[Archive] Query about Iron Daemon etc

wallacer:

Am I safe in assuming that when the Iron Daemon fires its cannonades that it still needs to roll to hit?

I’m assuming it functions in a similar way to a ratling gun.

Also, if you cast the Lore of Hashut spell that gives a unit Hatred is it actually any use to them if they’re in combat and the first round of combat has been and gone? I’m guessing not.

rabotak:

Am I safe in assuming that when the Iron Daemon fires its cannonades that it still needs to roll to hit?

wallacer
i dont have the book with me but since it says something about 'moving and shooting without penalty', i would assume so.
Also, if you cast the Lore of Hashut spell that gives a unit Hatred is it actually any use to them if they're in combat and the first round of combat has been and gone?  I'm guessing not.

wallacer
well, i guess the rules for hatred are clear, but not the intend... i believe this is something which will be addressed by the our FAQ-query.

Abecedar:

Yep, Per the"T" Book depending on the number rolled by the artillery dice (highest of the two), thats how many you roll to try and hit

sorry can’t help with the Lore of Hashut … yet as haven’t really got into a deep read of it or even tried to use it yet.  Tonight is our clubs monthly games night and just my luck instead of working, my daughters having her 18th B’day party so I miss out again.  At least there’s beer involved.

I have my own query. as per the pictures at forge world, Is that the only place the coal shoveler sits properly? cause I can’t get mine to sit right.

wallacer:

Thanks for the replies.

Pretty much what I thought on the cannonade query.

Still a bit puzzled by the hatred thing. I suspect it may be one of those rules as written/rules as intended conundrums. Needless to say until it’s FAQed i’ll have to play as RAW.

nilbog:

Don’t forget the iron daemon doesn’t suffer from the -1 penalty for moving and shooting.

I roll off at the start of a game for breath of hatred, after explaining it to my opponent. Same with the -1 to wound for the k’daai.

Vogon:

I have my own query.  as per the pictures at forge world,  Is that the only place the coal shoveler sits properly?  cause I can't get mine to sit right.

Abecedar
Yes the coal shoveller only fits in one place but once you find that spot it fits very snugly.

Cheers

Vogon

dromar:

An other question:

Can the iron demon make a 6+2D6 moove in any direction, not only strait on?

In practic, can i say: i turn my iron demon back an then i moove strait 6+2D6 to contact an ennemi during the movement phase? So that it mean the ID can “charge” like the hellpit abomination on 360°

KramDratta:

@Dromar: No mate. It can only charge straight ahead.

dromar:

Sure?

And is it possible to moove 360° only 6ps and “charge” an ennemy?

nilbog:

It can’t pivot and move 6" into an enemy, as it has to stay 1" away from other units (BRB page 13). The only time it can “accidentally” charge is if it moves 6+2D6" and contacts an enemy without declaring a charge. Even then it has to be straight ahead.

Basically, it moves normally if its moving 6", but if it moves faster, or charges, it’s in a straight line. Remember units can’t pivot before charging (otherwise there would be no point having a charge arc, and keeping things out of it).

KramDratta:

This is my question:

Iron Daemon

a. Since it cannot wheel or turn during a �?~charge�?T, does this mean that when it contacts a unit it does not �?~close the door�?T and the unit �?~closes the door instead�?T. The reason I�?Tm asking this is that the �?~closing of the door�?T is specified as a wheel.

b. It can happen that the Iron Daemon is in a position whereby it is in the front arc of a unit, but if it moves straight ahead, it contact only the flank of the unit. Normally this means that the chargers stop 1�?� away from the enemy and the charge is failed. Does the Iron Daemon follow the normal rule or does the special movement rule over-ride the rules
This is Forgeworld’s reply:

Sent: 20 December 2011 11:02

Hi there.

The intention with the Iron Daemons�?T movement with regard to charges is that if it makes contact with an enemy unit then the normal rules apply for combats and the Iron Daemon is allowed to close the door. This is the only time that the model is allowed to wheel. When Charging the Iron Daemon must make contact with the facing of the charged unit that it started in otherwise it counts as a failed charge.

Thanks

Tris Buckroyd

Baggronor:

This is the only time that the model is allowed to wheel. When Charging the Iron Daemon must make contact with the facing of the charged unit that it started in otherwise it counts as a failed charge.
Dumbest. Ruling. Ever.
Either it should be allowed to turn or it should just hit what it hits.

Stiopa:

Maybe I’m reading this differently. Just one question: What is the benefit of this 2d6 move over standard charge?

KramDratta:

If you roll a double 1 you fail. Also if you don’t contact the charged unit you just move 2D6 inches forward.

To be honest, I could live with the charging issue if they changed the Thunderstomp to grinding attacks (or all it to Thunderstomp everything). It should be unstoppable…whereas at it now stands an eagle or a cavalry model will pin it down.

Thommy H:

There’s already a rule for what they’re trying to represent: Random Movement. Why didn’t they just give it that, but say it can’t pivot before moving?

zhatan87:

Why didn't they just give it that, but say it can't pivot before moving?
Too easy:)

It's me, or the iron daemon is not so easy to play?... Especially the skull cracker version which should not see so many fights with such a rule?...
The steam cannonade (and the iron daemon version) seems to be a good investment now... At least, it can fire, the time to be right placed for a counter charge (provided that the opponent doesn't move its own units, or the target is locked in hand to hand:)...)

Wifstrand:

I have only recently gotten an Iron Daemon and I must say I love the model, it is easily one of my favourites (except for the chains around two sets of wheels… Damnation…).

However, it does seem quite tricky to use, though it is no doubt effective (except when facing off against light cavalry/warmachine hunters). To me it seems like it is a second wave charger: hit anything that is already in close combat and you’re bound to really whittle them down - especially if you use the Skullcracker variant!

Anywho, I echo whoever said Daemonsmiths should be able to be mounted on Iron Daemons… It would be insanely powerful since it would no longer have trouble fighting the beforementioned light cavalry/warmachine hunters! A man can dream…

KramDratta:

I forgot who it was (apologies) but they mentioned an army with 3 Iron Daemons, 1 SkullCrusher flanked by 2 ‘normal’ Iron Daemons… that ensures that nothing escapes from the charge path :slight_smile:

& +1 for the Iron Daemon as a mount !!

Ragnarov:

What happend if elf eagle attacked Iron Daemon? Can use ID thunder-stomp attacks?

KramDratta:

@Ragnarov: No, since the eagle is a Monstrous Beast you cannot Thunderstomp. However, you do get 3 WS4 S3 attacks !! So the unstoppable Iron Daemon costing 300+ pts (with upgrades) is pinned down by a 50pt eagle…awesome!!