[Archive] Prototyping Hobgoblins (3rd Two Years Later and Little Progress During That Update)

Kera foehunter:

come on pictures!! need more pictures

snowblizz:

come on pictures!! need more pictures

Kera foehunter
Took awhile. GH9 sorta got in between, but this is sort of how I envision the Hobbos looking. This is the more "martial" version. Come on, it could work right?

apocalypstia:

while there are a great number of preconceived notions about the 'ole hobgobs, i think you did come up with a nice adaptation with nods to the mongol gw roots of the race. You would definately have some seemingly unique and characterful hobgobbies rarely seen…

i think it could work quite well and if your liking the vibe even so much the better.

snowblizz:

Well that’s the more mongolian look. I don’t know quite how many I can make like this. Gobbo heads and all that.

I’m going try out maybe a few others, some with the silly hat and an archer. I’m trying to find out if the gobbo torsos is the way to go, as they have the greenskin slouch.

But this gives me a use for my HE archer bodies. Hashut knows they aren’t of much use for anything else.

Do they say “Hobgoblin” when you look at them or is it more “did he use HE archers?”.

Kera foehunter:

thanks Snowblizz love the SHOES!!!

Mike48:

Good ideas. I was thinking about maybe just using Gobbos as slaves as is. Then  bunch of Gnoblars on some Ogres sprues from everywhere.I could make a mixed slave unit with those and other random bits I can find. I know there is an army worth that doesn’t use since he decided to go old school metal with them.

Rapid prototyping

Hrothgar Goldgreed:

I like them a lot. I’d really like to see a unit of those!

snowblizz:

I like them a lot. I'd really like to see a unit of those!

Hrothgar Goldgreed
Shoot, I may have to make a whole unit then. Or well as many as I can, only have so many HE archer parts ;P.
Been caught up in making 40k Orks lately.

And I got hold of some real Hobgobs, not enough for a unit mind, but enough to realise these guys are in reality a bit too tall, though the most recent Oghla Khans wolfboyz are about the same height.

The more people fuel my ego on these the more likely it is I'll make a whole unit! Thanks! :hat off

anixma:

Oh Yeah…!

Great work…!

It loks so…Hobgoblin, also if they have a really strange skirt…!:):hashut

Dead Kennedy:

It works surprisingly well! I think the current common Goblin heads are too large for their own good, though. They look almost bobble-headish on an elf body. I’d suggest using some other heads, sculpting your own, or finding a way to make the union look more natural. Not trying to be a naysayer, I just think more work might be needed to really make it shine.

Hrm… Hobgoblins with posture. What a concept!

snowblizz:

I do agree about the common Goblin heads. They are a tad too large, it is a bit difficult though as the “real” Hobbos are of tinier scale generation, while the “old” plastics are from a slightly inflated generation.

If only the NG heads were a practical way. I just don’t think I can get hold of any. I’m actually thinking about 40k Grots now. They might have potential. Maybe Maelstrom would let me add to my unprocessed 20% off order… hmm…

Here’s a little something for my evergrowing fan-base. Pics of another prototype I wanted to try out, gobbo torso and HE legs. Gives more of a hunch.

Dead Kennedy:

Wow, that’s a big difference. The guy on the right looks really threatening, and the guy on the left has the classic Hobgoblin hunch (maybe moreso). I like the look and think it works better for the average trooper.

I’d like to see a prototype that uses something other than chaos marauder arms. I think they look alright and the weapons certainly work, but the slabs of muscle could be downplayed a bit. I find the original prototype doesn’t sit right somehow… big arms, tiny elf chest, long spindly legs… someone didn’t diversify at the gym.

Another touch I’d like to see experimented with: the classic hobgoblin earflaps. It would accentuate the hunch, as well as add a classic detail that would downplay the head’s modern goblin origins.

A conversion using 40k grots might work well. They’re rather slick models with lots of character, and could work really well with your conversions. I’m sure you could mix/match/trade until you had a mighty pile of heads for Hashut.

snowblizz:

Hot from the forges of my workbench some different takes with different parts.

I still am most happy with the HE body versions. I seem to forgotten one or two possible variants. I might get back with those as well.

