[Archive] Purity seal pain

Ugly Green Trog:

Hi all,

I finally got the war machine part of my deathshrieker finished today so I got on with purity sealing it (satin spray varnish). Only problem is it dried cloudy ruining the metallic finish on parts of the model, anyone got any advice for dealing with this?

BoomBoom:

What it sounds like to me is that u sprayed it on in a high humidity environment.  I always finish models in low humidity.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Really annoying because I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the product. I think it’s called clear coat (maybe dustor’s?), but there is something out there for it.

Kera foehunter:

Tester dull coat … H B

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thank you, Kera! :smiley: Good grief I hate it when I know the answer and the words don’t form in my mind, lol :smiley:

Da Crusha:

I don’t have a lot of experience with varnishes but after I once painted something and immediately sprayed it with varnish and the whole model turned grey I decided to wait at least a full day before varnishing. haven’t had a problem since.

GRNDL:

Testors’ Dullcote can have its issues too. If its sprayed on too thickly or quickly, it can actually end up being shiny. Best to do several, very light coats in a humidity controlled environment.

As for Purity Seal - leave it behind if you’re doing a display model. IMO, its never been good.

Zuh-Khinie:

I use ‘antishine’ from ArmyPainter… haven’t had any trouble with it yet. And, as the name implies, it gives a good matt effect.

Key to using varnishes is that you need to shake the bottle for a long time before applying.

Ugly Green Trog:

It wasn’t high humidity but it was quite cold probably about 4 degrees with wind chill. I definitely didn’t use too much. Does anyone know a good way of striping the varnish back? Parts of the model are fine so I’d like to avoid a complete strip. Obviously if that’s the only solution I’ll do it but its disheartening as it was to be my first completed chaos dwarf list entry.

Luckily I left the crew separate to mount later so they are fine. I’ve just been working on it on and off for six months so I’m mega annoyed with myself and purity seal! I’m gonna do all my final varnish coats by hand in future. I normally do a coat of gloss then satin.

Zuh-Khinie:

I also never varnish or basecoat my models when it’s below 5°C.

I don’t know a way to strip only the varnish… there’s a few methods I could think of, but there’s no guarantee for succes.

If anything, you can just paint straight over the varnish again, and thus recuperate the parts that are still good.

DAGabriel:

Had that problem, too, without knowing a remedy for it. Now I don`t use sprayable dullcoat in the wintertime, there are enough products you can brush on.

Ugly Green Trog:

Yeah I’m gonna stick to brush on varnish in the future. I gryphonne sepiad the copper this morning which has helped a bit so I may do some reprinting in an attempt to salvage the model.