[Archive] Problem with FW order

Necrotique:

G’day all,

I just received and assembled my FW Spined Spawn and have noticed that the toes and fingers are all fused together, with a bucketload of flash on them. The rest of the body was all fine, including the horns, and all the other photos I can find of it (including the guide) show the extremities as seperate from each-other.

I have contacted them through their email on the site (forgeworld@games-workshop.co.uk) but was wondering if there’s any more direct way to get a reply. I’ve heard that they’re generally quite good and would send the damaged parts again but was wondering what anyone elses’ experience on this is. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

:cheers

Pyro Stick:

The only timed ive ordered from FW was for some reinforced armour for a csm rhino. When it arrived they had sent me spaced armour in the bag for reinforced armour and it was incomplete and badly cast. I emailed them about it and they sent the correct item out straight away and didnt ask me to return anything. You could call them up if you are having problems with them replying by email but i never had any problems getting in touch with them.

Necrotique:

Cheers for the quick reply Pyro :slight_smile:

I’m hoping it won’t be a problem as the rest is fine; it’s just that the feet and “hands” are completely demented.

Will call them tomorrow at a more civil time tomorrow if I get no reply

Pyro Stick:

Cheers for the quick reply Pyro :)
I'm hoping it won't be a problem as the rest is fine; it's just that the feet and "hands" are completely demented.
Will call them tomorrow at a more civil time tomorrow if I get no reply

Necrotique
Im suprised they dont have better quality control. With the price they charge you would at least expect to get a perfect cast, but even the replacements i got sent still had a few air bubbles in them.

Thommy H:

Forge World is known for its poor quality casting, I’m afraid. I have no experience of it myself, but from what I’ve read elsewhere, they’re pretty notorious. It seems that customers who’ve never bought resin products elsewhere just dismiss it as being inevitable with the material, but it’s actually not at all. Forge World are just kind of crap.

Thorne:

Never am I to often support games workshop but I do find most of their stuff pretty good, you wouldn’t be the first people to say that I’m a fan boy but sometimes things go wrong sometimes in life not all things are always up too our expected standard bit forgeworld will often be the first people to put right any mistakes Oversights or quality contoll problems. Just give them a bell I’m sure they will sort it out. Odd to read myself defending games workshop isn’t it :wink:

Grimstonefire:

From what I gather FW unfortunately developed a poor reputation very early on because of poor moulding techniques.  These early moulds were used enormously to generate many years of things like rhino doors and the very early models.

After a certain point though they improved and replaced the early moulds, but still kept on selling a lot of poor quality models.  Things like thunderhawks that needed to be baked in the oven to cure etc.

Recently however though (i.e. last few years I think), their stocks of the really early stuff ran out and their quality picked up overall.

Their warhammer forge models look overall to be very high quality, mine certainly are.

I think it’s impossible not to have air bubbles with hand cast resin.  The problem FW have are not so much with these but with it being cheaper to replace say one in 10 orders than it is to hire a team of people to inspect each order as it goes out.

What I’m hoping for in the long term is that FW will be able to ‘hire’ machine space from Citadel now that they are producing spin cast resin.

The other option FW have are to split up each model they sell into individual bits and to have a place people can ask for specific replacement parts.  Which would in theory save them money compared to replacing say a whole mammoth for free.

Remember that it costs FW only a tiny fraction to produce anything compared to what they sell it for.

Necrotique:

Cheers for the help guys. the main problem is there’s a big hunk of flash under each foot and hand, fusing the toes/fingers and making it impossible to remove the flash without having detail-less toes/fingers. I’ll upload photos if you need some. I’m sure it’s just an abnormality and the few air-bubbles that there were have already been filled up with GS by me. I think it’s just a few mistakes on a model from a mould that I’m assuming is rather popular (and thus a tad worn.)

Edit while typing: Just refreshed my inbox and got an email just now saying they’ll send me a replacement order free of charge. Pretty happy with this as this part at least beats eBay. I just find it very weird that they’ll effectively give me another 54 quid (including shipping) model for free, but as Grim said, it only costs them a little bit to produce another model.

Happy with this outcome though. I guess I’ll have one spawn wearing flippers and one with actual feet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

snowblizz:

Edit while typing: Just refreshed my inbox and got an email just now saying they'll send me a replacement order free of charge. Pretty happy with this as this part at least beats eBay. I just find it very weird that they'll effectively give me another 54 quid (including shipping) model for free, but as Grim said, it only costs them a little bit to produce another model.

Happy with this outcome though. I guess I'll have one spawn wearing flippers and one with actual feet ;P

Necrotique
That one thing GW has always done well. If you get shoddy parts they'll get you new ones for free and usually that means a complete new kit. I think the "worst" I heard was someone not getting bases for the BfSP box and who got a whole new one instead of just the spider bases.

As mentioned the actual cost of what they replace is negligible, and also a tax write-off for them too I guess :).

It's weird, but you got to get by the "it doesn't really cost what I pay them" part of your mind. Which when passed, will chime in anytime you want to buy something, especially GW. :P:P:D

cornixt:

I wish I’d phoned them to complain about the Orc box I got years ago that was missing a load of heads.

People seem to get wound up about the raw materials cost of things and completely forget about the months/years of development work that goes into a product, which doesn’t cost nothing. Then there are the manufacturing and distribution costs, etc…

Necrotique:

Well by my view, if they let products slip with damage/miscasting then it’ll be their loss as less people will buy their products, so it’s easier to reimburse the customer rather than letting them receive inferior goods and thus no longer buying. After all, their sales pay for the designs and other costs. Really wish I could get a job in designing models (not casting, I’m terrible at DIY casting) but I have no idea how to.

snowblizz:

I wish I'd phoned them to complain about the Orc box I got years ago that was missing a load of heads.

People seem to get wound up about the raw materials cost of things and completely forget about the months/years of development work that goes into a product, which doesn't cost nothing. Then there are the manufacturing and distribution costs, etc...

cornixt
Uh-huh. But people don't consider those, that's why most people get fired up when they hear the retail mark-up of goods for example. They seem the price on the sticker and what it "cost" and that's that.
Well by my view, if they let products slip with damage/miscasting then it'll be their loss as less people will buy their products, so it's easier to reimburse the customer rather than letting them receive inferior goods and thus no longer buying. After all, their sales pay for the designs and other costs. Really wish I could get a job in designing models (not casting, I'm terrible at DIY casting) but I have no idea how to.

Necrotique
Well, here if anywhere there are quite a few guys who know about that. Grimstonefire applied for FW but it didn't bite. Warplock Monkey used to hang around here and has now gone into business on his own, sort of. Baggranor is also sorta self-employed. An we do have a bunch of other guys here who sculpt and post. Too many to list really. Mainly because my memory is, well short and not very good.

Necrotique:

Thanks for the help Snowblizz :slight_smile:

I’d just love to do anything to do with GW, whether sculpting or expanding the WH world via fluff. I just love the world of it and getting lost in the models and the world that they’re based in.