker arms, Terminator legs and Space Marine shoulder pads.

I do use my old RT Marine peices to make new conversions but thats rare just like the models are!

cornixt:

I thought that as far as the Warhammer 40k Universe was concerned at the time of the publication of Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader, that there was no Heresy mentioned at all. It was, in fact, before the thought of Chaos was introduced to the "campaign". I.e: this was a few year before the Realm of Chaos books were introduced.  If it was mentioned in the book (and I don't have a copy on hand to check - my copy is at home), it was very limited.

GRNDL
Correct, back in RT there was no Heresy, and not much army structure at all. Later updates in WD and other supplements added the Horus Heresy story and fleshed out most of the current armies (albeit in a slightly different form) plus a few others that later disappeared. The Chaos army was in the Realm of Chaos books. By 2nd edition, the fluff was pretty well cemented in as it is now, with a few exceptions (mostly the armies that have gone and the newer ones).

GRNDL:

Yeah, as an 40k Grognard, I guess pre-Heresy has two definitions, one in Warhammer Campaign time and one in real world experience time. Thanks for backing that up Cornixt.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Hm I don’t think that only drybrushing is the best way to paint a space marine, with all the flat surfaces and such, but you sure have a fully painted army finished in short time like that. Do the Terminator legs make the marine bigger? Could you show it next to a regular marine for comparison, maybe?