Archers: 1 sized approximately to the “current” miniature, Flagellant body, Grot head

Warrior hobs, one with flagellant arms

Kera foehunter:

ahhhh hobgoblin with a 6 pack i see you work your hobgolbin in shape

i like your arches very well now you have me thinking on doing some of my older stuff over

snowblizz:

Lots of ideas. No follow through.

Skaven convertions been all the rage and here’s something I did for Sneakygits. Works VERY well. It was inspired by a couple of people suggesting, and using Plaguemonks. This might be THE easiest way of making sneaky gits.

tjub:

What heads have you been using for these gitz?

CheTralfara:

In my opinion the marauder arms are just waaaay too extremely huge… sometimes I think they are even too big for a dwarf let alone hobgob!

If you go with flagellants or the high elfs I would use the flaggellant arms as they are even smaller than the standard goblins (who have very muscley arms)… it’s funny, I’ve heard many times that flagellants make a little too buff hobgobs, yet the arms are smaller than standard goblins!

Anyway, the high elf conversion looks good with the right belly that you sculpted, and the flagel arms, but I wouldn’t make them THAT hunched… it’s a little over the top…

just my 2 cents…

you should think about doin hobgobs like me with nightgob heads from skull pass and new clanrat bodies!

snowblizz:

What heads have you been using for these gitz?

tjub
Gotta leave something for that unsolicited WoH conversion article I've written but not felt brave enough to submit. :~

They are heads from the 40k Ork Gretchin box.
In my opinion the marauder arms are just waaaay too extremely huge... sometimes I think they are even too big for a dwarf let alone hobgob!

If you go with flagellants or the high elfs I would use the flaggellant arms as they are even smaller than the standard goblins (who have very muscley arms)... it's funny, I've heard many times that flagellants make a little too buff hobgobs, yet the arms are smaller than standard goblins!

Anyway, the high elf conversion looks good with the right belly that you sculpted, and the flagel arms, but I wouldn't make them THAT hunched... it's a little over the top..

just my 2 cents...

you should think about doin hobgobs like me with nightgob heads from skull pass and new clanrat bodies!

CheTralfara
I think the thing with Flagellants is that the come with a sixpack and no paunch. That's the "buff" thing. It sorta rans contrary to to the Greenskin image. The arms is a good idea and I'll use as many as I have. Though Marauder arms are just so bloody convenient, right "level" of technology sorta Chaos looking. And in a pinch they are not *too* muscular considering Geenskins tend to be "muscular" looking. IMHO.

Yea, I was thinking about those Clanrats when I saw yours but I've decided against it I think. Mostly because there's enough different types of Hobgobs I'm toying with ATM. Also I don't feel like cutting apart Gobbos just for their heads. And I would need to get hold of BfSP. I might be the only recent CD collector who has absolutely no motivation of doing it.

Ben Saunders:

Don’t know how I missed this (I did try searching the forum before my more recent post). Anyway, I hope you’ll forgive the ‘threadromancy’ because those are some very impressive high elf hobgoblins. I didn’t think that would work at all when you mentioned it, but they suit the eastern theme well.

The last post suggests you were toying with other ideas - do you have any updates? What arms did you use in the end?

snowblizz:

I must somewhat shamefully admit that progress has been pretty much nil.

Having just acquired some Mantic Zombies I had a bit of fun with the parts.

The number of psoes and parts are a bit disappointing to em though. My main issue being finding weapons “weedy” enough for them to wield. So I am probably going to make them into Rabble Hobbos.

As well as playing around with some IoB Skaven (also a recent purchase due to waiting fora  voucher)

Whenever I manage to finish this I’m probably using a mix of arms, I got my new Ungor arms which size-wise also fits and they have more interesting weapons. But then again I play Beastmen and kinda need the handweapons for actual Ungors. Tricky.
So Marauder arms, Ungor arms and some goblin arms I think. They are all about the same in muscularture and size, and fit on the a bit “oversized” HE bits. Really not sure, probably going to on a case by case basis.

Sitting here right now it struck me I could use the Flagellants as Chaos cultist slave warriors and as such maybe wring some dual use form them as both “Ungors” and CD slaves.

Wracked by indecision I am. Which sorta explains why there’s no progress for over a year. That and I end up in front of my computer and workdesk promising myself I’m going to do something only to find I am missing some component or tool and it all gets pushed aside as I fire up a computer game instead.