[Archive] Primaris marines

Dînadan:

For those that haven’t heard already, GW are going to bring out a new breed of space marine for 8th; here’s a comparison pic of them next to the regular marines:

Photobucket

Bloodbeard:

I see Marines…

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Carcearion:

I see Marines...

Bloodbeard
Lol point taken, but I do see the difference.

So are these just new miniatures, or are they actually some kind of improved geneseed marines??? Because frankly, the current marine models are the same height as guardsmen... they should not be. This taller bigger marine makes allot of sense.

On the other hand if their new improved geneseed marines... bleh... from a story and lore perspective its a really dumb idea, and cheapens the already super heroic space marine.

Dînadan:

The minis are bigger and the fluff is that they’re a new breed of super marines commissioned by Guilliman. Currently there’s no indication that they’ll be a replacement and for now they’ll be standing alongside the current minis.

Carcearion:

The minis are bigger and the fluff is that they're a new breed of super marines commissioned by Guilliman.  Currently there's no indication that they'll be a replacement and for now they'll be standing alongside the current minis.

Dînadan
I was afraid of that :sick

Dînadan:

Alleged rules leak:

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/New40kIntercessorDatasheet.jpg

Thommy H:

It’s not a leak: GW posted that on their Community page.

Carcearion:

Blehh… the

Admiral:

Well, Games Workshop has always dealt in exaggerations over the top. Elite of elite of elite, warrior monks, rare exclusive warrior breeds, Daemonic ascension, strong mutations, otherworldly powers and chosen ones. 40k is filled with it, and generally it’s the least interesting part of the setting (works reasonably when glimpsed in the distance as mythical stories or rare sightings of legends in the flesh). Still well-handled for what it is. Yet another uppity-hand superduper marine won’t break the fluff, although having no instantly obvious difference to ordinary Marines is a letdown. Baroque armour and variant designs is a great part of the setting aesthetics, as is evident in Grey Knight, Thousand Sons, Emperor’s Children, Custodes armour and pre-Heresy marks.

One could guess the Primaris Marines are meant as new truescale Marine models, but with background to make collectors with existing Marine armies willing to buy them without turning their smaller Marines obsolete.

Carcearion:

Well, Games Workshop has always dealt in exaggerations over the top. Elite of elite of elite, warrior monks, rare exclusive warrior breeds, Daemonic ascension, strong mutations, otherworldly powers and chosen ones. 40k is filled with it, and generally it's the least interesting part of the setting (works reasonably when glimpsed in the distance as mythical stories or rare sightings of legends in the flesh). Still well-handled for what it is. Yet another uppity-hand superduper marine won't break the fluff...

Admiral
Weeelllll you make a very good point, and I think you right... but it still irks me a little :~

I've been running table top roleplaying games in the 41 millennium for over a decade, as deep as I am in the lore and setting I always rankle at any changes. But your right, for the most part the stories worth telling have always been about the little guys, even just space marines are little more than a distant legend to most- I suppose yet another tier of extra-marines doesn�?Tt really change a thing in the big picture.

Dînadan:

On the plus side the implication is that it’s taken ten thousand years just for the first batch to roll out; fluff is that Guilliman commissioned them and they’ve been worked on for ten millennia, implying that he ordered their creation sometime around the Horus Heresy, so unless they were ready after five millennia but were left sitting in an Imperial Mail sorting office for the other five because he wasnt around to sign for delivery of them, it has taken the full ten thousand years to work out the kinks in their creation. So it’s not as if he pulled them out of his ass five minutes after he was defrosted.

The crucial thing is whether they’ll fully replace the current marines and how long it’ll take to do so if they do. The current fluff is that they’re just a supplement to the regular marines, not wholecloth replacements. There’s plenty of people who think GW are going to introduce various kits for these guys then phase out the current marines.

Carcearion:

I’d be perfectly happy with that, I do really like how they look… I’d love to see some more “truescale” Chaos Marines down the line :smiley:

TheHoodedMan:

The poses look a little bit more “dynamic” than the normal SM and the armor has a few more details, but otherwise I don`t see a necessity for making these SM “a new breed”. Why did GW not just update the current SM line?

Depending on the impact on the game this reduces my positive feelings on the new edition more than a little bit.

But still wait and see.

zobo1942:

Didn’t GW ‘ceast and desist’ someone who was making replacement space marine legs (to get them to the proper height) several years ago?

Carcearion:

Didn't GW 'ceast and desist' someone who was making replacement space marine legs (to get them to the proper height) several years ago?

zobo1942
I would be surprised if they didn't ;P

cornixt:

After the Chapter House suit, GW don’t have a, erm, leg to stand on.

Furious241:

When the folks at Games Workshop thinking “we should do a new army for the new edition… what should it be?” I can’t tell if it’s ballsy-ness or laziness that they came up with goddamn Space Marines again.

Carcearion:

After the Chapter House suit, GW don't have a, erm, leg to stand on.

cornixt
OOOooooohhh!!!

Burn :hashut

Grimstonefire:

I think it’s a great move on their part, to introduce something new for the army that must be 50% of their sales.  They can effectively update half their range with a new release immediately.

We’ll see about the future, they’ve said already there will be vehicle (not sure about plural) and a dreadnought.

If after this they release characters or anything new for the old/current scale then it’s just intended as a flash release.

Silly thing is though, I wonder how long it will take chaos to warp them.  10,000 years in the making and chaos will warp in 5 mins. :smiley:

Admiral:

More revealed here. Including new Death Guard range!