[Archive] Protecting your warmachines

thomasthefinch:

So, obviously with our lines looking pretty sparse for the most part, how do you protect your warmachines?

Is it the Hell Cannon or other things aside from? I have been using units of 3 Bull Centaurs with great weapons. Generally can take down most threats. What is everyone else using?

MLP:

Well the Hellcannon can protect itself

The Dreadquake can as well with a slave Ogre

Magma cannon/Deathshreiker combined with a Daemonsmith(He really is quite tough!) is usually safe against small units.

I normally don’t use much to protect them anyway as you don’t have a lot to spare, I find offence is the best defence. Give your opponent something else to worry about other than your warmachines. I unit of wolf raiders could be used as speedy rection unit.

propervillanz:

I tend to go with the double hellcannons when i can and place one on either flank as an avid WoC player i feel there is nothing better in the game at anchoring ones army while also protecting the rear and flank of it.

Baggronor:

3 big blocks in front of the machines, Destroyer on one flank, Lv2 Daemonsmith on Fire deployed with the machines and a Wolfkhan.

The Lv2 Fire shoots down any light units like furies, etc and anything he misses, the Wolf khan picks up. The Deathshrieker can also help with bombing Shades, Gutter Runners, etc.

The Destroyer’s massive threat range is usually enough to control most of the the movement phase.

Fireborn/BCs are also fast so can create threat zones where war machine hunters can’t stop.

Basically limit the areas where war machine hunting enemy units can go and have flexible options available for those areas, whether they are Wolfkhans or Daemonsmiths with sneaky gear like the Ruby Ring and a Power Stone for extra firepower.

rpitts2004:

3 big blocks in front of the machines, Destroyer on one flank, Lv2 Daemonsmith on Fire deployed with the machines and a Wolfkhan.

The Lv2 Fire shoots down any light units like furies, etc and anything he misses, the Wolf khan picks up. The Deathshrieker can also help with bombing Shades, Gutter Runners, etc.
The Destroyer's massive threat range is usually enough to control most of the the movement phase.
Fireborn/BCs are also fast so can create threat zones where war machine hunters can't stop.

Basically limit the areas where war machine hunting enemy units can go and have flexible options available for those areas, whether they are Wolfkhans or Daemonsmiths with sneaky gear like the Ruby Ring and a Power Stone for extra firepower.

Baggronor
Can our warmachines shoot over our units?

Baggronor:

True line of sight. If you can draw uninterrupted LoS from the war machine to the target, you can shoot no matter how unrealistic it is. Chaos Dwarfs are short, with big war machines :)

rpitts2004:

True line of sight. If you can draw uninterrupted LoS from the war machine to the target, you can shoot no matter how unrealistic it is. Chaos Dwarfs are short, with big war machines :)

Baggronor
I LOVE IT!!!! Our warmachines are super tall so....awesome

As for protecting the machines I use two 10 man units of fire glaives for support, usually use one to watch the machines.

cornixt:

Baggronor
Note to self: Mount all war machines on bases that have tall hills.

rpitts2004:

Baggronor

cornixt
Thankfully our warmachines are already tall, I know a guy that built his warplightning cannons differently so the cannon is on the way top instead of the catapult, so they can see over the battlefield, rats love cheese

Chico:

Baggronor

cornixt
Thankfully our warmachines are already tall, I know a guy that built his warplightning cannons differently so the cannon is on the way top instead of the catapult, so they can see over the battlefield, rats love cheese

rpitts2004
Heh i done that with my WLC's, gotta love true LoS

Bolg:

Jup that 8th edition for you. I have 2 different bases for my 4rd edition Doom Diver one is half an inch tall the other 2" both can look over my goblins fine but the tall one is for tournaments to avoid having stupid discussions.

Oh and if you put 90% of all ever released (chaos)dwarf warmachines on a decent base they can see over Dwarfs fine . If not just put a extra layer of cork on the base and you are done (: