[Archive] Primer Woes

Nicodemus:

I’ve got to vent - Damn primer. Holy $#!%… I’m not impressed at all.  Here in Saskatchewan we’ve really only got a guaranteed 6-8 months out of the year that there’s any hope of spraying primer outside because for the rest of the year it’s way too cold to spray primer.  

Anyway, so I’ve got to prime stuff this time of the year and stock pile stuff for the long Winter.  I took out a huge batch of figs to prime a few nights ago and encountered a problem that I hadn’t really encountered before - the primer coated everything in a thick dust that’s party stuck on all of the models and makes them look very rough.  How many models? More than 50!  I should also mention that I always spray another surface first and make sure there are no blockages.

Brushing with a stiff brush hasn’t really done anything other than remove a very tiny bit of the crap.  Searching about the problem I found a thread on dakkadakka concerning exactly the same issue - frigging Armoury Primer. Last time I use it.

Seems like the only solution now is to either salvage some of the least-affected models and then put them in middle ranks so they aren’t as obvious and then strip the rest… or just strip everything and scrub them with a brush and start over with a new primer.  What I’m really concerned about with the plethora of figs that have Green Stuff, metal and plastics held on with cyano acrylate-absed glue.  Anyone have experience with how well GS will hold up if I’m just putting something like Pine Sol on a toothbrush and brushing down and rinsing figs??

If have have to soak off the primer it’ll probably mean a lot of the glued bits will all need to be re-done and I just can’t bring myself to think about that. I hate repeating work.

~N

Joshmohr:

When it comes out in a dust, its called flocking at my shop. It happens when the paint dry’s in midair. This happened to some of my guys, and to fix it i soaked them in simple green, and scrubbed them with a tooth brush. Hope this is some help.

Nicodemus:

When it comes out in a dust, its called flocking at my shop.

Joshmohr
Interesting... I think what I said was pretty close to: "Flocking ...".

Maybe I'll try some gentle scrubbing with PineSol which I've good luck with.

Da Crusha:

but is it really a problem? that happens to me all the time and I just paint over it. I’ve never had a problem stem from it. in fact it helps the base coat go on easily without multiple coats.

Nicodemus:

but is it really a problem? that happens to me all the time and I just paint over it. I've never had a problem stem from it. in fact it helps the base coat go on easily without multiple coats.

Da Crusha
except none of my smooth surfaces look smooth anymore. It'd be great if I was intending to paint weathered rock or statues.. but on shiny plates of metal and bulging muscles it looks bad. :(

Shakhorth:

Had the same issue with primer but also with a varnish I used. It sprayed a thick layer on my painted figures which then stuck to it. Maded it look rough and buckly, so bye bye detail. Don’t know what caused it, but since then I always ‘test’ spray on some other surface before even coming near any miniature.

cornixt:

Usually it is because the models are too far from the spray, but it is pretty tough to get it right in low-humidity too.

Hashut’s Blessing:

The soaking for stripping doesn’t affect plastic glue, nor greenstuff and it hasn’t ever affected my superglue either, but that’s with Dettol. May as well strip and respray for safety’s sake.

snowblizz:

The soaking for stripping doesn't affect plastic glue, nor greenstuff and it hasn't ever affected my superglue either, but that's with Dettol. May as well strip and respray for safety's sake.

Hashut's Blessing
I'd put in a warning note against soaking too long. Greenstuff does not like to lie soaking in liquid for extended periods of time. This was using a local product which AFAICT is a very close approximation to Pinesol. Plastic glue bonds should be ok, but superglue and GS can come unstuck even by soaking in water I think.

Just rinsing it in water and/or Pinesol should be safe. I think trying with just water will remove most of the "flocking" (great word BTW), which should be fairly loosely attached, and keep most of the primer on the model.

Obsidian:

Familiar problem, had it once even worse with a can of varnish. Looked like a thick layer of dust was on the model and I had to strip it completely and start over again.

GRNDL:

Green stuff doesn’t dissolve in water. Green stuff was originally used to as a plumbing putty to fix holes, since it will “dry” and cure underwater, so I don’t see how it can dissolve in it. Water merely dampens its adhesive qualities.

Alcohol will dissolve it though.

Nicodemus:

OK, I’m feeling a bit more at ease with cleaning these guys up asap!

Joshmohr:

Another way to quickly strip a model, is to soak it in 90% rubbing alcohol for 10 seconds, then scrub it with a brush, and quickly wash under water. Thats how I do it if i want to make it quick.

Akhakk:

I had the exact same problem with Armoury primer a number of years ago. I thought it might have been just a bad can that I had bought, but I never tried the brand again. Apparently it’s not an isolated problem. Hope you can get them cleaned up without much problem.

felix:

Familiar problem, had it once even worse with a can of varnish. Looked like a thick layer of dust was on the model and I had to strip it completely and start over again.

Obsidian
I've had the same thing with my varnish. I am a slow painter, so I was very upset that my models looked very dusty. A friend told me to use Zap Zip Kicker, (it is a mist to make super glue set up instantly). You mist the dusty model with zip kicker (the model will look great wet), and then re spray with your varnish while the zip kicker is still wet, and everything will turn out looks perfect. Saved me hours. If it doesn't work you can always restrip, but it has saved me several models. :hat off

Nicodemus:

use Zap Zip Kicker, (it is a mist to make super glue set up instantly). You mist the dusty model with zip kicker (the model will look great wet), and then re spray with your varnish while the zip kicker is still wet, and everything will turn out looks perfect. Saved me hours.

felix
Felix!!! I'm going to try this. I spent a good solid 2-hours soaking figs in Pine Sol, then scrubbing with a toothbrush, rinsing and then re-rinsing with water. Next day I re-sprayed with Armoury White again after taking the nozzle off to check that it wasn't blocked up, test spraying some cardboard and then after feeling sure I was going to be OK I re-sprayed at a relatively close distance from the models (no closer than I've been doing for years though) and some of them still had that flocking fock on them. Not as bad as before... but hold flock! I was so mad I hucked the rest of the armoury cans into the garbage. POS.